'02 GT vs Nissan 350Z

WillyBob98

First On Race Day
Established Member
STAMPEDE3 said:
I've never seen a stock 350Z run better than 14.2
I saw a couple 99+ GT's do that.

And as far as handleing, ask the one I lapped on the road course several years ago when I was still playing with stock suspension.

Of course it could have been the driver.

I like they way they look and there quick for a V6 but they're not all that.

And yes, most of their drivers are snobs.

Im no 350z fan or anything but my friends Fairlady Z ran 13.8 stock and now that he has midlengths, pulley, and exhaust he beats up on this kids 02 gt that has 410's and exhaust. When i say beats up i mean that it wouldnt even matter if the kid in the 02 GT could drive better. Just what i have seen :shrug:

6SpeedLover

Established Member
rem177 said:
I came up to a 350Z while cruising around last night. Pulled up next to him and he down shifted and punched it, I followed, but had to stop due to traffic. We got down to about 15 mph and both took off in first. I instantly started to pull away and put a good truck length or so between us by 90ish. He rolled up on me with a big thumbs up and said 'that things ****in awesome.' I asked what he had done, he said intake/exhaust. And he asked me the same. They arent bad cars.

:rockon: :rockon: I love street races, that end in respect to both drivers..

6SpeedLover

Established Member
ZnusNV said:
+1

SOME people just don't care to hear alternative positions. They don't want to hear about another car, they would rather go around thinking that their car is hardly outmatched.

I know that a 03-04 Cobra (assuming equal drivers) would destroy a stock Z or S for that matter. But I also know that both cars have the advantage over a 99-04 GT.

That is not grandstanding. It is my experience and the experience of other Mustang, Z and S owners that I have known.

And yes, NyteByte and I have a past. He calls me a :loser: ; I call him a :loser: . He gets :fm: , uses a :poke: and :cuss: ; I :xpl: on him, :cuss: a little and then :xpl: on him again.

He invariably takes a verbal :kaboom: ; I duck and :kaboom: back but to no avail since we're behind computer screens.

In the end there is always a :beer: , :pop: and a :) ending.

Thanks for :read: .

NyteByte is my brother.

So your telling me, that you kiss and make up at the end of every fight with your BROTHER (nasty) :xpl: and have popcorn???

JC300zx

Established Member
TORNATIC!! said:
"They don't seem as fast".

The 99-04 GT's are more torquier especially on low end that's why the Z doesn't feel as fast but in the higher rpm range they're stronger. They have more hp, less weight, and are more aerodynamic. Oh and our GT's respond better to mods than Z's so it's no surprise you beat Z's with intake and exhaust because your modded. Come down here to Savannah and you can video tape a stock 350Z pulling on a 99-04 GT as speeds increase. Top end is not a 99-04 GT's strong suit stock. From a dig to about a 1/4 of a mile it's a driver's race for sure stock for stock. Don't get me wrong I have a '02 GT so it's not like I'm trying to degrade my car. I just know painfully stock for stock the 6-speed 350z is a faster than the 99-04 GT.

I Agree 100%...this car FEELS very slow. The car is very smooth and the power is very decieving. I'm used to turbo cars (since thats 99% of the cars Ive owned) so the pull is very gradual. Thank god the car has a stock 3.54 gear. But i stand by my previous statement a stock 6spd 350Z is faster than a stock 00-04 GT (5spd) overall. Yes the GT has better bottom end (torque) but 350Z have better gearing and horsepower. Stop light to stop light the cars are very equal.

JC300zx

Established Member
bssmith1220 said:
I never knew that a exhaust and gears made my car a full bolt on car....no throttle body, plenum, cai, underdrive pullies,.....oh well though. Like I said I work at a nissan dealer so I am very familiar with stock and modded 350z's. And to address another thing....I ran a 14.2x@100 with just a cat-back on stock tires, and I am my no means the best driver in the world, and I don't powershift. So to all of you guys saying that they can't run low 14's stock I suggest you look a little deeper into what people are running. Anyway thats my rant, like I said the 350z is a great car its just a drivers race when they are stock. I guess either one could win, but the guys I have raced either when I was stock or modded I usually won(unless a power adder is involved with the Z). To each his own I guess.

