'13 Cummins Laramie G56, Unlocked, deleted, EFI Live, BMF, etc _ Pics / Video

Quicktime_GT

Established Member
Folks,

I just finished a bit of work on my truck and thought I would share..

• South Bend 3250 Installed
  • 5" Turbo Back Installed
  • Unlocked successfully with the bully dog GT
  • BD GT installed in pillar
  • PPEI Tune flashed
  • CSP Switch Mounted

The truck is a 2013 3500 SRW, Laramie, G56, wheels tires and leveling kit, otherwise previously stock.

All parts excluding clutch and exhaust tip were purchased from RSD. James was extremely helpful and returned / answered my calls and emails on multiple occasions promptly.

The unlock process went pretty smooth other than the truck pretending to be an automatic truck half way through the process. The dash had the automatic gear indicator lights and the key wouldn't switch to the off position because the truck wasn't in park. I went ahead and moved forward with the unlock process by selecting "OK" when it would ask if the key was off, but in reality it was stuck in ACC. once the unlock process completed, I unhooked that batteries for a few minutes then the key was able to switch to off and come out. The process worked, but it seemed a little sketchy.

I first tried the BD tune with factory exhaust and factory clutch. On "Extreme" it runs pretty well but blows through the clutch in 5th and 6th. Additionally the power delivery was very linear.. similar to stock.

The PPEI EFI live tune and autocal flashed the truck flawlessly and pretty quickly.

I'm impressed by the PPEI tune.. it's pretty strong, especially for a mostly stock truck. I went with the low boost fueling unlock and case say that this results in a pretty smoky tune. It isn't unmanageable, but on the initial hit there is quite a bit of smoke that might not be present if you keep the low boost fueling down. (someone else may clarify)

I also asked for the turbo to be open at idle for a throaty-er exhaust. I'm not sure where it was actually set at but can say that with the 5" exhaust right now the truck sounds great. It's very non VGTish sounding at idle and low throttle then when you get into it more you can hear the turbo tighten up. It goes through the 6.0 Power Stroke turbo whistle sound into some what of a Supra / VGT Duramax / Common rail sound at WOT.

CSP switch was installed in an existing OTRATTW plate that I previously installed for a LED bar switch.

2C3A3B4E-EB87-4766-8D3C-21B62E0D9AFD.jpg

E08A8455-F080-4BFE-8D04-3E9604BCF330.jpg

87526B7D-10B5-47FE-A3D0-22C6E6340250.jpg

A294B4D0-4ED3-48EA-8EAE-89D22B2D0A2D.jpg

BA76844A-9FF1-4CFD-BF5C-63BB8D54ABF3.jpg

Leftover bolts:
012FAE02-2DB6-480B-99C9-BB0B2FE52808.jpg

The Truck:
1B2753DC-4196-4909-8E66-B93B812D8F42.png

3249D0BE-D920-4F82-8280-4613D9C102E0.jpg

E1E3E385-D749-4766-AA1D-C52F890C5FDD.jpg

3A98F508-5396-4524-88C7-5229F0122429.jpg

file-33.jpg

file-27.jpg

Led Stuff:

30" Curved bar between tow hooks
523FD85F-A6C1-4F6E-9032-325C50E2DE82.jpg

Side and rearward facing lights in ram box lid:
E5C312BD-C942-4079-93D1-536D5B317C98.jpg

A82148AD-3361-4D85-B002-BA5161CD5F88.jpg

C111125A-1C30-43ED-B942-FE627CA6584B.jpg

Short Video:

https://youtu.be/w6fbQ7ZjuYw

Next steps:

• Color match bumpers, grill. Going for "sport" 1500 look, not black appearance group look. All emblems will stay as is.
  • Turtle to Rabbit sticker (think lawn mower) small enough to fit around CSP4 switch
  • head studs - likely ARP 2000s (425s)
  • potentially lift the rear 1" to get rid of a tad bit of the cali lean

Last edited:

Rainmaker

2highPSI
Established Member
I think Dodge has the best looking truck on the road, and yours a perfect example of that. Looks amazing, man. Personally, I just prefer the 6.7L Powerstroke motor over all other diesels. Excellent work.

