KIA Motors Saved My Life And My Girlfriends Life

leftlane86gt

Established Member
This past Saturday evening we had just left the house to head to town. We were about mile from the house when a guy driving a Ford Ranger decided to make a left turn right in front us without even stopping first. He just cut the wheel to left trying to pull into a church parking lot where he supposed to meeting someone. It happened so fast, I never got a chance to hit the brakes till the impact happened. We hit him doing about 55mph. We were both transported to a local hospital and the driver was as well. Never getting a chance to speak with county officers about the driver of the Ranger so we couldn't get any answers till Monday when we picked up the accident report. The driver of the Ranger had a suspended license, no insurance and was 3 times over the legal limit. An open bottle of vodka was in his truck but, he told police he only had 2 beers before driving. Typical of a drunk driver. As for the people he was meeting in the parking lot. They were the previous owners of the truck and was giving them the last payment he owed on the truck. The drivers side door and back door got damaged because after the impact, he spun all the way around in the air and you can see the tire mark on the top part of the door. The drivers door window was broke out with my shoulder and my head. We both pretty much walked way with bumps, bruises and pulled muscles. Thank you KIA for your safety and airbag placement. I also think that my Mother, who passed away 2 months ago, was watching over us as well.

The real kick in the d*ck was, on Monday right before we picked up the accident, her mom called told us the driver of the Ranger is my Girlfriends cousin. She was taken out the KIA by EMT's so she never saw the driver of the Ranger or we would known that night. Pics below.......

GREADDynoDayKAICrash137.jpg

GREADDynoDayKAICrash129.jpg

GREADDynoDayKAICrash133.jpg

GREADDynoDayKAICrash132.jpg

GREADDynoDayKAICrash125.jpg

GREADDynoDayKAICrash145.jpg

The Drunk Drivers Ride.
GREADDynoDayKAICrash134.jpg

GREADDynoDayKAICrash135.jpg

GREADDynoDayKAICrash136.jpg

ItsReal93

Established Member
Holy crap!! You guys are so lucky! Glad your both ok!

Never understood drinking and driving. Just doesn't seem worth it to me. Not to mention the cost of getting caught and the risk of hurting/killing someone else...wouldn't be able to live with myself.

Last edited:

Powershift03

Clapped out race car
Established Member
Wow, glad to hear you guys are OK. Scary stuff when you have zero time to react. I won't be shocked if you guys are feeling side affects of this for quite some time (or even the rest of your lives).

I've been hit by 3 drunk drivers. 2 of which happened while I was still employed with the Sheriff Dept. And, all 3 times I was sitting at red lights!

Needless to say I have ZERO tolerance for people who choose to drive drunk.

FstRyde03

10th Anniv. Convertible
Established Member
Man really glad you're allright, I love having a drink as much as the next guy but come on people need to realize DON'T DRINK AND DRIVE!

oldmodman

Established Member
No insurance? That figures.

Take his ass to court and own it.

This type of accident happened to an old friend that lives in Lake Tahoe. He took the woman that hit him to court and won a little over a hundred thousand.
He was able to attach her house and force a sale (against her wishes to put it mildly). And he got the full amount of his judgement as well as attorney and court costs. During the trial she tried to plead poverty but his forensic accountant found the house she was hiding, by leaving it in an ex-husbands name.

Drunks drivers deserve to lose everything after injuring someone in a traffic accident.

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
Kia took a pretty good hit and I think it stood up well.

Good to hear you guys are ok! :beer:

leftlane86gt

Established Member
Thanks everyone for the well wishes. The drunk driver being family or not, we are taking NO pity on him. He had none for us, so we will make sure this is pursued to the fullest.

Nvr_Spds

Pushrod > 4v
Established Member
Thanks everyone for the well wishes. The drunk driver being family or not, we are taking NO pity on him. He had none for us, so we will make sure this is pursued to the fullest.

Great to hear!!

It sucks that it happened, but glad to see your both OK.. It could have been MUCH worse!!

I ****en HATE drunk drivers!!

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Accidents like this remind you how fast things can change. Glad you're alright.

Amen to that! Folks, please drive carefully this Thanksgiving. Don't drink and drive. Drive defensively. Above all, be safe.

Tony, I am happy to hear that you and your girlfriend weren't seriously injured, because you surely could have been. I hope the other driver is prosecuted to the max, even if he is your girlfriend's cousin. No excuse for DUI. We all have choices, and often our choices directly affect the innocent. Again, I'm really glad you're both okay. Have a Happy and Safe Thanksgiving!

zak88lx

Future SVT *****
Established Member
Good to hear that you are both safe!

The KIA and Hyundai vehicles are very safe.
My wife just purchased an AWD 2011 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited and we were very impressed with the build quality and the safety features.

Occupant-surrounding airbags
All models come standard with six airbags: two advanced front airbags, two seat-mounted side-impact airbags, and side-curtain, rollover-sensing, roof-mounted airbags.

s_2012%20Hyundai%20Santa%20Fe_4.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread