'00 R #165 (VIN 1FAFP47H4YF223312) pronounced D.O.A.

flattrack53

Established Member
I find that pretty crazy for the car to land back in California somewhat local to your area. Did you end up buying another 00R?

PumpkinMaster

Masterpiecepumpkins
Established Member
No - after all we went through on that emotional rollercoaster ride, the family (okay, my wife...) is not on board with any other attempts at purchasing a car like that. Who knows, maybe in time...

mrmustang

Husband/Father/Son
Established Member
01/30/2013 4,052 California
Damage Report TOTAL LOSS VEHICLE
Vehicle declared a total loss
by an insurance company
Collision damage reported
CARFAX began reporting this information on 04/23/2013.

04/09/2013 4,059 California
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Poway, CA Title issued or updated
New owner reported
05/13/2013 California
Motor Vehicle Dept. Title or registration issued
to insurance company
05/13/2013 California
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Vallejo, CA SALVAGE TITLE/CERTIFICATE ISSUED
10/15/2013 4,452 California
Inspection Station
South El Monte, CA Passed emissions inspection

PumpkinMaster

Masterpiecepumpkins
Established Member
Thanks mrmustang,
I ran Carfax and saw same. That should help subsequent buyers understand what they are really buying. What I am sad about, is being told by Progressing Ins. adjustor that cars reported as "structural total loss" were in a special category that could no longer be registered for road use and they were going to destroy the title. - That was clearly B.S.! Had I known that we could overcome that, I would have retained the salvage and been the registered owner/driver of R#165, even as a salvage titled car. With on 4k mi. on her, there is plenty of life left to enjoy.

Kudos to the new owner for being able to resurrect her! (But a small part of me still cries, "It shoulda been me...." - Live, and learn...

GaryGrimm

Established Member
What a painful experience! My heart really goes out to you; and I feel you really need to pick up an R and have some fun. I must say, my wife is not supportive of my R (loud, noisy, uncomfortable, hot, no radio, kids can't ride in it, the R compound tires make the car smell like rubber; pretty much the exact opposite of an Infiniti) and I still ended up with one. It does cause the occasional argument; but believe me; it's worth it! Your wife will forgive you.. I think there are a couple for sale in California right now! I bought my car in L.A. and drove it up to the coast to WA and had the time of my life. Time for you to get a cashiers check and an airline ticket and bring a car home!!
~Gary
P.S. The cars are really that good!

GaryGrimm

Established Member
Gary, let me know if it becomes intolerable - I MAY be able to help you out by giving your R a "good" new home... LOL

Boy, my wife better not read this; she would happily see my R back out of the garage with a new owner! She about flipped when I told her I want to put the car up on a lift to protect it from our kids. She hates the idea of parking under my R.
~Gary

wallie40

Established Member
Hey OP. Sorry for your loss. I forwarded the article the my buddy who works for the DOI in Ca. Maybe he will post, he always has some interesting insight on these types of things.

-Paul

PumpkinMaster

Masterpiecepumpkins
Established Member
wallie40- I tried to work with D.O.I. to help with all the shit Progressive was pulling, and the person I worked with (elderly lady) seemed to have very little interest.

GaryGrimm- I know what you mean, my DD is a Mystichrome Terminator and my wife HATES how loud it is, the clutch is too stiff, and the attention it attracts. She has labeled it a "highschool boy toy", not suitable for "real" adults. -That's fine with me!

If anyone has a 2000 "R" F/S let me know!.. I plan to drive it, so doesn't have to be a low miler, or too perfect.

Ray Lucca

Established Member
As a good friend of the Pumpkin Master I too was surprised to see the car at C/C on Saturday. I hadn't seen this thread until now but I can tell you the angst and dissapointment he went through during this ordeal. We looked at the car and it was literally hit on all sides. The under-carriage and frame must have been bent as they listed it as a total loss. Now the question arises, how did the car arise from the dead to salvage title status. Did the Ins. Co. sell it to a Salvage Co., and then the process began, or??? I feel for you my friend... On the bright side, he is WAY under-selling his daily 04 Mystichrome Terminator Vert. The vehicle is totally insane and sounds like a Cup car when he jumps on it, and it's PERFECT.

PumpkinMaster

Masterpiecepumpkins
Established Member
Thanks Ray L. The process happened as usual: Ford/Progressive pronounced the car "totaled", then sold it to the salvagers. According to Progressive Ins., since the car was a "structural total loss" it was deemed unsafe to drive AND unrepairable to be safe to drive. Thus the title was to be destroyed during this exchange, and the car could only be used off-road after that. BUT... someone looked the other way to allow the car to be repaired regardless of it's salvage classification.

Based on my discussion with the new owner, this smells like an "inside" job. I am still investigating...

TFStang

Established Member
What a terrible situation. I'm sorry for all that you had to go through with this car. Hopefully when the sting wears off, you and your family will be on board for another. At least its good to know you have a nice Mystic Termi to hold you over.

On a side note, I wonder what the insurance company sold the car for...

P.S. Insurance companies suck! They love to collect, but are absolutely put out when it comes time to pay out. What did they think you were gonna do when this happened??? Give them a free pass and tell them not to worry about it? Ridiculous! I hope in the end you managed to get a fair settlement as it sounds like you went through quite a bit with this whole thing.

PumpkinMaster

Masterpiecepumpkins
Established Member
Yes the settlement was good. after 5 months of debating/battling with them. The salvage bid was $14K- we only passed on it because of being told on a structural total loss vehicle, the title would be destroyed and it could no longer be registered for street use. Therein lies the rub... because it IS back on the street for a different owner. :/

04Saleen281

Established Member
wallie40- I tried to work with D.O.I. to help with all the shit Progressive was pulling, and the person I worked with (elderly lady) seemed to have very little interest.

GaryGrimm- I know what you mean, my DD is a Mystichrome Terminator and my wife HATES how loud it is, the clutch is too stiff, and the attention it attracts. She has labeled it a "highschool boy toy", not suitable for "real" adults. -That's fine with me!

If anyone has a 2000 "R" F/S let me know!.. I plan to drive it, so doesn't have to be a low miler, or too perfect.

There is a turbo'd R in AZ that could be had under 30k. I talked to the guy before I bought mine out of PA. If you want his contact info, just PM me.

TFStang

Established Member
There is a turbo'd R in AZ that could be had under 30k. I talked to the guy before I bought mine out of PA. If you want his contact info, just PM me.

A turbo 00R would be sweet!!! How many miles did the car have and how much power does it make? Any Non Salvage 00R under $30K is an absolute STEAL!

Users who are viewing this thread