08 GT500 w/ worn clutch -- not under warranty?

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
I had my clutch replaced at 6,000 miles under warranty with the 2008 TSB recommendations. Now after 26,000 miles the dealer says the clutch is worn (it slips when accelerating hard in 2nd through 6th gear).

The dealer says he will replace it with the same clutch and flywheel for $3,100.

There has to be a better alternative than spending $3,000 ona clutch every 20,000 miles. Are the 2010's clutches much better.

Thanks
John

there has been no proof the 2010's last longer or shorter on clutch life so its hard to say. if your gonna have to go out of pocket get a after market like the RXT

Greg@SVTOA

A.K.A Greg@GLD
Established Member
I'm wondering if anyone on here has tried that new Centerforce dual-disc and flywheel kit for the GT500? Looks interesting...

As for the '10 clutch, mine's held up great to a lot of dragstrip passes so far. I'm running a TVS and trapping over 126 MPH.

03 KB Sonic Blue

Established Member
I had my clutch replaced at 6,000 miles under warranty with the 2008 TSB recommendations. Now after 26,000 miles the dealer says the clutch is worn (it slips when accelerating hard in 2nd through 6th gear).

The dealer says he will replace it with the same clutch and flywheel for $3,100.

There has to be a better alternative than spending $3,000 ona clutch every 20,000 miles. Are the 2010's clutches much better.

Thanks
John

I just had the TSB done on my 09 with just under 8k miles on it. The new 10/11 clutch feels 100x's better. Less noise, softer pedal, and easier to take off from a stop.
Now with that being said its hard to say how long they will last as havent been out that long. If/when mine goes out again just going to go aftermarket.

I would think you could go aftermarket and installed for alot cheaper than OEM. :shrug:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
I'm assuming that my car doesn't apply to this. It was built on 12/18/2008. The TSB says that cars affected were built before 9/1/2008. Does this mean I have the updated flywheel and clutch assembly? Yes, mine does chatter sometimes, but I wrote that off as normal because it's a high HP ceramic clutch. Every high HP application clutch I've driven (Fbodies - T56 tranny) chattered sometimes.

03 KB Sonic Blue

Established Member
I'm assuming that my car doesn't apply to this. It was built on 12/18/2008. The TSB says that cars affected were built before 9/1/2008. Does this mean I have the updated flywheel and clutch assembly? Yes, mine does chatter sometimes, but I wrote that off as normal because it's a high HP ceramic clutch. Every high HP application clutch I've driven (Fbodies - T56 tranny) chattered sometimes.

The newest TSB applies to ALL 07-09. Build date is not a issue anymore. At least from what Ive heard/read.

The newest 2010/2011 clutch installed in my car is alot quiter than my stock one was.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
The newest TSB applies to ALL 07-09. Build date is not a issue anymore. At least from what Ive heard/read.

The newest 2010/2011 clutch installed in my car is alot quiter than my stock one was.

oh, I know I still have the old style, as it's the original clutch installed by Ford. I know the TSB was extended to "some" 2009 cars because the old style flywheel was installed in some of the 2009 cars built before the cut off date. So far I have had no problems with the clutch other than normal issues that are attributed to a high HP clutch.

Users who are viewing this thread