1999 S351 Saleen or '03 Cobra

DaveG

Established Member
Thanks everyone for the replies........I'm still not sure. I would keep the cobra stock cuz I modded my lightning and not sure if i want to play with the warrantee issues again. Yes the Saleen has been used hard, but it has about 2,000 miles only on it. Still unsure.........no sleep tonight. I keep watching the video I posted the link to .....makes a strong argument for the Saleen. I would hate to lose to that Supra in a brand new cobra.

FLBuckeye

Established Member
I would go with the 03 Cobra.........or at least test drive one !!
This car has MORE than enough power/speed unless you're going to the track...........but if you want a VERY unique car get the SALEEN.
part of what I like about this car (03 Cobra) is it's stealth.......Everyone (non-racing fans) thinks it's a normal 'Stang........until I stay in 4th gear as I get on the 70 mph highway each AM..........HAHAHA ...90 ..100 in no time (HAHAHA ..if needed in an emergency of course !!!)

still think I would get a Z06 or M3 if I had that kind of money to spend (50K)......IMHO

But I am VERY happy with the Red Vert 03 !!

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
Part of the question is, do you want a pushrod 5.8L with a live axle or the modular DOHC 4.6L (now with forged pistons..manley rods... ect...you guys know the rest...) with the IRS. It depends on what your going to do with the car.

BTW-- the saleen you want to buy is the exact one in the vid?? If so, he has to be pushing at least 600rwhp. Why is he selling it?

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
one more thing. I don't think the first two videos with the 99 S351 vs the Roush and the 93GT are correct. It has to be an S281 saleen because whenever the guy gets on it you hear a roots type blower. (and its not the roush because you also hear it against the 93GT) The S351 used a vortech.

Ron Short

Established Member
I'd definitely get the 03 Cobra. There's a lot of little things that Ford adressed on the new cars that add up to being a lot nicer package.

Just curious. Is this Saleen in question from a guy in Seattle? (white, blue stripe, speedster, charcoal interior) If it is, I know the guy and it'll be in 99.9% new condition if it is. I'd still buy an 03 though. :)

Blades

Established Member
If you have the money then get the Saleen and keep the miles off. Its one of those cars thats ok to drive every once and a while. It HAS to be saved..

darkcrayz

Established Member
What is so special about the Saleen? For the money you spend on it you can get an '03 and have more hp. What is so special about it that you have to hold on to it? I probably am biased, but someone explain to me why they are so 'special'.

Ron Short

Established Member
If it's the same guy I'm talking about, the insurance comment is right on the money. He was floored when he got his bill in for it and it was far less than what he was paying for his 98 GT. It cost him 3 times more than the GT and it's almost unreplacable, but the insurance was 30-40% less than a run of the mill GT. Makes a lot of sense, huh?!?

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
That's all fine and dandy, but what happens if he totals it and they're looking to replace a v6 Mustang?

Blades

Established Member
Originally posted by matt lankford
insurance would be alot less on the 351, its a v-6 vin number. something must be wrong with that supra, a t66 car tuned right is 650rwhp.

I believe it was a SP57..

HAMMRHEAD

Established Member
Originally posted by DaveG
Which should I purchase?? 1999 Saleen S-351, 500rearwheelhp runs high 10's on slicks.. less than 2,000 miles..recaro seats 3.55 rear, mint mint....$50,000.(new MSRP
$61,939. Or the new '03 Cobra. How about resale values?? Thanks for any opinions...

IF by chance you have any interest in a '95 R, mine's for sale. 850 miles, $30K firm.:)

DaveG

Established Member
Kevin, you are right about the videos.. The only one with the 351 was the race against the Supra T66. I'm going to call my insurance company with the vin and see what type of quote I get back for the saleen. My last cobra, a '98 cost me $3000yr here in NJ, for a 40yr old with a clean driving record, no tickets, and a mulit-car discount!!

MS KWIK

Established Member
As a previous '99 S351 Speedster owner and current 2003 Cobra owner, I'd say get the '03 Cobra and save yourself $15K. My '99 S351 was a beautiful car, but for $70K never ran right. Mine was one of several cars which dyno'd really low, and had to go back to Saleen for re-tuning. It finally spit out a whopping 435rwhp and 444rwtq with the addition of a Bassani X-pipe with cats. I believe the new Cobra can achieve those results with minor mods. Currently my Cobra is stock, I haven't had any money to do anything with it, but am just ordering a Magnaflow catback from JDM this morning :)

Also, your S351 has NO warranty. Mine came with a giant 1 year warranty. The car was back at Saleen several times, there was some issue with a baffle on the intake manifold which caused the engine to burn excessive amounts of oil. Saleen replaced this baffle and over tightened the manifold, causing the gasket to crack, then I had a hell of a time getting them to warranty the replacement of the gasket. I went through HELL with this car, and finally sold it with 7K miles on it early last year for $48K, and this was a convertible! That red coupe is not worth $50K, I can tell ya that, especially in this economy. It does have ultra low mileage though..... I know of a white '99 S351 Speedster for sale in Washington for $46K with 15K miles on it. I think he's selling it to buy a 2003 Cobra........

Check out my website and send me an email if you have any questions.

Shelley

Last edited:

mike_b_svt

Top down and cruisin'
Established Member
Originally posted by darkcrayz
What is so special about the Saleen? For the money you spend on it you can get an '03 and have more hp. What is so special about it that you have to hold on to it? I probably am biased, but someone explain to me why they are so 'special'.

To summarize what has already been mentioned...

S351 and '95 Cobra R are the only SN95 mustangs built with a 351. Heck, there weren't even any Fox-body mustangs w/ 351!

Production was LOW. As mentioned, 40 S351 cars in '99, and 300 '95 R's, maybe another 2 or 300 saleen S351s from all other years. So you are looking at 1 of abt 750. In the long run, I think resale would be much better than the '03 cobra, simply for the sake of rarity and "desirability". There will always be folks that will pay more just 'cuz it has "Saleen" on the side of it.

So as for why it is so "special", it is a whole Mustang thing. What makes the '03 Cobra special? Is it just the supercharger, or is there more to it? After all, for much less than $35K you can buy an older cobra (or other make/model) and make it out perform our '03s.

Dont' get me wrong, I love my '03 Cobra, and I think it is definitely a special car. But my reasons are that it is a "mustang thing".

Later,

Users who are viewing this thread