Prelude to my radical twin turbo build (pic heavy)

rodfarva

Established Member
This winter, I've been quite busy with several projects on the car including weight reduction and adding a 10-point cage. My plan is to continue running the stock long block and Whipple 2.9 until late-summer or fall, and then the motor is coming out for a radical, custom twin-turbo build. Be warned, some of the photos to follow are not for the faint of heart. Charles at G.R.E.A.D Tuning has been instrumental in this project with tuning, technical assistance, and allowing me to use shop space.

Just getting started
dashbefore.jpg

Look at that massive, bulky heater/ac/blower assembly
dashbefore2.jpg

Minus a few unnecessary items
100_1624.jpg

No before pic of this, but trust me, the fat has been trimmed before reinstalling it
100_1625.jpg

Now you see it
100_1605.jpg

Now you don't. The rear parcel shelf and supports needed to be cut out in order to prepare for installation of a rear firewall that is needed for the future fuel cell.
100_1609.jpg

Cage is in and is being painted
100_1615.jpg

Another view
100_1613.jpg

And another one
100_1614.jpg

Another one
100_1617.jpg

The top portion of the new rear firewall
100_1633.jpg

Another view
100_1632.jpg

The front of the rear firewall. The firewall itself (in order to be NHRA compliant) is made of 0.032" aluminum sheet with the covering that you see in the pics. I still need to finish the piece that covers the floor where the rear seat bottom was.
100_1646.jpg

The interior is close to being put back together.
100_1636.jpg

The bars fit fairly tight
100_1644.jpg

Still need to finish the custom rear seat delete bottom.
100_1640.jpg

bye-bye evap system crap
100_1593.jpg

Those little guys...I wouldn't worry about those little guys. Many more of those will be coming out a little bit down the road when the standalone ECU (Big Stuff 3) goes in
100_1618.jpg

the heavy, old front brakes
100_1578.jpg

The new and much lighter front brakes
strange2.jpg

I guess my right calf will be getting a workout (yes, I had to make and run custom new brake lines to most of the car)
100_1595.jpg

The new manual master cylinder before I painted over the ugly green color
100_1594.jpg

Last edited:

rodfarva

Established Member
I forgot to mention that the car is now down to 3320 pounds with 1/4 tank fuel and no driver, which I think is pretty good considering the iron 5.4 block, heavy Whipple blower, and full 10 point cage.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
That's awesome, but just curious why would you rip apart a shelby to do this?? Why not just start with a body in white or something?? Again it's a awesome build :beer:

GOTSVT?

This Is Absolution
Established Member
Nice job! I commend you for going this far. I know people will cry SHELBY WHAT ARE YOU DOING!!!
Its a friggin car, and you are enjoying it how you want to enjoy it!
Well done!

rodfarva

Established Member
That's awesome, but just curious why would you rip apart a shelby to do this?? Why not just start with a body in white or something?? Again it's a awesome build :beer:

It was not the plan to go this far with this car, but one thing led to another, and here I am.

Nice job! I commend you for going this far. I know people will cry SHELBY WHAT ARE YOU DOING!!!
Its a friggin car, and you are enjoying it how you want to enjoy it!
Well done!

Thanks!!! I agree.

CPRsm

DANG kid, you've been putting in some hours !! That bar looks great in there. I'm trying not to be like you. Laid on my back for 2 hours the other day convincing myself not to mini tub the damn car.

Got anymore more of the dash pics of the bar ? Custom ? All the AC and all that left out completely or just for bar in stall ?

rodfarva

Established Member
DANG kid, you've been putting in some hours !! That bar looks great in there. I'm trying not to be like you. Laid on my back for 2 hours the other day convincing myself not to mini tub the damn car.

Got anymore more of the dash pics of the bar ? Custom ? All the AC and all that left out completely or just for bar in stall ?

I thought about doing a mini-tub, but it doesn't look like it would help much on these cars due to the placement of the rear frame rails. I've debated backhalfing the car, but I am holding off for now.

Yeah, the AC and heat are gone. I'll try to get some more pics of the front bars and the dash in a day or two.

Users who are viewing this thread