1985 GT build thread.

97WHITEVENOM

Established Member
Thank you!

almost 1/8 of an inch will certainly help keep the tires from rubbing on the fenders.

This is the ground that comes off the battery. My understanding this should always be engine grounded. Trans is connected to the bell, bell to block. All the same thing in my eyes. Any reason you are suggesting otherwise that Im missing?
You cant do that if you want for sure. What I am saying is for your ignition box, fans, fuel pump...etc. Have a ground bus, connect them to that, and then connect the ground bus directly to the battery. For example, I wouldnt ground your ignition box to the chassis or motor. Its a carbed car so it likely wont be a sensitive, but grounding all important this "directly" to the battery is always the best option.

Fox 5.0

Established Member
Been following your build for a while now. Nicely done! Glad to see you are back on the build train on not giving up. Great work!

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member
Awesome, and doing this all on jackstand is crazy to me. Keep it up.

Unfortunately my garage isn't tall enough for a lift. I made the best out of what I had and those race ramps were awesome! Thanks man.

You cant do that if you want for sure. What I am saying is for your ignition box, fans, fuel pump...etc. Have a ground bus, connect them to that, and then connect the ground bus directly to the battery. For example, I wouldnt ground your ignition box to the chassis or motor. Its a carbed car so it likely wont be a sensitive, but grounding all important this "directly" to the battery is always the best option.

Ahhh, thanks for clarifying that. Yes thats the plan, I have 3 bus bars. Constant hot, ignition hot, and ground.

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member
Today I got some wiring extended and hung the fenders on the car. adjusted the ride height which isn't 100% perfect but its close. Ill get back to those pics later.

I went to mount the strut tower brace and noticed my motor mounts raised the engine up a bit so I have been working on some spacers to lift the brace a tad. They brace touched the spark plug boot on the distributor.

40145089642_548577e3e7_b.jpg
Untitled by |SK Photography|, on Flickr

I got the blower box mounted as well. The back side of this had studs that went through the fire wall to hold it up agains the fire wall so I had to make a bracket.

28397617289_0ced84ac82_b.jpg
25306069527_3ff938140a_b.jpg

Here I used the allen head cap bolts on the fenders.

26305104018_23f24f6f2e_b.jpg

And now for the shots that are making me fall in love all over again....

28397605389_f8bc663bae_b.jpg
39466543064_2b8dc93b3b_b.jpg
25306072647_4b8521bb40_b.jpg
28397616919_9eeb58e2a7_b.jpg
40178145901_66bbc04df0_b.jpg
39466543474_c105ba5ddb_b.jpg
40178146861_98ddc5c45d_b.jpg

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member
Love my race ramps. Have you looked at bendpak short lift?

At 9.4 feet tall, my buddy has one in his normal garage and it works awesome.

http://www.bendpak.com/car-lifts/two-post-lifts/xpr-9s.aspx

Oh why did you run your fuel line through your cowl like that? Did you add extra line for the motor to twist?

That would be a tight fit in my garage. Ill look into it.

I decided to have the regulator hidden and not stuff up the engine compartment... I spent too much money making it pretty to busy it up hahah. yeah when it torques over it has enough slack. My motor mounts are so tight I dont see it moving more than 1/4 inch.

Silver95

Established Member
Is there a kit for the fuel pump you purchased along with the lines? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member
Is there a kit for the fuel pump you purchased along with the lines? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, glenns performance 03/04 cobra 1000hp tank kit. if you give him a call he can customize the kit for your setup too. He supplies everything from the fittings, to the line, to the insulated clips to hold the gas line.

when you are working on it are you driving it up on 4 ramps at once?

No, I dont have the drive up ramps. I lift the front then the rear one at a time.

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member
Today we went ahead and temporarily wired up the battery to the fuel pump to test the fuel lines to make sure there was no leaks.

this is the battery I decided on using, its super small, super lightweight and from what I read will do just fine in running the cars electronics.

40216878441_f6bce57686_b.jpg

Also got the front strut tower brace back on.
26344419008_306d2835b6_b.jpg

Here is a close up of the spacers I made out of aluminum.

39505710584_bc06fafc37_b.jpg

Finished product

26344619308_c1f48e6243_b.jpg

Back when I tore the car apart I knew I would thank myself for marking everything clearly even though I thought they were all no brainers. Now I thanked myself for marking what went where.

39505711074_48fce8f59a_b.jpg

Great progress on the interior. Starting to look like a real car now.

39505711094_66a741b089_b.jpg

My Dad leaves tomorrow and tonight I was doing some reflection on his time out here. Its times like these I will cherish for the rest of my life. We both worked on the car as hard as we could at all hours of the day. We got irritated with one another, we shared the relief when things went just right. At the end of the day I honestly couldn't have done any of this progress on this car if it wasn't for following his direction over my whole life. Everyone always talks about my attention to detail, thats all because of my Dad. He is the reason I wanted to do this build, a reason for him to come and stay with me for a few weeks and enjoy building it together. I am officially going to wait to fire the car up till he can get back out here so he can do the honors of firing it up for the first time.

Sorry for the dear journal rant but I hope I can inspire others to get out there and spend the time with your father or your children... this is what is all about.

Users who are viewing this thread