2.3L Turbo the most interesting new offering?

heatsoaked12

Established Member
They already announced it will take 87. But if people can't afford the extra 4 bucks a tank for premium they probably shouldn't buy a sports car.

Forgot about the direct injection! I also remember speaking to a Ford engineer at the auto show and him telling me how with direct injection the tune can actually inject fuel into the cylinder up to 7 times after top dead center for combustion. It was his answer to my question of how a ecoboost engine could run higher compression, a turbo and regular fuel. Its basically gasoline engine running with diesel characteristics (fuel delivery pump in tank, mechanical fuel pump run by one of the cams made of billet materials for high durability)

ExTurbo

Established Member
The integrated exhaust manifold isn't really a bad thing. All you need is a simple elbow (cast perhaps, with an integrated waste gate) to swap to different turbos.

i was under the impression the exhaust manifold was integrated into the hot side of the turbo, as in cast as one piece (if thats even possible)

Edit: ok from pictures ive seen the manifold and the hot side of the turbo are one piece, however it seems that the manifold turbo combo are bolted right to the cylinder head. so changing the turbo out should be as simple as unbolting the existing manifold/turbo and adding a tubular header with a flange for whatever size turbo you want :)

This makes a lot of sense and really is a smart move for warranty repairs and for future upgrades
1.6lEcoBoost-4.jpg

Last edited:

Voltwings

Established Member
O E85 is a whole different ball game. I was referring to pump gas because E85 you can do a ton with very little airflow. How much does the K04 on the MS3 flow. I saw this but I can't read it

http://www.mazda3forums.com/showthread.php?t=292509

I'm wondering if they do use the GT22 we can make a good guestimate on what power we can get out of the motor depending on how it flows vs the k04.

To be honest i have no idea how to read those either haha.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
i was under the impression the exhaust manifold was integrated into the hot side of the turbo, as in cast as one piece (if thats even possible)

Edit: ok from pictures ive seen the manifold and the hot side of the turbo are one piece, however it seems that the manifold turbo combo are bolted right to the cylinder head. so changing the turbo out should be as simple as unbolting the existing manifold/turbo and adding a tubular header with a flange for whatever size turbo you want :)

This makes a lot of sense and really is a smart move for warranty repairs and for future upgrades
1.6lEcoBoost-4.jpg

Crap, I was thinking of the Focus ST head design.

SlowSVT

Established Member
I think people are forgetting that this isn't the first time I4 or even a turbocharged 2.3L I4 has been offered in a Mustang.

Interesting, but not necessarily new.
Ford Mustang SVO - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I drove a brand new SVO and a GT back-to-back. The SVO was just as fast but the 5.0 just had more grunt! For a DD the 4 cyl will be fine. For performance in a car as large as the S550. I don't think so :nonono:

Don't get me wrong, the OHV 2.3 is no Ecoboost

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
I like the idea, and I hope that the turbo tech gets passed to the v8s.

So do I. I also hope the Direct Injection tech gets passed to the V8's too.

The Coyote was designed to have DI from the beginning. The combustion chamber of the coyote cylinder head has a tiny little casting boss where the DI injector would likely be placed.

We've seen the benefits of EFI. Direct Injection EFI along with all the other new tech that the OEM's have been introducing such as Variable Cam Timing, Flex Fuel (with the Ethanol Percentage Sensor) among other things are all technologies that should be embraced by the aftermarket.

Imagine what the tuners could do with DI, especially on a turbo motor. The 2.3 will be a great place for aftermarket tuners to learn about the tuning intricacies, weak areas, and parts that need to be upgraded... that why they'll be a step ahead when the 5.0 gets Direct Fuel Injection. And it will, there's no doubt about that.

Homer

trolls56

Established Member
So do I. I also hope the Direct Injection tech gets passed to the V8's too.

The Coyote was designed to have DI from the beginning. The combustion chamber of the coyote cylinder head has a tiny little casting boss where the DI injector would likely be placed.

