100 octane AVGAS + 93 octane mix in Paxton '13 GT 5.0

460cidpower

Established Member
I ordered a Paxton kit from JPC but it's back ordered until the last week of this month :-(

After reading about the recent 5.0 blower cars dying I was wondering if I could run 2 gallons of 100 low lead AVGAS with 11 gallons of 93 octane for a total 94 octane for safety? :shrug:

I don't have the $$$ for a replacement engine ATM, I wondering if I should wait installing the Paxton until after I've got the $4k saved up for a new short block.

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
While avgas may be called low lead, there's really quite a bit of lead in it. Not sure your oxygen sensors will like it much.

460cidpower

Established Member
Ok, no AVGAS then. Now to decide if I need to wait until I've got the short block money saved up before installing the blower....

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
if you are very worried put a bottle or torco on every fuel tank. it might become an expensive habit though.

Sof Top

boost junkie!
Established Member
I have yet to see a vortech/paxton car under 10psi blow a motor. Those recent ones that blew were PD blowers. I had over 80 wot datalog pulls, more than half went lean up top on a stock coyote, 93 pump e10 and at 11psi thru my paxton and not any problem.

4VFTW

Established Member
even without the lead I wouldnt run Avgas , the specific gravity is much less and it has a tendency to run lean...no bueno in these motors. Maybe you can have the tune compensate for that , but then there is the lead issue

Last edited:

5PointOHNO

Established Member
I have yet to see a vortech/paxton car under 10psi blow a motor. Those recent ones that blew were PD blowers. I had over 80 wot datalog pulls, more than half went lean up top on a stock coyote, 93 pump e10 and at 11psi thru my paxton and not any problem.

This!

460cidpower

Established Member

What do you mean by half went lean up top? Did you mean that it went lean and you didn't pop your motor, so it's a good thing?:shrug:

I thought lean was really, really bad for these cars?:dw:

My Paxton has the open competition air filter, which should make peak 9.5PSIG as per JPC.

Are you using a smaller pulley to be getting 11PSIG? :banana: (not that I would, I'm just curious)

RFM50

Established Member
I popped mine under 10psi. Motor showed signs of detonation but wasn't lean. Not sure if there was to much timing in the tune or if I had bad gas. Luckily I only broke pistons and didn't damage the block. I will be running a meth kit for safety on mine. E85 isn't readily available in AZ.

460cidpower

Established Member
I popped mine under 10psi. Motor showed signs of detonation but wasn't lean. Not sure if there was to much timing in the tune or if I had bad gas. Luckily I only broke pistons and didn't damage the block. I will be running a meth kit for safety on mine. E85 isn't readily available in AZ.

How many miles before it popped? Who's tune was it? Was it an e-mail tune or dyno tune?

Last edited:

csb85

Established Member
My procharged cars number #8 went on 8psi. I'm also thinking about running meth for safety once the car is back together.

460cidpower

Established Member
My procharged cars number #8 went on 8psi. I'm also thinking about running meth for safety once the car is back together.

Wow, that's not much boost at all. :cryying: How many miles before it popped? Who's tune was it? Was it an e-mail tune or dyno tune? Who's rebuilding it for you?

Last edited:

stang8psi

Established Member
mine broke a #8 ringland and piston on 9psi Lund Dyno tuned. Block was fine, Building a 11.5:1 motor now!

csb85

Established Member
Mine was also dyno tuned. I don't know what caused mine to go. Possibly bad gas. Shaun from aed made a comment on someone's thread that he is seeing logs that show bad gas mostly from the east cost over the last 2 months and that may be what is popping all of these boosted cars.

scott_0

Established Member
go with a good reputable tuner, have it tuned conservatively and dont beat on the car like you stole and Im sure it will live a long happy life

Users who are viewing this thread