2.3L Turbo the most interesting new offering?

Voltwings

Established Member
It will be a WHILE before anyone makes tons of power with these cars. Getting bigger injectors is the problem, I know it has become a nightmare for the mazdaspeed guys.

The problem with the mazdaspeed is our injectors were actually made by mitsubishi, every other platform uses Bosch, i know the Cobalt SS/TC and GTI had interchangeable injectors. With the Corvette C7 and ecoboost v6 being DI, hopefully everyone will end up on the same page and injectors will come out quick.

RaceRedSnake

Established Member
I just saw the pictures of the turbo four on Mustangs Daily. The engine cover just looks horid. I hope the engineers at Ford clean up the engine and leave off the engine cover. I don't like paying for something that adds weight, is in the way, and adds to the cost of producing the Mustang.

Voltwings

Established Member
Any concerns with the lack of (reported so far) oil cooler for the turbo?

Oil cooler for the turbo, or oil cooler for the oil in general? Most cars nowdays have an oil cooler that uses engine coolant right off the Filter area. That being said, most stock turbo cars use turbos that are a combination of oil cooled and liquid cooled, so even if it didn't have an oil cooler I don't see it being detrimental.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Oil cooler for the turbo, or oil cooler for the oil in general? Most cars nowdays have an oil cooler that uses engine coolant right off the Filter area. That being said, most stock turbo cars use turbos that are a combination of oil cooled and liquid cooled, so even if it didn't have an oil cooler I don't see it being detrimental.

Integrated oil cooler for the turbo. In one of Sid's NAIAS posts, he had detailed pics of the 2.3, which looked to not have an oil cooler for the turbo.

Willie2

Established Member
Premium Member
FRPP released their tuner for the 2.0 EB that is said to give +90 TQ. Do you think they may do the same for this 2.3? From what I've read none of the aftermarket tuners have figured out how to tune any ecoboost up to factory standards because there is something in the tune that Ford will not allow to be messed with yet. I think they are holding something up their sleeve for now.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I know the 3.5 ecoboost ecu is "cracked"

The 2.0 might not be but that would surprise me. Maybe there isn't enough demand yet?

Steve@Tasca

FRPP released their tuner for the 2.0 EB that is said to give +90 TQ. Do you think they may do the same for this 2.3? From what I've read none of the aftermarket tuners have figured out how to tune any ecoboost up to factory standards because there is something in the tune that Ford will not allow to be messed with yet. I think they are holding something up their sleeve for now.

I'm quite sure FRPP is already playing with mod parts for the 2.3 Mustang. :beer:

try03venom

Established Member
The more I think about this the more I wish Ford would offer a turbo v6 I just dont see the point of a turbo 4 cyl its always gonna be an under achiever

04svtsnke

Established Member
The more I think about this the more I wish Ford would offer a turbo v6 I just dont see the point of a turbo 4 cyl its always gonna be an under achiever

Ford already said that they'll be putting the 3.5 ecoboost in the mustang a little later down the road. The 2.0 is really for the worldwide release ford is doing. I wouldn't be surprised if the actual new version of the SVO isn't the newer platform mustang with the 3.5 ecoboost.

What do you mean by underachiever?

helli217

Established Member
I wonder how it's going to sound

This.

I love all high performance engines, have owned all sorts, 4 to 8 cyl, N/A and FI, modded and tuned them. I however know that when I start seeing these cars on the road, I'm going to be disappointed when I hear them pulling off and accelerating emitting a tuned 4 cylinder sound. Very few of them sound cool, and usually require just the right exhaust to do so. Boxer engines sound cool in their own way, but inlines are usually annoying no matter how you look at it.

Inline 5's have always had a cool sound (think TTRS, other older Audi's, RS2), but inline 4's...UGH.:xpl:

StevenStarke

Fast/Reliable/Cheap pick2
Established Member
LOL at someone comparing 335i's which are 3.0 Turbo 6cyls.

Yes, the aftermarket will respond to this car, no doubt. But they're not going to make 500+whp no problem. I think 400-440whp will be the absolute max WITH all of the bolt ons (turbo, intercooler, piping, exhaust, fuel, etc...). And the people who do that will be so excited to beat a 5.0 or keep up with one with bolt ons. Yea you saved 5k on the car, and spent in mods instead.

Bmr4life

Established Member

Yes, the aftermarket will respond to this car, no doubt. But they're not going to make 500+whp no problem. I think 400-440whp will be the absolute max WITH all of the bolt ons (turbo, intercooler, piping, exhaust, fuel, etc...). And the people who do that will be so excited to beat a 5.0 or keep up with one with bolt ons. Yea you saved 5k on the car, and spent in mods instead.

I agree with everything you said.

paynecasey

Established Member

All true but at least the 2.3 will be a slightly lighter car.

Steve@Tasca

Everyone has different goals for their cars, I can see the four cylinder guys doing a lot of road course/Auto-x stuff and with the lighter drivetrain they should have significantly better handling than the V8 versions. Its not all about drag racing.

As for power output, only time will tell. I know a guy with a 600whp turbo Focus but being front drive it's basically useless because it constantly breaks things.

-Steve

Users who are viewing this thread