Put down a deposit on next "GT500"?

Pointby

Established Member
Local dealer called me and asked if I wanted to throw my hat in the ring. He already has one deposit and he usually only gets 2 allocations per year. Its a real gamble right now since there is nothing definitive from Ford about .... well.... anything. But, it would be a $500 deposit, for a #2 spot at MSRP. Thoughts?

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
#1: Any deposit that's refundable, is a joke and shouldn't even be taken lol If I take a deposit, it's non-refundable. From a business owner's standpoint, why would I tie my hands, and leave yours free?

#2: Who in their right mind would put down any type of deposit when 0 credible information has been released? This car could be YEARS out of production.

Pointby

Established Member
#1. Non refundable #2 Never said I was in my right mind. But if I do not like the new GT500 my dealer would let me put it towards a GT350 or raptor. As long as he gets the business, he's flexible.

#2: Who in their right mind would put down any type of deposit when 0 credible information has been released? This car could be YEARS out of production.[/QUOTE]

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
..... Your quote was very confusing.

If he's cool enough to give you a shout way ahead of time, just tell him to call you once information comes out. Giving him a deposit now is worthless.

Booky

Who's Pick'n The Banjo Here?
Established Member
If the OP, or anyone else for that matter, would like to send me a $500 deposit on the first Airborne Edition GT500 (Yes, the car will actually fly) at MSRP, I would be happy to "hold" your deposit and place your name on a list.

BladeX10

Established Member
Dont fool yourself. You will never get a new GT500(if they ever decide to build one) for MSRP. Every Ford dealer is going to mark these cars up $10-$40k like they always do.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Dont fool yourself. You will never get a new GT500(if they ever decide to build one) for MSRP. Every Ford dealer is going to mark these cars up $10-$40k like they always do.

You are the fooled one. lol

Poisonous West

Established Member
IDK. But I don't think the dealer would let go the next GT500 at MSRP especially the dealer would only get 2 of this special car per year.

OH3Cobra

HP is my vice
Established Member
My dealer went to the dealer meeting where Raj Nar talked about the upcoming vehicle with no details expect that it wouldn't disappoint. They were shown a rendering, that's it. I have an agreement with this dealer to buy one at Sticker. I've been building a relationship with him and we talk frequently.

On another note I did ask a friend at Ford for their best input. The text was simple - 5.2L, Cross plane crank, forced induction. No flames please - just chiming in with what my buddy sent in a text.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Some dealerships have a philosophy of never marking their cars up. I know the Ford dealer I used for my '03 Cobra had that policy. MSRP max. I traveled 45 minutes to deal with that dealership. Most of us remember multiple threads discussing dealer markups. And we know some do it on limited availability models while others sell them at MSRP or discount. The dealership who doesn't mark up gets my repeat business. Those who do substantially mark up won't see me again. That's just me.

nxhappy

Established Member
#1: Any deposit that's refundable, is a joke and shouldn't even be taken lol If I take a deposit, it's non-refundable. From a business owner's standpoint, why would I tie my hands, and leave yours free?

#2: Who in their right mind would put down any type of deposit when 0 credible information has been released? This car could be YEARS out of production.
listen to this man

Shaker1

Walkin' on Sunshine
Established Member
I put a $500 refundable deposit on a dealer's first Mach 1 allocation back in 2003. Dealer delivered the car just below MSRP. It happens. Dealer knew they could sell the car if I backed out. Win/win is the way I see it.

Going to be a long wait though.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
My dealer went to the dealer meeting where Raj Nar talked about the upcoming vehicle with no details expect that it wouldn't disappoint. They were shown a rendering, that's it. I have an agreement with this dealer to buy one at Sticker. I've been building a relationship with him and we talk frequently.

On another note I did ask a friend at Ford for their best input. The text was simple - 5.2L, Cross plane crank, forced induction. No flames please - just chiming in with what my buddy sent in a text.

What does he do at Ford?
I actually believe that as its still very vague. He said what he could which is not much.

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
" But, it would be a $500 deposit, for a #2 spot at MSRP. Thoughts? "
There are different levels of crazy, this is just one of them !!

Users who are viewing this thread