Joewee500

Established Member
Did you have to send the PCM to be unlocked? What kind of power is it making now. I had a decently built 05 cummins but zero plans of doing anything to my '14....that is until I read this thread haha.

Zemedici

Established Member
Rig looks fantastic. Hopefully this month or next I'll have one to post up as well. Debating 5.7 or cummins, can pick up a 5.7 lifted with wheels and tires for what a stock cummins costs, and I don't tow, but I drive a mile to work so maintenance wouldn't really matter. What's your take?

Again, awesome looking truck

oldmodman

Established Member
Great looking truck!
And the new exhaust sound good.
But what in the world was that huge pule of pipes, cans, valves, and other stuff that you took off? Is all that stuff the particulate trap system? it looks like it weighed 500 pounds!
You can tell I don't have a truck. :shrug:

Quicktime_GT

Established Member
I think Dodge has the best looking truck on the road, and yours a perfect example of that. Looks amazing, man. Personally, I just prefer the 6.7L Powerstroke motor over all other diesels. Excellent work.
Thanks!

Fine looking truck!

Thank You, Sir..

Did you have to send the PCM to be unlocked? What kind of power is it making now. I had a decently built 05 cummins but zero plans of doing anything to my '14....that is until I read this thread haha.

You can send the PCM to Fleece to get it unlocked for $250, or you can simply buy a Bully Dog GT and their $~50 unlock kit. (basically comes with a few different cables) The Bully Dog GT can unlock the PCM via OBD 2 and an under hood plug. A flaw to this, however, is that if something happens mid-process, you could be stuck sending your PCM in anyway. Luckily for me it went well..

Rig looks fantastic. Hopefully this month or next I'll have one to post up as well. Debating 5.7 or cummins, can pick up a 5.7 lifted with wheels and tires for what a stock cummins costs, and I don't tow, but I drive a mile to work so maintenance wouldn't really matter. What's your take?

Haha.. similar situation here. I daily drive the truck and if you drive like you have some sense the fuel mileage is decent. I pull my car with the truck but can't really claim that I "needed" a diesel. I basically just wanted one lol

Quicktime_GT

Established Member
Great looking truck!
And the new exhaust sound good.
But what in the world was that huge pule of pipes, cans, valves, and other stuff that you took off? Is all that stuff the particulate trap system? it looks like it weighed 500 pounds!
You can tell I don't have a truck. :shrug:

This was the DPF within the exhaust along with the diesel exhaust tank / system etc. -- yep it's ridiculous

Zemedici

Established Member
Haha.. similar situation here. I daily drive the truck and if you drive like you have some sense the fuel mileage is decent. I pull my car with the truck but can't really claim that I "needed" a diesel. I basically just wanted one lol

Same situation here....haha diesel sounds more fun to daily. But I'll end up modding it....

blackedout06

Established Member
Gorgeous truck! I love my 04 cummins, only way I'm parting with mine is if I can find a nice 2010+ with a 6 speed. Did you custom order your truck with the 6 speed new?

Quicktime_GT

Established Member
Man! after your planned paint match upgrades, that truck will be perfection.

Thanks!

Gorgeous truck! I love my 04 cummins, only way I'm parting with mine is if I can find a nice 2010+ with a 6 speed. Did you custom order your truck with the 6 speed new?

I did actually custom order the truck. I had waited until the '13 model year came as I wanted the changes that came with it. I ordered this truck during the first few weeks that orders were open. At the time, there were no other Laramie trucks available with a 6 Speed Manual, and I would imagine that there still aren't many out there.

My reasoning behind the 6 speed manual is that I knew I would eventually mod the truck and the G56 manual would hold whatever I had planned with a clutch upgrade. Building an equivalently strong automatic could be a $10K bill.. The clutch in this one was ~$1500 and will handle much more power than the truck is making now.

This is my first new vehicle purchase - sometimes i regret buying new due to the expense, but I knew exactly what I wanted and knew that I would keep the truck for several years.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
That is just a really good looking truck. Love the color, the wheels, lighting, truck design, everything! Torque monster there! :rockon:

97WHITEVENOM

Established Member

I may be wrong, but I think the new diesels hate that.

Users who are viewing this thread