Your mods in you sig are (intake, tune, gears, and full catback) thats 99% more N/A mods then 99% of the bolt on 350Z out there. Most 350Z have only i/h/e at most.

WillyBob98

First On Race Day
Established Member
I ran a 14.2x@100 with just a cat-back on stock tires, and I am my no means the best driver in the world, and I don't powershift. So to all of you guys saying that they can't run low 14's stock I suggest you look a little deeper into what people are running.
Like i said in my post.....my friend ran 13.8 @ 105 with a 2.2 60ft on stock tires, bone stock. At cecil dragway i see 14.0 to 14.5 most of the time though. My friend didnt power shift either.

czwalga00gt

Rx7 Soul Destructor
Established Member
It's simple... the 350z is slightly faster from 60-100. The same driver exact same conditions, the GT will have it till about 70ish mph then the 350 will slowly walk by. It's just the way it is.

Gloveperson

Established Member
98Sn8ke said:
Like i said in my post.....my friend ran 13.8 @ 105 with a 2.2 60ft on stock tires, bone stock. At cecil dragway i see 14.0 to 14.5 most of the time though. My friend didnt power shift either.

105 mph? Might have been a computer error. Stock Z's don't trap that high, especially with a 13.8. Reminds me of a time E-town said my old LT1, which was stock at the time, trapped at 114.

That or you are exaggerating (or your friend exxagerated when he told you) and it was really a 13.9 with a 2.0 60 footer at 101 mph. :coolman:

Last edited:

soarin00gt

Established Member
JC300zx said:
Obviously your Gt has pretty much all the bolt ons plus gears stock 350Z should feel slower. Im sure if your drove a 350Z with all the bolt ons plus an EVO 3.9 gear change it will compare to yours. Good kill to Martinrulz by the way. You come across A-hole drivers of every make and model and you think 350Z owners are snobs try out the euro crowd. As an owner of an M3 and S4 they are alot worse. Anyone in Chicago w/ a stock or mildly modded 00-04 (I/E) that wants a friendly run Im always down to see how slow us 350Z are...i promise I wont spray.

I'll run you for fun all i have are bolt ons. i would love to see how i do against you w/wo spray. i am on the sw side of chicago.

JC300zx

Established Member
soarin00gt said:
I'll run you for fun all i have are bolt ons. i would love to see how i do against you w/wo spray. i am on the sw side of chicago.

Im down anytime..what mods you have? Im in downtown chicago.

soarin00gt

Established Member
cool... my mods are longtubes xpipe no cats flowmasters pullies 4:10's cai 70mm throttle body and a tune. i work downtown just let me know where we can meet up.

joegt38

Established Member
soarin00gt said:
cool... my mods are longtubes xpipe no cats flowmasters pullies 4:10's cai 70mm throttle body and a tune. i work downtown just let me know where we can meet up.
Nice little list of bolt ons, atleast the ones that count....

Where downtown you work?

By any chance is yours wingless and black, black bullitt wheels?

Last edited:

joegt38

Established Member
I see one every morning getting off on Division and heading east, he always tried to fly passed me when I was in my GT always to much traffic but he wouldn't have had a prayer anyway. Me and JC300zx work on Division west of Halsted...

joegt38

Established Member
soarin00gt said:
thats not to far from me i work right near nike town. do you still have the gt?
Nope sold it back in Nov... :nonono: Put all that money into it and had to off it :??:

What do you do at NW? My cousin works there also...

soarin00gt

Established Member
i work for neurosurgeons in the billing department. damn that must of hurt to sell it. what department does your cousin work for?

joegt38

Established Member
soarin00gt said:
i work for neurosurgeons in the billing department. damn that must of hurt to sell it. what department does your cousin work for?
Cardio tech or something like that...

Yes it did, now I drive a POS, well only for a bit.

phillySVT

Bang Bang
Established Member
JC300zx said:
I Agree 100%...this car FEELS very slow. The car is very smooth and the power is very decieving. I'm used to turbo cars (since thats 99% of the cars Ive owned) so the pull is very gradual. Thank god the car has a stock 3.54 gear. But i stand by my previous statement a stock 6spd 350Z is faster than a stock 00-04 GT (5spd) overall. Yes the GT has better bottom end (torque) but 350Z have better gearing and horsepower. Stop light to stop light the cars are very equal.

Yup

Users who are viewing this thread