Buying a 15+ F-150, need help choosing engine

nickf2005

Established Member
I have both a 15 super crew 4x4 with the 2.7tt and a 16 super crew 4x4 with the 3.5tt. I use the 15 for work have almost 80k miles not 1 issue, 22mpg. It also has the tow packag, I’ve towed a car on a flatbed with zero issue plenty of power. The only compliant I have on the 2.7 is that stupid auto stop which shuts you down if your stopped at a light. You can hit a button to disable each time u get in, pain in the ass! The 3.5 doesn’t have this but I’ve read 18 and beyond all will that this stupid feature.

I've read some posts about people pulling the switch out of the dash and putting a jumper wire in to make the vehicle think it's depressed at startup. Also, others are putting an inline switch under the dash to mimic the same thing.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
I've read some posts about people pulling the switch out of the dash and putting a jumper wire in to make the vehicle think it's depressed at startup. Also, others are putting an inline switch under the dash to mimic the same thing.

Or you can get a tune that will shut it off permanently while gaining more power!

AAG

Established Member
I use the 15 for work have almost 80k miles not 1 issue, 22mpg. It also has the tow packag, I’ve towed a car on a flatbed with zero issue plenty of power. The only compliant I have on the 2.7 is that stupid auto stop which shuts you down if your stopped at a light. You can hit a button to disable each time u get in, pain in the ass!

It's a pain in the ass to hit a button each time you start it? C'mon now lol. Be thankful you can actually turn it off, unlike some GM cars. I think you can also bypass it by tricking the system into thinking you're towing something by having the brake light harness connected.

gasyone

Put Her In Jail!
Established Member
It's a pain in the ass to hit a button each time you start it? C'mon now lol. Be thankful you can actually turn it off, unlike some GM cars. I think you can also bypass it by tricking the system into thinking you're towing something by having the brake light harness connected.

Lol ok maybe not a pain but i do say many choice words when i forget to disable

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

01turbowolf

ford tech
Established Member
Ford driveability and gas heavy line tech here. I have a 2013 5.0 myself and find I wish I would have gotten 3.5 as the reliability is not to far from each other and I'm now towing a 5k lb travel trailer lol.
But for the choice among those engines in 15+ for me it comes down to
2.7= fuel economy
5.0= sound and percieved reliability
3.5= towing and power (x10 if 17-18).
A few 2.7 trucks blew up coolant out the exhaust and such. 5.0 still has valve problems like the 4.6 dohc and block distortion. 3.5 eco weird driveability problems, leaky from front covers and coolant tube fittings.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
Not dramatic no. Best way to control fuel economy is with your right foot

People tend to forget that it is a big brick going through the air. At 55-60 on a country highway I have gotten mine to do 25mpg+ hand calculated in my 3.5TT.

Easy, smooth inputs can mean a good amount on your gas mileage.

Sent from your mom’s sex drawer using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
Lol ok maybe not a pain but i do say many choice words when i forget to disable

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

I don't know why, but that shutoff feature pissed off my wife to no end.

I would hit the button again, to turn it back on, while she wasn't looking to get her to flip out about the truck shutting off at a light.

nickf2005

Established Member
People tend to forget that it is a big brick going through the air. At 55-60 on a country highway I have gotten mine to do 25mpg+ hand calculated in my 3.5TT.

Easy, smooth inputs can mean a good amount on your gas mileage.

Sent from your mom’s sex drawer using the svtperformance.com mobile app
I've noticed that anything over 72 to 75 kills my mileage in my 3.5TT. Luckily, my work commute is 65 tops. Can get around 20MPG combined on my 45 mile round trip. That's all according to the truck cluster. I'm too lazy to hand claculate.

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
is there a vast difference between the 5.0 and 3.5 ecoboost for fuel mileage?

Most people are able to get 20-21mpg on the 5.0, the ecoboost 3.5 seems most get about 18-19mpg. Close in range for mpg.

Zemedici

Established Member
I don't know why, but that shutoff feature pissed off my wife to no end.

I would hit the button again, to turn it back on, while she wasn't looking to get her to flip out about the truck shutting off at a light.

My dad rages the **** out when his truck does it - I do the same shit. He about punches the dash lolol

jeffh81

Here’s KingBlack
Established Member
Some guys on the F150 forum used forscan to turn off the auto stop trash

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
I”ll be damned. Sounds like a good gokart powerplant
Lol. The new fiesta st in the UK is getting a 3cylinder 1.5 ecoboost motor. The one in the fusion is a 4 cyinder that replaced the 1.6 ecoboost.

jeffh81

Here’s KingBlack
Established Member
Lol. The new fiesta st in the UK is getting a 3cylinder 1.5 ecoboost motor. The one in the fusion is a 4 cyinder that replaced the 1.6 ecoboost.

Fit in the Polaris Slingshot then

Users who are viewing this thread