'02 GT vs Nissan 350Z

Martinrulz

Established Member
Well, I'm cruising down the main drag today and in my rearview I see the obvious looking nose of a 350 Z out back, '05 or '06 don't know and I'm sure he was stock but didn't talk to him. Anyway he's just following me for a bit then pulls up to me, I look over and was gonna give him :thumbsup: but just looked ahead with a serious look on his face. So we pull up to a stop light, me in the R lane and he in the L. I didn't really think he wanted to go but I thought I could faintly here him rev it a bit. So light turns green and he is gone, gets about 1/2 to 3/4 lead on me, I nail it and begin to pull back on him ever so slightly and end up maybe a half car on him when we stop. Only went to about 70-80 cause of traffic but it was fun none the less. When he pulled back up to me I gave him thumbs up and all he could muster was a serious type of a nod and we were on our way.

SaleenFiend

04 MC Cobra
Established Member
yea i dont know what it is with those guys.. i work at a Nissan Dealer in Baton Rouge, LA and it seems like all of them are completely stuck up (and rich.. to blow that money on that car) but its an easy kill in a late style GT across the rpm range

TORNATIC!!

Established Member
saleenfiend17 said:
yea i dont know what it is with those guys.. i work at a Nissan Dealer in Baton Rouge, LA and it seems like all of them are completely stuck up (and rich.. to blow that money on that car) but its an easy kill in a late style GT across the rpm range

I'm sorry to say the 350Z is a little faster than the 99-04 GT's. The difference is shown on top end. I've seen it too many times. In a 1/4 run it's always a great race stock for stock. Also I think our mustang's have the advantage in the aftermarket department.

SaleenFiend

04 MC Cobra
Established Member
no i dont know where you get your ideas?? top end more power? maybe after you put the 20pound turbo and after the lag kicks in! ive yet to witness a stock for stock race with a 350 on top.. matter of fact ill take one home this weekend and video it for ya sound good? ill make sure to do a light race.. 20mph 40mph and on just to show that your little wanna be 14.5 250z doesnt... doesnt

bssmith1220

Established Member
TORNATIC!! said:
I'm sorry to say the 350Z is a little faster than the 99-04 GT's. The difference is shown on top end. I've seen it too many times. In a 1/4 run it's always a great race stock for stock. Also I think our mustang's have the advantage in the aftermarket department.

And I am sorry to say that your wrong. I work at a nissan dealer and drive 350's all the time, and compared to my mustang they don't seem as fast. I have raced a few of the guys 350's here at work with intake, exhaust, etc. and haven't lost yet. And I have never experienced a mod motor car that was slow on the top end either.

JC300zx

Established Member
Obviously your Gt has pretty much all the bolt ons plus gears stock 350Z should feel slower. Im sure if your drove a 350Z with all the bolt ons plus an EVO 3.9 gear change it will compare to yours. Good kill to Martinrulz by the way. You come across A-hole drivers of every make and model and you think 350Z owners are snobs try out the euro crowd. As an owner of an M3 and S4 they are alot worse. Anyone in Chicago w/ a stock or mildly modded 00-04 (I/E) that wants a friendly run Im always down to see how slow us 350Z are...i promise I wont spray.

JC300zx

Established Member
saleenfiend17 said:
no i dont know where you get your ideas?? top end more power? maybe after you put the 20pound turbo and after the lag kicks in! ive yet to witness a stock for stock race with a 350 on top.. matter of fact ill take one home this weekend and video it for ya sound good? ill make sure to do a light race.. 20mph 40mph and on just to show that your little wanna be 14.5 250z doesnt... doesnt

What the hell are you trying to say? 14.5 250Z doesnt..doesnt :shrug: I dont know about where your at but here in Chicago we have more than 10+ FI 350Z and i dont know of any with a 20lb turbo. All the FI 350z i've sat in have very little lag (especially the single turbo ones) and most run from 6.5 to 11lbs of boost. They all run about 12.4-11.7 in the quarter mile so there pretty decent.

ZnusNV

Established Member
NyteByte said:
Uh oh.. Here we go again.

The 350Z guys are crawling out of the woodwork.

Wait until they play the "handling" card.. ;-)

Another quality post from NyteByte.

The 350Z is faster than an 99-04 Mustang in the straights. Period. I have driven both. I have driven in both. I have seen both on film and in person running stock for stock. The Stang can possibly stay within a car until 70 and after that it's game over for the Stang. GAME OVER means:

Put down your controller and let the next cat get a turn at StreetFighter.

