1999 S351 Saleen or '03 Cobra

DaveG

Established Member
Which should I purchase?? 1999 Saleen S-351, 500rearwheelhp runs high 10's on slicks.. less than 2,000 miles..recaro seats 3.55 rear, mint mint....$50,000.(new MSRP
$61,939. Or the new '03 Cobra. How about resale values?? Thanks for any opinions...

maoun

Established Member
03 cobra...have the fun of modding it out yourself! 500 horses is really close with one of these bad boys, and trust me, it's a lot less expensive

as for resale value....the saleen will probably be worth more one day, but not worth the difference in cost either way

StangD281

Established Member
Originally posted by DaveG
Which should I purchase?? 1999 Saleen S-351, 500rearwheelhp runs high 10's on slicks.. less than 2,000 miles..recaro seats 3.55 rear, mint mint....$50,000.(new MSRP
$61,939. Or the new '03 Cobra. How about resale values?? Thanks for any opinions...
That S351 must be of the modded sort, as they pull 500hp at the fly, not the tire. They also run mid to high 12's at a fast trap speed.

That being said, I'd take my $35,000 Cobra with $1000 in mods, run 11's all day, and be done with it.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
I believe 99 was the last year for the S351. Now their top model (besides the S7) is the S281-E.

Pyro

Established Member
To me, it's about Value. An older Mustang for more money or the brand new Mustang for less. If I had the money I would probably get the Cobra, Saleen-ize it, and get something like a venom package for under the price of the used S351. On the other hand, how often do you see an S351? Sorry that I'm no help but I can go either way. In short, good question.

94SVT Coupe

Ford Fanatic
Established Member
Don't buy a Saleen, they are junk. Ask former/current owners how they fell about their Saleen's reliablity and Saleen's customer service for their probelms. You'll be at the Ford dealer the next day.

Last edited:

Scream'nCobra

Cobra:No Substitute
Established Member
This is a really good question, and ill have you know that you arent the only one debating this. My girlfriend cannot decide between the 03 cobra or the S351 either. I am pushing her towards the cobra, but that is my personal preference. I say test drive each, and keep in mind you can reach 500 rwhp in an 03 cobra in no more than $1000. But on the other hand, you wont have a Saleen S351 if you get a cobra, and that car is badass! Good luck!

Brad

Banned
Originally posted by 94SVT Coupe
Don't buy a Saleen, they are junk. Ask former/current owners how they fell about their Saleen's reliablity and Saleen's customer service for their probelms. You'll be at the Ford dealer the next day.

I feel the same way, but I think the S351 is a special case! if you got the money I would go with the S351. Hell, at the very least youll have a super rare mustang, in my book that counts for alot.

DaveG

Established Member
to see what I'm talking about.....go to www.undergroundracing.com and click videos.....
click on the video "Saleen S-281 vs Supra T66" BTW the supra ran an 11.3

(He would put a 281 sticker over the 351 badge..thats why it sayes 281)

94SVT Coupe

Ford Fanatic
Established Member
The S351 is a bad ass ride. No doubt. As long you you are prepared for what you get from Saleen, then go for it. I was just trying to let you know of their reputation beyond what magazines say, in case you hadn't heard.

I really think you be happier with a 03 and the cash to mod it as you wish. But you never know, you might end up with an 03 like rskdsk got and that particular Saleen may have zero problems. But those odds aren't real likely.

DaveG

Established Member
I'm not prepared for the problems on the saleen.......like what??

StangD281

Established Member
Originally posted by DaveG
to see what I'm talking about.....go to www.undergroundracing.com and click videos.....
click on the video "Saleen S-281 vs Supra T66" BTW the supra ran an 11.3

(He would put a 281 sticker over the 351 badge..thats why it sayes 281)
The secrets about that car are kept very tight. It is an S351, but there is major work done to the engine to support the high boost levels it is pushing.

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
I think... if cash isnt a problem, get the S-351. Those things are SUPER RARE!!! and the last production mustang to come with a pushrod engine.. (the 351, nonetheless). If I had the money, and the opportunity, I would definately get the 351.

-Homer

94SVT Coupe

Ford Fanatic
Established Member
They are rare, but..

The car in question is a 99 and never had a pushrod engine in the bay from the factory. And, no 351 powered SN95 Mustangs came out of the factory at all, except for the 95 Cobra R's. And I think those engines were installed off the line by SVT.

DaveG: You need to go to some of the larger Mustang boards and do a search for Saleen owners. Then read some of their posts. There's a few former owners here that may chip in some of their Saleens experiences. Don't get me wrong, I called them junk, but they are still Fords, so how badly could Saleen screw it up right? ;)

94SVT Coupe

Ford Fanatic
Established Member
Originally posted by StangD281
The secrets about that car are kept very tight. It is an S351, but there is major work done to the engine to support the high boost levels it is pushing.

Yea, there's no way that thing is stock. It just left the Supra like it's a Geo. I'm sure the Supra is in the 5 to 6 hundred (peak LOL) HP range.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
I have a 99 Saleen S281 right now. I don't have any problems with it at all. It's been just fine. However, I have heard/seen quite a few people that have had problems with theirs, namely paint issues and poor customer service. How many people are having problems vs. how many people own them? I don't know. It seems that the 03 Cobras are having quite a few problems too, but that's what you get with a mass produced assembly line car, it's not going to be perfect.

03CobraBro

Established Member
The last Saleen S351 was a 98... The only Saleen with the current gen body to use the 351 is the Saleen SR and those will run you close to 160 thousand dollars.

Assuming, dave, that your talking about a 98 S351, as quick as your making it sound I'd deffinatly go for the S351.

Last edited:

DaveG

Established Member
I called Saleen and gave them the vin. I also have the window sticker. Its a 1999 S-351 and the sticker is $61,933. They built 40 351's in 99.

03CobraBro

Established Member
Well I'll be damn'ed... they did make em. (just looked it up on the search engine) Go for it man. Esspecially if they only made 40 of em and you have the oppritunity to get one for 61k and its already running in the 10's.

Users who are viewing this thread