03 Cobra blew spark plug, need new heads!!

OH3MGSVT

cant 3x stamp a 2x stamp
Established Member
Well just driving to work the other morning, not even in boost or anything my motor decided to shoot a spark plug out of the #3 cylinder. I would post pics but im sure you all know what a smashed spark plug looks like :nonono:

Anyways before someone tells me to do a Helicoil/Timesert Ive already gone that route and it wouldnt thread in for whatever reason, not to mention the fact I have heard to stay away for a few reasons, something about heat transfer in the heads, and the fact the other 7 plugs could also blow out due to me having the 4 thread heads. I have little to no money and was wondering if anyone could help me out on where I can buy a set of revised heads (or comparable) so I dont have the car down for too long, any help would be appreciated. Or any suggestions on what I should do. It is my DD for now but am savign up for a cheap beater to DD so I dont have to worry about driving the Cobra every day and keepign wear/tear off her.

My plan is do buy a set of new Revised 05 Nine thread heads and put in a set of Forged Manley pistons so I will have a near 1000 hp capable shortblock and need heads so all I need to do is throw boost at it.

Anyone Know where I can get a set of good heads that wont break the bank??

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
About the cheapest you're going to find the latest heads is at Tousley Ford. They give SVTP members a discount (10% over cost) so give them a call. 1-800-328-9552 ask for Steve.

03cobraracer

Established Member
this happened to me man and i installed a timesert and she was good to go with 17lbs of heaton boost everyday.. just make sure you install it right. took me 30 min and i was back on the road driving again. sure beats $2200 for new heads!

OH3MGSVT

cant 3x stamp a 2x stamp
Established Member
this happened to me man and i installed a timesert and she was good to go with 17lbs of heaton boost everyday.. just make sure you install it right. took me 30 min and i was back on the road driving again. sure beats $2200 for new heads!
That would be awesome if that was what happened to me lol, im having such a complete nightmare with mine I just cant get the insert in, Im probably gonna take the heads off and have Standard Machince rework them so I never have to worry about any of the other plugs doing that either.

Just curious to know how many miles and mods you had on the motor?

My car has jsut over 95k on it, so Im kinda thinkin building up a fresh shortblock while im at it? Its a pullied eaton only car with basic bolt ons

03cobraracer

Established Member
That would be awesome if that was what happened to me lol, im having such a complete nightmare with mine I just cant get the insert in, Im probably gonna take the heads off and have Standard Machince rework them so I never have to worry about any of the other plugs doing that either.

My car has jsut over 95k on it, so Im kinda thinkin building up a fresh shortblock while im at it? Its a pullied eaton only car with basic bolt ons

why cant you get the insert in? did you drill out and tap the head before hand? thats what i did, then put some threadlocker on the insert and threaded her right in and tightened it. let it sit for a few, sucked out all the metal shavings out of the cylinder, threw a new plug in, and fired it up.

TrueBlueGT

is impressed!
Established Member
I blew one out five years ago. Bought a timesert kit off ebay for $200. Fixed my car in about an hour then fixed another guys car off a local forum for $150. Total net cost to fix my blown spark plug = $50. Been running a 2.76/2# combo making over 500 for several years without issue. The timesert works so get it figured out or pay someone to do it. If you're shy on funds its your best option.

oldmodman

Established Member
Call Livernois.

Last time I talked to them they were buying late 05 bare castings from Ford and doing the CNC porting and valve finishing in house.

OH3MGSVT

cant 3x stamp a 2x stamp
Established Member
Damn, sorry to hear Alex.

Thanks man, Forgot to update this though, got it all resolved, rented a timesert kit from a friends shop for $50 and did it myself and got an insert in and she is running good as new! :banana: just pray none of the other plugs decide to blow out

OH3BLKSVT

Screwed by the twins
Established Member
Thanks man, Forgot to update this though, got it all resolved, rented a timesert kit from a friends shop for $50 and did it myself and got an insert in and she is running good as new! :banana: just pray none of the other plugs decide to blow out

Good to hear! Just did a SRA swap last night and I love it!!

OH3MGSVT

cant 3x stamp a 2x stamp
Established Member
Good to hear! Just did a SRA swap last night and I love it!!

Nice man!! I almost went this route a few times but then people would talk me out of going that route, so im still IRS for now, but im about to pick up a 2.2 KB soon so im more focused on that haha

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs

May not be worth the money for many, but remember that those new heads not only have 9 threads but improved coolant passages to prevent the head tick. Yes, a cheaper way to "help" prevent the tick issue is to install a head cooling mod, but the latest head is the most optimal route to take. Just pointing out that the latest heads do have more than one benefit. But I fully agree that they're not a cheap mod, and fully understand why most would prefer to go the timesert/head cooling mod route. JMO.

hotcobra03

Established Member
May not be worth the money for many, but remember that those new heads not only have 9 threads but improved coolant passages to prevent the head tick. Yes, a cheaper way to "help" prevent the tick issue is to install a head cooling mod, but the latest head is the most optimal route to take. Just pointing out that the latest heads do have more than one benefit. But I fully agree that they're not a cheap mod, and fully understand why most would prefer to go the timesert/head cooling mod route. JMO.

question..i had gotten the new head for drivers side...i havent had any issues at all with passenger side...

but with the changes done on drivers side...what did they do to passenger side other than maybe adding more threads to plug

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
As far as I know the only difference with the driver's side head are the improved coolant passages. Interesting that you ask the question because there were some factory Terminators that came with 9 threads. No revised coolant passages, but more threads. So the obvious question is if you had 9-thread factory heads could you replace just the driver's side to get the improved coolant passages. Unless there is some reason that I'm not aware of, I don't see why not.

hotcobra03

Established Member
As far as I know the only difference with the driver's side head are the improved coolant passages. Interesting that you ask the question because there were some factory Terminators that came with 9 threads. No revised coolant passages, but more threads. So the obvious question is if you had 9-thread factory heads could you replace just the driver's side to get the improved coolant passages. Unless there is some reason that I'm not aware of, I don't see why not.

i was asking about passenger side head changes....

mine has 4 threads ...so what changes were done on this,,,

did they only add threads..and/or is it matched to the new improved coolant passages also...

op had cyl 3 blow out.. ..

i ask because i just did drivers head at 275k...on 318k now...we all know its just a matter of time till engine goes...or time for some new parts..(like timing chains/gears/guides)

but this would be the time to switch head to match..

dezracer

My build sticker says 1-23-2004. I took a long pick with a hook (like a dentist pic) and put it down the threaded hole then counted the threads by feel as I carefully ran it up the side of the plug hole. I counted 9 threads.

Users who are viewing this thread