1999 S351 Saleen or '03 Cobra

raiders03

Banned
I'd take the S-351 even though I've heard Saleen's are pieces of shit. Does the S-351 have a steel or aluminum block? I hear about people blowing there motors all the time in the S-281 because they still have an aluminum block.

StangD281

Established Member
Originally posted by EatonLS-1s
I'd take the S-351 even though I've heard Saleen's are pieces of shit. Does the S-351 have a steel or aluminum block? I hear about people blowing there motors all the time in the S-281 because they still have an aluminum block.
The S-351 is the Windsor motor...I would have to think it's iron.

The S-281 actually has the iron block as well. They are GT motors at the heart of it all.

Last edited:

94SVT Coupe

Ford Fanatic
Established Member
Originally posted by mike_b_svt
To summarize what has already been mentioned...

S351 and '95 Cobra R are the only SN95 mustangs built with a 351.

I wouldn't say the S351 was built with a 351. It was built with a 302 or 3.8 or 4.6, then Saleen did a engine, computer, tranny swap.

OverToad

Established Member
There's no question that the s351 will have a greater resale value. It's a LEGITIMATE limited production car. There's about 12000 Cobra's made this year. And even though Saleen's are garbage, it's rare enough and fast enough to hold it's value.

Now, like Mskwik, I'm a former disgruntled Saleen owner. The cars are thrown together by monkey's are aren't quallified to work in body shops, and getting anything warrantied on their cars is virtually impossible.

I'm also seeing concerns over insurance.

Listen, if money is an issue, then only a fool would consider buying this Saleen. Your going to invest tons of cash in the car for repairs, and you don't have any warranty at all. Insurance shouldn't even be a consideration in this decision.

Here's the way I really see it:

Your wanting the power and looks of that s351. That much is obvious. Sure, it only has 2200 miles or whatever, but you can trust those miles were ripped off of that car a 1/4 mile at a time :nonono: And as someone else stated, that isn't a daily driver. It's either a show car, or a race car, because Saleen's do not last. I also think it's funny you mentioned that if you get the Cobra, you'll keep it stock to keep the warranty. If a warranty is that important to you, why are you even considering that ticking time bomb?????? :shrug:

jdub03

Established Member
I would have to agree with Overtoad. If you go with the S351 you maybe infor major warranty issues. However, those cars are unbelievable when they are running correctly, but the Cobras are very close, especially if you chip and pulley the Cobra.

As far as Saleens go, I have an 03 Cobra Saleen and I did have a few issues when I took delivery on it. I have not had any problems getting the issues warrantied, but some of the parts are on back order. Example: One of the wheels had a blemish, now it is not very noticeable, but I figured, I paid a lot of money for this car, so I wanted it to be perfect. Well, the wheel was warrantied without any problems, but they are on back order and have been for the past month (I am looking for a March delivery on the wheel). I had similar problems ordering replacement parts for another car in the past. Saleen is notorious for Customer Service problems, just check out the web board on the Saleen site, but they seem to be taking steps to help correct this. If you buy the Saleen, make sure you take a good look at the paint and find yourself a good Saleen Rep/Service dept. My Saleen Rep has taken very good care of me and has acted as my interface to Saleen.

As the cars goes, I was happy with the 03 because I got the performance and power of the '03 (Saleen did not touch the engine of the ECU) and the Ford warranty and the look of the Saleen, plus the rarity.

FASN8N

Established Member
I have owned 2 S-351s (one 94 SCed/one 95 non-Sced) a S281, and an 89 convertible Saleen. The comment about a S-351 insured as a V-6 is accurate. I have had numerous conversations about this with a few insurance agents and was told that if I can produce documentation that would support the value of my car, then that is what would be paid on the car in the event a loss occurred. I would still recommed a stated value policy for anyone with a collectable car. That way there is no question about the valuation if a loss is realized. I have had ZERO problems with my cars. I understand that peple who own 99+ model year Saleens have had more problems than people who own prior year cars (mostly customer service and paint related issues). Someone mentioned "The secrets about that car are kept very tight. It is an S351, but there is major work done to the engine to support the high boost levels it is pushing." I don't know who he talked to, but my conservatively tuned 94 S-351 with the factory 6lb pulley (making 8lbs) of boost and 36lb injectors made 430rwhp and 430rwtq. I can easily swap in a larger mass air meter, 42lb injectors, a custom chip, and an larger pulley and attain 500rwhp. The S-351 has a very conservative cam and restrictive stock H-pipe that can free up a lot of horsepower. My car had a cleaner emissions test than a 2001 V-6 Honda Accord! If your goal is to have an everyday driver you can have fun with, go for the 03 Cobra. If you are buying the car for some weekend fun & as a partial investment that you can drive and enjoy, the S-351 is the car for you. I truly love both the 03 Cobra and S-351, but they are different cars for different functions. No car is perfect, but I have to give Saleen credit for building a great looking/peforming collector car and Ford credit for giving the consumers what they want (03 Cobra) with a warranty. We all love the base car which is a Mustang. Lets keep the thoughts positive.