We've seen the benefits of EFI. Direct Injection EFI along with all the other new tech that the OEM's have been introducing such as Variable Cam Timing, Flex Fuel (with the Ethanol Percentage Sensor) among other things are all technologies that should be embraced by the aftermarket.

Imagine what the tuners could do with DI, especially on a turbo motor. The 2.3 will be a great place for aftermarket tuners to learn about the tuning intricacies, weak areas, and parts that need to be upgraded... that why they'll be a step ahead when the 5.0 gets Direct Fuel Injection. And it will, there's no doubt about that.

Homer

If you haven't noticed some of the aftermarket companies have got very into the ecoboost market since it was announced that the mustang will be getting one. Just one example is CJ Pony Parts they have bought themselves an ecoboost F150 and a new ST Focus since after the announcement.

427Windsorman

Currently between Fords
Established Member
I am a V8 guy, but I loved my the SVO back in the day, as well. I had a good friend that had an 86 SVO that was pretty mean. It sounded good, it looked good, and it ran good. A new SVO would be awesome, and I would own one as a daily driver, and keep my Cobra / or GT500 (whatever the top dog Mustangs ends up being) for part time duty.

BigBen408

Established Member
Ehh,

$700 for some Manley turbo tuff rods
$600 for some weisco pistons
$250 for some head studs
$2000 for a FP turbo (red or black in size)
some injectors, tune and exhaust prolly another $1500 or so..

That will be good for 575-600 RWHP... I have total faith in this car, and I for one would be interested in it. my 2.0L lancer evo made 700 awhp with similar mods.

Yeah, sure it'll make that much horsepower...lololololololol

peteypab2133

Established Member

Yep because no other 4 bangers are making 600 hp.. tell that to the sti, evo, gti, civic etc etc owners with 2.0 or smaller motors some make 1100 or 1200 hp. Just wait till AMS or Buschur get one. It will literally be weeks before it makes atleast 500 rwhp (pending tuning software is available)

Voltwings

Established Member

Yep because no other 4 bangers are making 600 hp.. tell that to the sti, evo, gti, civic etc etc owners with 2.0 or smaller motors some make 1100 or 1200 hp. Just wait till AMS or Buschur get one. It will literally be weeks before it makes atleast 500 rwhp (pending tuning software is available)

Lol i agree, sounds like we got a V8 fan boy here, take yourself over to Mazdaspeed forums and see how well the 2.3L DISI is doing. The mazdaspeed engine was most likely a test bed for this platform, or at the very least they will be shockingly similar and there are several over 400 whp on stock motor. Hell, i've been tuning one for a little over a year now which just took the highest hp stock turbo record, he made 375 whp and 456 wtq cracking off 4.7 60-100's. being FWD we dont put much stock in 1/4 trap speeds lol 60-100 is where its at. For reference, a bone stock C6 Z06 will do a 4.2-4.3 60-100.

This ecoboost will be a performer for sure, of that i have no doubt.

Link to said Dyno thread. http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/forum/f428/built-bolted-stock-k04-possible-record-162913/

Last edited:

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
You guys are very correct that the 2.3 will perform very well, but I think what Big Ben is implying is that it will take much more than just those mods because, and I'm assuming here, fuel, spark, tuning, etc plus possibly driveline components etc would be needed.

It's kinda like when someone says they can make 1000whp on their 2jz with a turbo swap, pistons, rods, gaskets and studs. Ya those parts are needed but you also need fuel, spark, tuning, driveline, etc components.

Again, just guessing/assuming. He may be a v8 till I die type but most people know nowadays that power is more about how much you wanna spend vs how much your base block displaces.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
The quoted post did say probably $1500 for exhaust, injectors, tune, etc but realistically, I'd imagine you'd also need a new fuel pump, possibly a boost a spark esq unit, ngktr6's or colder, high flow oil pump, I'd recommend meth injection, most likely axel shafts, definitely a clutch, probably upgraded tranny internals especially if it's an mt82, maybe a converter and shift kit if it's an auto, most definitely a boost controller, wide band, and appropriate live read gauges, something like a jms vampire timing sucker, etc.

