1999 S351 Saleen or '03 Cobra

FASN8N

Established Member
The original car in question that created this post was the 500rwhp 99 S-351 and then someone brought this other S-351 into the mix that the owners brother owns (575rwhp)..
A Cobra is a great car, but not an investment. The Cobra will be worth high teens at best in 5 years, whereas the Saleen will probably be worth what you paid for it if not slightly more (not MSRP, but $45-$50k used). The 00R can be purchased for mid to high $30ks with very few miles on them at this point and even many of the 03 Cobras can be purchased for $28-$30k with a few miles and possibly some mods. 40% depreciation in 2-3 years (on 00R) and 20% depreciation (03 Conbra) is not my idea of a good investment.
Once again I am not bashing Cobras (why would I be on this site if I didn't have an affinity for them?), I love them, I love all Mustangs new or old.
I am simply stating to buy an S-351 if you want a collectable and fun weekend car and to buy a 03 Cobra for a daily driver/weekend warrior.

NMRAcer

Aviator & Terminator
Established Member
03 Cobra without a doubt. theres nothing like driving it off the showroom yourself. Plus you can get that 500 hp level really quikly with very little mods.

03CobraBro

Established Member
Originally posted by KevinJKD
Well, if that is the car in the vid, and you might be buying the car from him, has he given you any idea of what he has done to the car or how much rwhp he is putting down? I know I keep asking alot of useless questions but that video got a lot of attention on some other forums. I am interested to know how he beat that T66 supra so bad.

I dont mean to sound arrogant, if I do its due to my limited knowledge of Supras, But if that S351( if thats the stang in the vid racing this T66) is a 10 second car and the Supra is supposed to beat him, how the hell fast are those damn'ed things (T66 supras)?

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
the reason I keep asking is because a single turbo supra can produce anywhere from 650-850+rwhp. The power they can make is incredible and they have one of the best built engines. I don't remember the details of the supra, so he could have been on pump gas and only making around 550rwhp. But if he is running high boost he is in the 600's easily. And, racing on the highway from a 40-60mph roll is what they do best. So I was surprised to see how the saleen pulled on the supra from a roll so badly. The supras are very fast top end (3rd-6th gear). Even when the supra brake boosted it made no difference. Thats why I am very interested to know how much the saleen was making.

Last edited:

03CobraBro

Established Member
My vote deffinatly goes to number 2 in that side by side... Maybe if the top one didnt have those god awful black rims it might make me think differently... but I'd probably still go with the 03.

I remember when I used to think Saleens and Roush'es looked so awsome... But now, I'm really just not as impressed with em as I once was, esspecially now owning an 03 Cobra, but I just see so many V6/GT's with steeda, stalker, other aftermarket body kits, etc. Its just lost its luster.

I was sitting behind a roush today at a stop light, I think it was a stage 1 (thats the V6 right?) anyway I'll tell ya that thing looked like a POS, one taillight was blacked out and the other looked like a standard stang tail light. The rims... I dont know if it was a knock off of a roush or what but the rims, well lets just say I'v seen hub caps that are more appealing. Deffinatly looked like an authetic roush though, had all of the skirts side pipes, roush emblems, etc. So I dont know :shrug:. Just wasnt too good.

To think about those V6 roushes... somebodies paid close to 30 grand for that thing, I know some people cant afford the V8 and the insurance the goes with it but come on.

Last edited:

YoungCobra

aka BigBlackCobra
Established Member
Buy the one that'll make you happy.
My vote would go to 03 Cobra though...
How about an 03 Saleen Cobra...they're pretty rare( I could be wrong).
Good luck.

Infra-Red SVT

Established Member
I would go 4 the Saleen. I've always wanted a '89 Saleen SSC. I love that car. Or even a '93 Saleen SA10. Go 4 the Saleen S351. I know i would.

Users who are viewing this thread