10:1 Compression and boost

Rolltide1006

Established Member
Hello all, happy Friday. So today I had a sit down at my local performance shop to go over supercharger applications for my 97 GT. The motor has been rebuilt. I kept the stock block and stock crank. I added Mahle forged pistons, Scat forged rods, PI heads with Manley valves, PAC stage 2 valve springs and Cms 2.5 blower cams. The shop that built my shortblock didn’t mention compression to me. I just told them I want to put a blower on the car to make 500 at the wheels. Well I did the digging today and found out my compression is 10:1 :( I can’t get a Kenne Bell because of this, but what would be safe to reach my goal? I figure I will only run 12-15 pounds of boost. T-trim for the save? Any help or advice is appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I don’t see why that would prevent using a PD blower, depending on how much boost ya gotta watch your timing but that’s gonna apply to any source of boost.

I don’t know 2 valves well...my Mach loved boost on a built 10:1 motor. Maybe look in the blower boost/power thread for similar builds?

jaxbusa

Established Member
I agree with DSG2003Mach1. Where did you hear you can’t? You’re only, like what, .5 more than stock compression? New coyotes have higher compression with PD.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Rolltide1006

Established Member
I don’t see why that would prevent using a PD blower, depending on how much boost ya gotta watch your timing but that’s gonna apply to any source of boost.

I don’t know 2 valves well...my Mach loved boost on a built 10:1 motor. Maybe look in the blower boost/power thread for similar builds?

For sure, thank you. Your mach was cool on it because you had a forged crank lol.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
1st, you can't compare a Coyote engine to a pi headed GT engine. Variable cam timing plays a huge role with cylinder pressure lol.

2nd. T-trim will more than get you there, but if only 500rwhp is what you want you could go SI trim as well. I've had a S/T/and now JT trim.. Wishing I had a YSI. I made 670 with the T-trim on 17psi without even trying on my 4v engine..

Compression isn't high. 10:1 on 93 you need to keep boost around 12-13psi range to be safe.

Rolltide1006

Established Member
1st, you can't compare a Coyote engine to a pi headed GT engine. Variable cam timing plays a huge role with cylinder pressure lol.

2nd. T-trim will more than get you there, but if only 500rwhp is what you want you could go SI trim as well. I've had a S/T/and now JT trim.. Wishing I had a YSI. I made 670 with the T-trim on 17psi without even trying on my 4v engine..

Compression isn't high. 10:1 on 93 you need to keep boost around 12-13psi range to be safe.

My performance shop I go to said I would need something bigger than a S-trim to get to 500. He mentioned a T-trim and that would be my choice at this point, but I am waiting for him to build me a setup to safely run. I am hoping to hear back around this coming Wednesday

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member

What this guy said... I ran 15psi on 93 but my timing was set to 14 absolute max If air and coolant temps were in the correct range

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
My performance shop I go to said I would need something bigger than a S-trim to get to 500. He mentioned a T-trim and that would be my choice at this point, but I am waiting for him to build me a setup to safely run. I am hoping to hear back around this coming Wednesday

You can go with the T-trim.. BUT for what it's worth. AED built a 2V with a SC-trim.. 700rwhp lol. 9.5 compression, stg 3 patriot heads, stock intake, 105 octane. So it can be done.. Will it be easier with the new Ti-trim?? absolutely.

Rolltide1006

Established Member
You can go with the T-trim.. BUT for what it's worth. AED built a 2V with a SC-trim.. 700rwhp lol. 9.5 compression, stg 3 patriot heads, stock intake, 105 octane. So it can be done.. Will it be easier with the new Ti-trim?? absolutely.

Impressive! But I would like to stay on pump 93. I just started looking into this methanol injection action.

Rolltide1006

Established Member
You won't need meth if you have a good air to air intercooler.. The car on 91 octane made 600rwhp

I hope so. I go to Injected Engineering and am working with Eric. Talking with him, he says he is going to build me up a ticket on what I need to get in order to get 500. Once I have that info I will know if I have to go meth injection or not.

Users who are viewing this thread