what do you think about STIs?

what do you think?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
Dont that have issue with stuff breaking on hard lauches? I hear the rear ends don't hold up that well.

Any AWD car will break something if you constantly do high RPM launches. The rear ends are fine. I love the misinformation floating around in this thread. :shrug:

BLOWN PONY

Established Member
I would drive the hell outta one!

But the insurance is crazy high!

HOSTIL

Established Member
i don't like the way they sound. Overall I think its a pretty nice car and would make a good daily or great winter car.

HOSTIL

Established Member
I'm sure the same misinformation floats around the STI boards about mustangs:shrug:

Any AWD car will break something if you constantly do high RPM launches. The rear ends are fine. I love the misinformation floating around in this thread. :shrug:

03cobrarocks

Established Member
If you want moddability, dont get a WRX/STi. Buddy has a 06 WRX and has put a shitload of money into it (20g setup + support, new clutch and built tranny) and can barely pull away from a S1 SRT4. Gets eaten alive by most bolton Evo's. all the dsm's in the area laugh because he spent more on his tranny than most of us did on our entire cars + setup and walk all over him.

It turns nice and drives nice, but thats about the extent of its abilities, and you can do the same on a Evo for less and get better results.

I would have to agree with this guy, I have NEVER seen or come across a fast sti anywhere! I raced some "special edition" red with white stripes once that claimed 400+ and we went from a stop he launched out about 2 cars and by top of 2nd I was running him down, 3rd it was over for him.... I would say go evo

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
I would have to agree with this guy, I have NEVER seen or come across a fast sti anywhere! I raced some "special edition" red with white stripes once that claimed 400+ and we went from a stop he launched out about 2 cars and by top of 2nd I was running him down, 3rd it was over for him.... I would say go evo

Somebody was yanking your chain. There's no 'special edition' STIs in the US. In 2007 they made a limited edition without the spoiler and slightly different interior, but the power was the same as other models.

Last edited:

langod

Cobra: The Anti-hybrid
Established Member
Nice cars, go fast and handle great. Will hand out a beating to just about anything normally found on the street below the level of Cobras, Vettes & Vipers.

The STi 6 speed is a tough piece of machinery. (It's the WRX 5 speed's that are known for breakage.)

Do a spoiler delete and it doesn't even look too bad.

97cobra1

Established Member
The STi has a 6 speed transmission that is completely different than the WRX 5 speed.

I know that. That's why i said i don't know much about them, and specified that the 5 speed in the wrx's i have personally seen explode numerous times.

Fuerza

Established Member
I personally like the Mitsubishi EVO 8/9 more than that model STI. I will say that that model STI looks better than the current model hatchback STI IMO.

astrocreep96

Inevitable
Established Member
Premium Member
Somebody was yanking your chain. There's no 'special edition' STIs in the US. In 2007 they made a limited edition without the spoiler and slightly different interior, but the power was the same as other models.

Easy Street/ESX STi. Look it up.

I say go with an Evo. I loved mine and I miss it still. Get the 2005+ Evo 8 or the Evo 9. No reason to waste time on the STi (although the first generation here looked pretty good).

Users who are viewing this thread