DaveG

Established Member
Thanks for all the imputs everyone! The S-351 has a stage 2 computer a pulley for more boost and 42lb injectors, no cats and an x-pipe. I don't know if the block is aluminum but it has forged aluminum pistons, aluminum heads. I am looking for a daily driver, but I also will have a "winter vehicle" also so it wouldnt be my only car.

Overtoad: I was hoping that the saleen with such few miles wouldnt have any warrantee "issues".....however, now everyone is getting me kinda worried.

I think I will go test drive the new '03 cobra today and see how it compared to my modded '01 Lightning. That may just convince me to get the cobra.

But here's another pic of the saleen with different wheels....

StangD281

Established Member
Originally posted by FASN8N
Someone mentioned "The secrets about that car are kept very tight. It is an S351, but there is major work done to the engine to support the high boost levels it is pushing." I don't know who he talked to, but my conservatively tuned 94 S-351 with the factory 6lb pulley (making 8lbs) of boost and 36lb injectors made 430rwhp and 430rwtq.
I said that, and the Saleen in question has forged rods, pistons, and heads. The boost is running rather high, and he can pull 10's on slicks. That IS a low 11 second Supra he beat by 3-4 carlengths. So your 430 rwhp version is just as badass? Is that what you are telling me? :shrug:

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
stang-- I think he thought you were talking about saleen's in general. The guy didn't know you meant the modded saleen in the video keeps his mods secret.

Dave G-- Sorry to ask this obvious question but I think I must haved missed the answer, the saleen you want to buy is the modded saleen that beats the red T66 supra with black wheels right? If so, why is that guy selling the car?

DaveG

Established Member
The guy is selling because he also has a yellow S-281 Convt. His cousin has a S-351 also that puts down 575 REAR WHEEL hp!!!

OverToad

Established Member
If so, why is that guy selling the car?

More money than sense?

I kinda like the black chromes on the car. A Saleen is flashy enough to get away with it, and the s351 has enough ballz to back it up. However, I don't think it'd look good on a Cobra (As someone would eventually mention ;-) )

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
Well, if that is the car in the vid, and you might be buying the car from him, has he given you any idea of what he has done to the car or how much rwhp he is putting down? I know I keep asking alot of useless questions but that video got a lot of attention on some other forums. I am interested to know how he beat that T66 supra so bad.

FASN8N

Established Member
I am telling you that with the limited mods that I listed, yes, my car can be just as "badass" as the car in question.

Originally posted by StangD281
I said that, and the Saleen in question has forged rods, pistons, and heads. The boost is running rather high, and he can pull 10's on slicks. That IS a low 11 second Supra he beat by 3-4 carlengths. So your 430 rwhp version is just as badass? Is that what you are telling me? :shrug:

FASN8N

Established Member
Originally posted by StangD281
His is pushing 570 to the ground....you are about 140 short with your parts list.

If you go back and re-read the original post you will notice that this is the information from the car in question

"Which should I purchase?? 1999 Saleen S-351, 500rearwheelhp runs high 10's on slicks.. less than 2,000 miles..recaro seats 3.55 rear, mint mint....$50,000.(new MSRP
$61,939."

500-430 = 70rwhp.... not that hard to get with the mods that I listed.

Why is it that some people spend all their time trying to prove other people wrong?

StangD281

Established Member
Originally posted by FASN8N
If you go back and re-read the original post you will notice that this is the information from the car in question

"Which should I purchase?? 1999 Saleen S-351, 500rearwheelhp runs high 10's on slicks.. less than 2,000 miles..recaro seats 3.55 rear, mint mint....$50,000.(new MSRP
$61,939."

500-430 = 70rwhp.... not that hard to get with the mods that I listed.

Why is it that some people spend all their time trying to prove other people wrong?
Not trying to prove you wrong...just trying to figure out why so bent out of shape. The car in question, after realizing what car it was, has more than 500 at the wheels. Just FYI...

darkcrayz

Established Member
I understand that the S-351 is a rare car, but why does special paint and the logo Saleen make it so special.

You can take any Cobra and mod it to make it a partial investment and weekend driver. It doesnt have to say Saleen to be special.

TTAFB_SVT

BETHA'S BACK !!!!!!!
Established Member
Saleen. Hands down. Without even the slightest hint of doubt.

This is the car that is or was at Performance Autosports right?

DaveG

Established Member
Yes, the car is for sale on the perfomance autosports site.

Users who are viewing this thread