1969 Camaro Restomod Project Thread

Blue Blitz

Established Member
Ok sorry for lack of updates but not much has been happening with the work schedule I've had. Well I got a little "time off" to work (3 weeks between jobs) that I plan to use on the 69!

Car will continue to be stripped this weekend. Going to finish pulling all panels and glass out as well as the body wiring.

Goes in to be media blasted on Monday morning and should be in a "bare" state by the end of the week. Going to get pics of the bare shell to see damage before the self etching primer is completed.

Found a reputable blasting company in the area, so excited to have them do the work!

Time to get back to working on this thing and see what I can get accomplished!

Blue Blitz

Established Member
Yea updates were delayed as work put me on hiatus as it tends to do. But now that I have a little spare time and the spare funds, I hope to get the body work side of this completed so I can focus on running gear.

Kinda already planning to leave interior relatively stock, and the suspension "mild" until I get it running. That stuff can be changed as it's driven/enjoyed. Get it up and running with the new motor/trans and paint/body. Probably give some incentive to work on it if it's a nice running/driving car :)

Fox-4

OFFICER BARBRADY
Established Member
When the car was repainted did you sand down to bare metal? I reason why I'm asking because if the metal has been worked it will develop flash rust real quick.

Last edited:

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
Wow, that is one of the dirtiest engine bays I have ever seen. Looks like the whole engine compartment was buried in dirt. Very cool build though.

Last edited:

Blue Blitz

Established Member
When the car was repainted did you sand down to bare metal? I reason why I'm asking because if the metal has been worked it will develop flash rust real quick.

It wasn't sanded down to bare metal and i'm not worried about that. Flash rust is common when bare metal is exposed. Part of the blasting process is to do the self etching primer. Want to do it right so I'm taking it down to bare metal this time :) Last time it was painted was when I first got the car and it was already in primer.

Wow, that is one of the dirtiest egine bays I have ever seen. Looks like the whole engine comparment was buried in dirt. Very cool build though.

Yea car sat outside my parents place for about 5 years. West texas has dust storms like you wouldn't believe. I have some pics saved and can try to post them if interested. Car shouldn't live outside another day in it's life.

Restored an Indy Pace Car '67 SS-396 Camaro convertibe.

Looks like your doing a First Class job!

Thanks, we're early into it yet so there is plenty of time for me to mess it up :) Hope to do it "right" as that's been the hold up all these years. Didn't have the budget to do it right and just now getting to the point where I'm comfortable putting money into the car again!

William

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
It wasn't sanded down to bare metal and i'm not worried about that. Flash rust is common when bare metal is exposed. Part of the blasting process is to do the self etching primer. Want to do it right so I'm taking it down to bare metal this time :) Last time it was painted was when I first got the car and it was already in primer.

Yea car sat outside my parents place for about 5 years. West texas has dust storms like you wouldn't believe. I have some pics saved and can try to post them if interested. Car shouldn't live outside another day in it's life.

Thanks, we're early into it yet so there is plenty of time for me to mess it up :) Hope to do it "right" as that's been the hold up all these years. Didn't have the budget to do it right and just now getting to the point where I'm comfortable putting money into the car again!

William

Pics are always welcomed.

Oh, and please excuse the typos in my previous post. I was typing a bit too fast and not paying attention.

Blue Blitz

Established Member
No prob on typos and I'll see what I can do on dust storm. Not terribly thrilled about seeing the "virgin metal" from that far back. I know it has issues, just trying to see HOW bad it is.

The car will go back to the original color (hugger orange). I was young when it was painted and didn't realize the heritage associated and desirability of the color. Not sure on all specifics, but orange w/ black tail panel. Maybe no stripes.