I don't even have to discuss handling because that Mustang does dignify a comparison in that category.

Thanks NyteByte.

SVTCOBRAKID

Established Member
Rode in and drove my buddies 350 z, not slow, but definetly not fast. We raced an intake exhaust tune geared gt stang from a 40 roll, and the stang has us by 1 to 2 cars by 120 with us starting to pull back. His mods are intake full exhaust tune. I'm sure it would be a god run stock for stock. Take it easy

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
I've never seen a stock 350Z run better than 14.2
I saw a couple 99+ GT's do that.

And as far as handleing, ask the one I lapped on the road course several years ago when I was still playing with stock suspension.

Of course it could have been the driver.

I like they way they look and there quick for a V6 but they're not all that.

And yes, most of their drivers are snobs.

SpectorV

Established Member
Some tool in a new model infinity thought it would be fun to take off at a night and get in front of me. He tried... but it didnt happen :)

ZnusNV

Established Member
NyteByte said:
Hey! AnusNV is back!! I knew he'd show up sooner or later. He's a true 350Z evangelist and better than all of us Rustang guys, so watch out!

Any time!

Pypebyte,

I always appreciate the conversation. You know what they say, never turn down a free BBQ. ;-)

Never did I say I was better. Don't change the course of dialog friend.

And who said anything about "Rustang" ShytWype. I'm not condescending any vehicles here. I'm only pointing out facts as to deficiencies.

Oh yea...I made the switch to an S2K. So I'm not really concerned about who believes me concerning a Z.

Cheers. :beer:

Thanks!!

ZnusNV

Established Member
STAMPEDE3 said:
I've never seen a stock 350Z run better than 14.2
I saw a couple 99+ GT's do that.

And as far as handleing, ask the one I lapped on the road course several years ago when I was still playing with stock suspension.

Of course it could have been the driver.

I like they way they look and there quick for a V6 but they're not all that.

And yes, most of their drivers are snobs.

A good driver in a 350Z runs high 13s all day.

My best time was a 13.92 @ 100.7 stock and I'm not the greatest launch artist.

I have never, ever seen a 99-04 GT break 14.4. They are mid 14 cars on a good day.

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
AnusNV said:
I have never, ever seen a 99-04 GT break 14.4. They are mid 14 cars on a good day.

Nonsense. It's actually the other way around from what I've seen.

I drove my bone stock 99 GT to a 14.2@99 my very first time EVER at the track, and that's with a crappy 2.2 60 foot too. Many others here have also done the same.

I have never EVER seen a 350Z break into the 13's. I'm sure it can be done with the correct mods, but stock? Not very likely.

JC300zx

Established Member
The best stock or stockish Gt I've seen at great lakes have ran Mid to low 14's. I have seen a full bolt-on Bullitt run 13.5's the same day. The best stock 350z Ive seen at Joliet Route 66 was a 13.8X but i agree ive seen a majority of the Z's run 14-14.5 but 99% of them were auto's. Don't tell me there are stock Mustangs pulling 13's on the stock crap 245's the factory gives them.

joegt38

Established Member
JC300zx said:
The best stock or stockish Gt I've seen at great lakes have ran Mid to low 14's. I have seen a full bolt-on Bullitt run 13.5's the same day. The best stock 350z Ive seen at Joliet Route 66 was a 13.8X but i agree ive seen a majority of the Z's run 14-14.5 but 99% of them were auto's. Don't tell me there are stock Mustangs pulling 13's on the stock crap 245's the factory gives them.
Ah Jay...
YES I have it was at the NMRA RT66. (record breaking track), there was a 01 red GT running between 13.8 and 13.9 at 100-101 bone stock every pass... Again RT 66 has to be the best prepped track around.

This topic has been beat to death, Both cars are very close from a roll and a dig. The higher speeds belong to the 350 due to the gearing and tad more power. The dig and slow roll belong to the GT. Jay You witnessed a slow roll between me and a "stick" 350Z on LSD when my "AUTO" only had a gear and catback, I beat him from a slow roll twice. BTW my auto was very strong near stock, I really never had a problem with any GT or bullitt when I was near stock either. Now the Black 04 GT I had (well me and the X GF) was a real pc a sh!t dog....

Users who are viewing this thread