VMP Triple Pass-Dual Fan Heat Exchanger

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
Finally got my VMP Triple Pass-Dual Fan Heat Exchanger and Reische 170' Thermostat installed. Very happy with results - Engine temps between 165' and 175', and IAT2 that didn't top 120' even in slow moving traffic.

Thanks to my good friend kpinco for the mini-group buy he negotiated on the HE, and Ky GT500 for the stencil to complete the job!

20160527_162716.jpg

Last edited:

RangerDLA

Established Member
How hard is the thermostat install? Any directions around? I have one to install, but haven't done it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Very nice!
Looks great and will help those IAT's. Win-win!

little-dw

Established Member
I just did this same install 2 weeks ago. Being that I had the track pack car made the routing of the hoses a lot trickier. With the help of another forum member here (railroad) and VMP, I was able to manage something out. Being that I had the track pack car and the extra coolers on the front sides of the car, it was a lot harder. The instructions were for a stock GT500. I ended up having to run the passenger side hose directly under the headlight (had to bend a metal tab up for the hose to fit. all the factory bends fit perfectly and no kinks. The drivers side was the problem, and thats where @railroad came in and helped. I ended up using the stock hoses, to a male to male coupler and a piece of heavy duty hose. worked like a charm. Heres a few pictures. The middle picture is for fitment purposes, but you get the idea. it it held on by 2 screwband clamps on the inlet of the HE.

IMG_20160513_143108.jpg IMG_20160513_143321.jpg IMG_20160513_220941.jpg

Last edited:

little-dw

Established Member
+1! Also, how high did you IAT2 temps get before you installed these?

mine were anywhere from 125-140 for the IAT2... I did the vmp triple pass, 170* thermostat, and the aluminum tanks. I have not seen my temps go above 115 and they are as low as 85.

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
I just did this same install 2 weeks ago. Being that I had the track pack car made the routing of the hoses a lot trickier. With the help of another forum member here (railroad) and VMP, I was able to manage something out. Being that I had the track pack car and the extra coolers on the front sides of the car, it was a lot harder. The instructions were for a stock GT500. I ended up having to run the passenger side hose directly under the headlight (had to bend a metal tab up for the hose to fit. all the factory bends fit perfectly and no kinks. The drivers side was the problem, and thats where @railroad came in and helped. I ended up using the stock hoses, to a male to male coupler and a piece of heavy duty hose. worked like a charm. Heres a few pictures. The middle picture is for fitment purposes, but you get the idea. it it held on by 2 screwband clamps on the inlet of the HE.
Interesting. Did you specify that you have an SVTTP care when ordering your HE? (There are two versions - one for Base cars and the other for SVTTP cars.) The SVTTP version is tweaked to better fit with the Track Pack's additional plumbing.

I also spy an upgraded radiator under your hood. Very nice!

mine were anywhere from 125-140 for the IAT2... I did the vmp triple pass, 170* thermostat, and the aluminum tanks. I have not seen my temps go above 115 and they are as low as 85.
This is similar to my experience. My IAT2 is consistently 20'-30' cooler than with the stock HE. (Note that I have yet to really drive it hard with the new HE, but that will come with next month's Pikes Peak Airstrip Attack... FWIW, I my IAT2 climbed above 140' at last year's event.)

little-dw

Established Member
Interesting. Did you specify that you have an SVTTP care when ordering your HE? (There are two versions - one for Base cars and the other for SVTTP cars.) The SVTTP version is tweaked to better fit with the Track Pack's additional plumbing.

I also spy an upgraded radiator under your hood. Very nice!

This is similar to my experience. My IAT2 is consistently 20'-30' cooler than with the stock HE. (Note that I have yet to really drive it hard with the new HE, but that will come with next month's Pikes Peak Airstrip Attack... FWIW, I my IAT2 climbed above 140' at last year's event.)

I'll agree that 20-30 degrees is a good number for cooler IAT2 temps with the thermostat and HE upgrade

I didnt have the option to choose between the base and SVTTP car. I had my HE laying around for a month or two before i tackled the whole thing. (wanted to go ahead and do tanks, thermostat and all) so maybe it wasnt an option at the time. I watched the video and went through the instructions via the PDF and neither had the extra cooling lines/small radiators as the SVTTP car does. I called and spoke with a vmp technician who does the installs and he told me it was different, that there was a thin piece of metal that you can bend towards you under the headlight to make clearance for the hose, and it worked out very well. Also @railroad said if he could do it again, he would have gotten a heavier duty hose...so I went ahead and did that. all came out well, but trust me I was ready to yank it all out and go back to stock and sell it!...just took a breather and talked with vmp and I was good to go the next morning

GT500wantabe

Established Member
I don't have any logs to verify but from what I have seen on my SCT after going WOT it seems my IAT2 is somewhat cooler just with my 170* tstat. With the engine being 20* cooler then perhaps less heat is radiated to the intake as well.

Softballer77

Established Member
I just ordered mine last night. Gonna swap the radiator too (haven't decided what to go with though) and 170 tstat at the same time. Both of my stock ones have gotten pretty beat up from all the crap cars toss up at you on rallys...plus I like running in the True Street NMCA events. 3 back to back runs after a 30 mile cruise. Every time on the 3rd pass my times are .5 slower. Figuring this will cure that.

little-dw

Established Member
I just ordered mine last night. Gonna swap the radiator too (haven't decided what to go with though) and 170 tstat at the same time. Both of my stock ones have gotten pretty beat up from all the crap cars toss up at you on rallys...plus I like running in the True Street NMCA events. 3 back to back runs after a 30 mile cruise. Every time on the 3rd pass my times are .5 slower. Figuring this will cure that.

One thing I do notice, the VMP Heat Exchanger's fins bend a lot easier than the stock unit. certain bugs will have you down there with a comb or toothpick straightening them back out. I've had to do this once or twice now. still satisfied with the heat exchanger

I still have the custom car grill inserts I guess I could use, but still on the fence about the looks.

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
One thing I do notice, the VMP Heat Exchanger's fins bend a lot easier than the stock unit. certain bugs will have you down there with a comb or toothpick straightening them back out. I've had to do this once or twice now. still satisfied with the heat exchanger.
+1 to all this.

Softballer77

Established Member
Anyone who installed this, did they have an upgraded radiator as well? Wondering if there were any fitment issues with this unit and an upgraded radiator mounted as well.

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
Anyone who installed this, did they have an upgraded radiator as well? Wondering if there were any fitment issues with this unit and an upgraded radiator mounted as well.
I don't have an upgraded radiator so I can't comment definitively. Based on little-dw's pics, he appears to have both installed.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
Radiator is well out of the way of the heat exchanger. C&R's radiator infringes more on the space between the radiator and the FEAD. In fact they have you cut the radiator hoses down for fitment. I don't notice that my condenser moved any closer to the heat exchanger as it bolts to the radiator.

Users who are viewing this thread