V6 6r80 vs V8 6r80

Status
Not open for further replies.

3 oh 2

Established Member
Ok I did my 6r80 swap a little over 4 months ago . I used a v6 6r80 with 10k miles because could not find a v8 6r80. I notice the v6 case was different bolt pattern in the bell housing . I order a v8 6r80 case from ford which was $216.00 with my shop discount. My dad who has been in the transmission business for 30+ years did the case swap. I decided to use everything from the v6 unit since it was a good working unit because I wanted to see if it will work and it has been holding strong. So far I have put 3k miles and like 30+ 1/4 mile runs and no problems what so ever .

nicksender

Established Member
That is some good information for people considering the swap and looking to cut down on the cost.

I think we will see a lot more of the MT82 to 6R80 swaps in the future based on what I see across the various forums and the issues many have had from the first 2011 cars up to and including some 2014 cars.

bob450

Established Member
good job many people ask me about this now you have the answer.:banana:
can you post part number for case?:shrug:
can you also check if raptor and f150 6r80 will fit??:beer:

3 oh 2

Established Member
Its because of how terrible the mt82 is that I went to a 6r80 swap cost less than getting the tremec 6spd

nicksender

Established Member
Its because of how terrible the mt82 is that I went to a 6r80 swap cost less than getting the tremec 6spd

I completely understand where you are coming from. I am looking at 2011-2013 used GT's and was looking for a manual initially last Fall. I have test drove a few and one of them had shifting issues on the test drive. I also have a friend that sold his MT82 GT for an Auto GT as he was having various trans issues on a stock vehicle and his particular dealer was trying to say it was his driving.

You can also read about a few people who have swapped to Auto's in the Boss Mustangs or traded their Boss's for Auto GT's which is kind of disappointing for them after spending that kind of coin.

I know you are only going to hear about the problems online; but I have seen/heard enough to overlook my love of a manual and get an Auto GT for this current Mustang. I hope they offer a more reliable manual in the 2015 and up GT's?

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Never in the history of Mustangs has the auto been this superior over the standard issued manual.

How times have changed.

SC2011GT

Til' The Wheels Fall Off
Established Member
The V6 transmission has one less clutch (2 total) in it vs. a V8 trans.

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
They have to have the same number of clutches or it wouldn't be a six speed.

Now the number of clutch plates per clutch pack could very well be different, this would be resolved by just using the V-8 spec clutch frictions, steels and pressure plates. Not sure if the clutch drums themselves are different.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
So what about just using an f150 6r80.

Deespeed99

Established Member
Sorry but thats not true

Actually he is right about it being different. Go look in the service manual. The V6 trans is not as strong as the V8 and is not the same internally. I tried to also tell you this in your for sale thread.

Last edited:

Deespeed99

Established Member
Ill actually post the differences when i get home later. I personally would NOT trust a V6 trans for higher HP applications.

OP make sure you stop telling people the wrong or misleading information.

Last edited:

90goldtsiawd

here 4 da laffs & cruelty
Established Member
Will these transmissions fit in a New Edge or other body style Mustang or does it take a lot of work(other than changing the bell housing)?

3 oh 2

Established Member
Ill actually post the differences when i get home later. I personally would NOT trust a V6 trans for higher HP applications.

OP make sure you stop telling people the wrong or misleading information.

Im saying these because we rebuild my friends 2012 gt 6r80 and I had mine on the bench aldo we didnt see a difference on the internals . That all I have to say I need to prove nothing im happy and my car is runing strong

stang910

Established Member
Will these transmissions fit in a New Edge or other body style Mustang or does it take a lot of work(other than changing the bell housing)?

The biggest issue isn't if it'll fit, but how to control it. I'm sure once a controller is made you'll see these transmissions going in other cars.

SC2011GT

Til' The Wheels Fall Off
Established Member
They have to have the same number of clutches or it wouldn't be a six speed.

Now the number of clutch plates per clutch pack could very well be different, this would be resolved by just using the V-8 spec clutch frictions, steels and pressure plates. Not sure if the clutch drums themselves are different.

Correct. The 3.7 trans has fewer clutch PLATES. My poor choice of wording, sorry. The drums are absolutely the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread