09 Viper ACR OR 09 Corvette ZR1

Corona-Extra

Miles Away From Ordinary
Established Member
For me it would also depend on what my intentions are.

Looking for something to drive to work on a nice Friday or to take on a weekend trip.. ZR1

To race it at a track like MSR Houston.. ACR

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
the reason why is that b/c only a select handful of ppl can drive that car that well, even experienced road course drivers would probably put up better times with the ZR-1, considering its much easier to drive

The ZR1 is awesome, and I agree that only a handful of people can drive both cars to their potential on a road course. However, I disagree with the statement that the ZR1 is much easier to drive. In that video both cars were being pushed to their limits.

The ACR has stickier tires, a coilover suspension, a perfect weight distribution and a slightly more manageable N/A powerband.

The ZR1 has harder compound tires, leaf springs, (it works great, but I think a coilover suspension is more predictable), 53% of it's weight up front because of the forged motor, blower, intercooler and a very hard hitting torque curve from the roots blower. All of those factors above compound each other.

Strictly from a handling perspective I think the ACR is more balanced, more predictable and ultimately easier to push to it's absolute limit on a road course. The ZR1 is not far behind because of it's power & weight advantage, if it weren't for the factors above it would never get beat by 4 seconds on any track against a Viper..

WhiteStallionGT

Based off looks: Viper

Based off functionality: ZR1

That Viper is too much car for me (even though it's slower) it's too brutal of a car to drive everyday. I'd take the ZR1.

Last edited by a moderator:

mustangbee

Established Member
The ZR1 is awesome, and I agree that only a handful of people can drive both cars to their potential on a road course. However, I disagree with the statement that the ZR1 is much easier to drive. In that video both cars were being pushed to their limits.

The ACR has stickier tires, a coilover suspension, a perfect weight distribution and a slightly more manageable N/A powerband.

The ZR1 has harder compound tires, leaf springs, (it works great, but I think a coilover suspension is more predictable), 53% of it's weight up front because of the forged motor, blower, intercooler and a very hard hitting torque curve from the roots blower. All of those factors above compound each other.

Strictly from a handling perspective I think the ACR is more balanced, more predictable and ultimately easier to push to it's absolute limit on a road course. The ZR1 is not far behind because of it's power & weight advantage, if it weren't for the factors above it would never get beat by 4 seconds on any track against a Viper..

yeah, ive never drove either car, i had a brief shoot in a C6Z, and that was scary in the twisties, but from what ive read reviewers have said the ZR-1 is more timid, and they've used phrases like "the car makes you look better than you are." Now i know it isnt GTR like in that regard, but more so than the ACR from what ive gathered. i noticed you didnt mention the brakes, arent the ZR-1's much better?

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
yeah, ive never drove either car, i had a brief shoot in a C6Z, and that was scary in the twisties, but from what ive read reviewers have said the ZR-1 is more timid, and they've used phrases like "the car makes you look better than you are." Now i know it isnt GTR like in that regard, but more so than the ACR from what ive gathered. i noticed you didnt mention the brakes, arent the ZR-1's much better?

The ZR1 has active handling/traction control, so in everyday driving it is more timid. The Viper has no nanny systems, so it can be a handful in everyday situations. However, on a road course the nanny systems just restrict performance if you want to push it to it's total capabilities. With them off the ZR1 is anything but timid, like I said, the roots blower creates a crazy torque curve, it has more HP, it's lighter, not as balanced and has F1 runflat 20inch tires.

As for the brakes the ZR1 does have better brakes, but the ACR has 14inch brembos that are not far behind.

ZR1 braking distance 60mph-0 = 97feet
ACR braking distance 60mph-0 = "less than 100feet" 2010 Dodge Viper SRT10 Images, Pricing and Information

I couldn't find an exact number for the braking distance on the ACR, but I suspect they are pretty close. The ZR1 has superior brakes, but the ACR has more downforce and stickier tires which help it's brakes do almost as well.

Last edited:

fangstang

Established Member
I'll take the Viper because I already have a Z06 and I like my cars NA.

fiveo'cobra

Established Member
Based off looks: Viper

Based off functionality: ZR1

That Viper is too much car for me (even though it's slower) it's too brutal of a car to drive everyday. I'd take the ZR1.

+1. I've seen a track ready ACR (blue one) in person at Sebring with 335 Hoosiers ready to roll out on track and its brutal looking.

Funny people fussing over a 4 second difference between the two at the ring. The viper has fully adjustable suspension, R compounds, downforce package including splitter and big rear spoiler. With all this i'd expect it to be at least 10 seconds faster at a 14 mile circuit. The vette ran there with runflats. The viper is horribly geared IMO. There is no reason a track spec car should be doing 160mph in 4th gear in a 6 spd. Not to mention the Viper's handling; they have numb steering and feel like a blunt object when being thrown around. They don't provide much feedback at the limit so its a very hard car to balance when at 100%. This coupled with the ACR's massive grip and huge power makes it a dangerous combination for anyone other than a veteran track driver. You better know your shit if you're going to drive that beast.

On the other side, the vette, a handful of its own, is a more precise car. It was developed from the world renowned ALMS GT2 corvettes, the most dominating GT2 cars in ALMS history. ZR1, therefore, is solid. Has really good brakes, fantastic steering, and provides a lot of feedback at the limit. This makes it an easier car to drive fast. Throw on a set of R1's, like the Viper has and they'd be dead even.

Overall, i'd probably still take the viper just because its such a badass car. I've seen both in person and the ACR looks ridiculous in person, but the ZR1 is a better, more developed car overall IMO.

XtraTQ

Established Member
ACR. My favorite is the all black with the single red stripe.

TrueBlue'01GT

Established Member
Should have made this a poll looks like 80% would have chosen the Viper. I would take the Viper too. I like Vettes but I see them almost as much as Honda Accords. I wouldn't use either car for a DD.

Viper is just plain MEAN!...LOVE IT!

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
Viper ACR, they just look mean as ****!
i dont care what other people think either, but seeing a vette everyday gets old. even though they are nice cars.

i like the fact the gm produces a shit load of vettes, while there are still fewer vipers on the road since its inception.

SVTBeatdown13

Travis Barker Jr.
Established Member
Viper ACR FTMFW! Other than it's my dream car, I can't stand the ZR1. Don't ask me why I just don't like them. I'd take a C6 Z06 before the ZR1.

JD03Cobra

Who's your Daddy!
Established Member
vette. have you ever sat/drove a viper. they're cool but i just hate how you sit thanks to the huge tunnel.

I am gonna have to agree with this! I drove a Viper GTS the other day and did not like it at all. Actually disappointed. The seating position sucked.

I pick the ZR1! That is a DD...no way you drive that Viper daily.

Users who are viewing this thread