Blue Blitz

Established Member
Last edited:

mustang addict

Established Member
Will,

The car is going to look amazing. I'll always think of it as yellow with black though. It's etched in my memory that way forever. LOL So wish I had the time and you guys were closer to help and see the progress. I'm jealous. With the wife, two kids and the businesses I'm lucky to be able to wash a car every once in awhile...much less work on one. haha

Hope you guys are doing OK. I finally bought display cases for all those die cast cars and when I got to the Texas DPS car that Kat bought me all those years ago I just about cried. I've got it displayed on the top row of the most visible case and think of you guys everytime I walk by it.

Give me a shout next time yall are in town. I'll buy Sushi! Yes, I said that!

Tony

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
Last edited:

Blue Blitz

Established Member
Will,

The car is going to look amazing. I'll always think of it as yellow with black though. It's etched in my memory that way forever. LOL So wish I had the time and you guys were closer to help and see the progress. I'm jealous. With the wife, two kids and the businesses I'm lucky to be able to wash a car every once in awhile...much less work on one. haha

Hope you guys are doing OK. I finally bought display cases for all those die cast cars and when I got to the Texas DPS car that Kat bought me all those years ago I just about cried. I've got it displayed on the top row of the most visible case and think of you guys everytime I walk by it.

Give me a shout next time yall are in town. I'll buy Sushi! Yes, I said that!

Tony

WOW man long time no chat. Last few times I've been to town have been quick turn-arounds. We moved Kat's mom to Houston to be closer to us and my parents sold their house. I'm sure there will be a time I'm passing through. If you're ever in the woodlands hit me up and we can meet.

I still want a Supra after driving yours. Just keep getting tied up in different cars in the meantime!

Whoa, well that makes perfect sense. In a way, the car was buried in dirt. That is a modern day Dust Bowl. I would hate to get caught in one of those in the Cobra.

Yea car was definitely buried in dirt. Hopefully never has to go through that again!

In other news, I made an impromptu stop at the blasting place today to check out the operation before I just let them take the car. They weren't kidding, LOTS of cars there (old ones) and some restored as well. Guy was really cool and showed me around the place so I could get an idea of the service and what they can do for me. Overall pretty happy with what is in store for the car.

After that I made a stop by a couple body shops. One of which did the work on the 2010 and said he'd work on the 69 if I wanted him to. Chatted with him a bit about it. Then I drove down the street to another place called Mo' Muscle, which is a big restoration place in Conroe/Spring. Talked to the guys there for prob 1.5-2hours about what they can do for me and about restorations and questions that I had. VERY nice people and VERY high quality work they do. I will consider them but they may be "outside my budget" as a "driver condition" (which is better than many shops "shop condition") is looking like ~$15-16k to get it into paint. That is an est with approx metal work time for the condition I explained to them. "Show car" paint from them (filling gaps to make perfect, etc) was going to be $25-30k. I cant justify that coin so not happening.

Cars they showed me though, of various conditions, were amazing quality. Very impressed with their work.

We may end up doing some body work but just checking my options right now.

Pictures to come of the blasting/etc.

William

Blue Blitz

Established Member
Update:

With Kat's (Hybred) help we got the 69 stripped down a good bit more.

- All wiring removed from the body.
- EVERYTHING is out of the inside. Not a single nut/clip/screw/bolt/etc left inside. All removed.
- Steering wheel removed.
- HVAC removed ("astrovent and heater mainly).
- All weatherstripping removed.
- Fuel system removed (tank/lines/etc).
- Firewall cleaned/clear of nuts/bolts.
- Transmission cross member pulled.
- Doors completely dis-assembled.

Left to do before blasting:
- Remove braking system (brake lines, master cyl, e-brake).
- Remove exhaust.
- Remove doors
- Remove windshield/rear glass.

As far as I know that's all that's left!

Getting excited as areas I thought would be worse aren't that bad. We'll see how it looks after media blasting but window frames, interior behind dash, behind doors, cowl panels on sides by lower fenders, inside cowl vents, etc all good and appears rust free!

Time will tell!

Users who are viewing this thread