Reason for all the safety; meth, gauges, wide band, live reads, jms timing vampire etc is the volumetric efficiency at play here and the power per L. That's basically 300+crankshaft hp/L. Safety doesn't hurt at that point for a reliability designated car.

Now for shops, ya they'll crack 600whp in weeks, and without the half of all that but most people wouldn't be as lucky with even just a few tanks of bad gas without all that safety.

Voltwings

Established Member
The quoted post did say probably $1500 for exhaust, injectors, tune, etc but realistically, I'd imagine you'd also need a new fuel pump, possibly a boost a spark esq unit, ngktr6's or colder, high flow oil pump, I'd recommend meth injection, most likely axel shafts, definitely a clutch, probably upgraded tranny internals especially if it's an mt82, maybe a converter and shift kit if it's an auto, most definitely a boost controller, wide band, and appropriate live read gauges, something like a jms vampire timing sucker, etc.

Reason for all the safety; meth, gauges, wide band, live reads, jms timing vampire etc is the volumetric efficiency at play here and the power per L. That's basically 300+crankshaft hp/L. Safety doesn't hurt at that point for a reliability designated car.

Now for shops, ya they'll crack 600whp in weeks, and without the half of all that but most people wouldn't be as lucky with even just a few tanks of bad gas without all that safety.

I've tuned over a dozen mazdaspeed3's and if they're anything like the upcoming 2.3, allow me to elaborate on your post.

Fuel pump- remember that since this is a DI motor it will need 2 pumps, an in-tank pump and a high pressure cam driven pump. It is possible the stock high pressure pump is fine, as the BMW guys never need to upgrade theirs, but the mazda one was very weak, only time will tell.

No need for a boost a spark, i myself made over 500 on the stock system and tuned at least 2 other cars doing so as well.

No need for a high flow oil pump (again, assuming this 2.3L is similar to the mazda)

Most factory turbo cars come with a bleeder valve as a boost controller. These are often weak and cannot keep the wastegate closed at high boost levels and get upgraded to solenoids. Assuming the Ecoboost comes with a solenoid itll save some money, but if not, they're like $100.

I also think you went a bit overkill with the safety haha, no need for an external system to pull timing, these modern computers are very advanced, and very good at keeping themselves alive.

I dont mean to come in here and sound like a know-it-all, but i've been doing the 4-cylinder thing now for a while, and i love the little things. Dont get me wrong, i sold it to get a V8 haha but i really am excited to see what becomes of this car...

Last edited:

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Voltwings, I can honestly say you definitely would know a lot more about di 2.3's than I do, so I will say I am the one coming in with a bit too much know it all, and a bit too little merit, definitely not you haha.

That's good to know regarding the computers and build design of the ms3 2.3 and I believe since ford owned Mazda when that engine was in production, it's very likely that the new 2.3 shares at the very least derivative design if not considerable design/construction similarity.

I base the safety options as a common place around 2hp/L and highly recommend them at 2.5+hp/L just as a rule if thumb, but if the computer is well enough engineered as you lay testament, then I am probably going a bit overboard in my assertion.

Voltwings

Established Member

I base the safety options as a common place around 2hp/L and highly recommend them at 2.5+hp/L just as a rule if thumb, but if the computer is well enough engineered as you lay testament, then I am probably going a bit overboard in my assertion.

This is true, i guess its easy to get a bit jaded when you consider 600 whp is essentially a "bolt on a power adder" affair with the 5.0's haha. I'm just hoping this motor is better than what's in the ST... that motor is absolutely awful -_-.

specizripn

Established Member
It will be a WHILE before anyone makes tons of power with these cars. Getting bigger injectors is the problem, I know it has become a nightmare for the mazdaspeed guys.

Users who are viewing this thread