2.9 Whipple + 5.3 MMR Stroker Dyno Numbers

Hangman

Modding is Expensive
Established Member
Its a funny thing, i got the exacy same combo from mmr, i had less than 20 miles on my new engine, the exact same thing happened..broken valve spring and lost all compression.. i called mmr they said they never heard of this before, i said to nergel are u sure u never heard of this , his reply was def never had any issues with the comp springs and turned me away and told me to call comp directly. i called the rep and explained what happened she told me that there is def no problems with their beehive springs and charged me $98 for a single spring shipped to me , now that was terrible customer service, i have no faith in any comp products at all.... i would rather someone would be upfront if they had problems with a certain product than try to pass the puck.. it aint a cheap repair when a engine drops a valve due to garbage springs.. MMR passed the puc in my case, never even offered to give me a single spring....very true.....not impressed....luckily my piston never got smashed up all i had to do was replace one spring....

Thats interesting to hear...you mind if i ask when this happened? The reason i ask is because right after this happened i spoke with MMR and they said this has happened twice in the past 6 months. So if you were one of the first ones or the actual first one, and it was a quick fix, they sent you on your way thinking it was a random occurrence. Maybe with my motor and the fact that it sounded really really broken and they have been seeing this as a recurring problem they decided to take the motor and help me out. Once i showed them the busted valve spring photos they just took care of it and fixed me up. I think whats going on is a defective batch of valve springs by comp, i originally thought it could have been mechanic error and when they pulled the motor they saw they f'kd something up. Not really sure but lucky you for it only being a valve spring and nothing more. 100 bucks is chump change to fix a broke motor though, not saying it didn't suck though.

And for the record, never putting a comp spring back in my car, Manley.

Last edited:

Hangman

Modding is Expensive
Established Member
Looks good and sounds amazing!

thank you sir!

Geeat #s

What compression are you running

compression is 9:1:1

Badass man that thing is a beast, fo sho!

Yeah beast is correct, roasts tires through 3rd and still chirps 4th gear.

There's been more than a few guys in the past that have slung MMR through the mud about various complaints, they ALL need to read this Thread! Talk about customer service, Big Props! And talk about an unassuming Vert, Nice Sleeper!

Yeah the car doesn't look any different than a stock cobra other than the stance. I think all these cars need is a drop, fat tires, and a widened stance to look damn gorgeous, after that i let the horsepower do the rest. When people line up they have no idea what they're getting into. "ohh look, a mustang, sounds good, prolly has some exhaust work, wait...it is a cobra, i think that means its a little faster...its all good the guy at the corvette dealership said i could never lose in this car." Famous last words.

Hangman

Modding is Expensive
Established Member
Sounds like you got HERCULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How would you compare MMR with Livernois???? That 5.3 def brings the ANIMAL OUT!!!!! CONGRATS BRO!!!!! :beer: :burnout: :burnout::rockon:

Hell yeah! its such a fun car. My pop has a livernois motor in his car, we ran into an issue when we first got his motor back, brand new motor, dropped it into his 96, hooked it up, wired it up, put fluids in it, right before we fire it up, my dad asks me to check under the car make sure there no leaks. Radiator fluid was dripping out of the passenger exhaust manifold. There was a crack somewhere in the motor and it was way broke. Had to pull it and send it back, had to pay for shipping and dont remember if he had to pay for parts. But after we got it back and finally got it running, that motor has been bullet proof, no issues, and my dad has beat the hell out of that motor. As for MMR, i cant really give you an accurate rating on the motor yet, i dont have enough miles on it to give a good answer. Customer service wise 10/10, engine wise, so far so good.

Hangman

Modding is Expensive
Established Member
Im actually looking at MMRs 1000rwhp motor for my build. Im going to have to do some research, thanks guys.

every company has their goods and bads, My dad and I have had bads from both MMR and Livernois at first, but we both have their motors in our cars for a reason. These are race engines, shit breaks. Call them up and talk, feel them out, MMR or Livernois? take your pick, they both build some badass motors. What made it such a pain in the ass for us was that i live in south florida, and both of these motor builders are on the other side of the country. Its tough to do business from such a distance.

houston03cobra

Established Member
Thats interesting to hear...you mind if i ask when this happened? The reason i ask is because right after this happened i spoke with MMR and they said this has happened twice in the past 6 months. So if you were one of the first ones or the actual first one, and it was a quick fix, they sent you on your way thinking it was a random occurrence. Maybe with my motor and the fact that it sounded really really broken and they have been seeing this as a recurring problem they decided to take the motor and help me out. Once i showed them the busted valve spring photos they just took care of it and fixed me up. I think whats going on is a defective batch of valve springs by comp, i originally thought it could have been mechanic error and when they pulled the motor they saw they f'kd something up fixed me up. Not really sure but lucky you for it only being a valve spring and nothing more. 100 bucks is chump change to fix a broke motor though, not saying it didn't suck though.

And for the record, never putting a comp spring back in my car, Manley.

i only got my engine from MMR in august, i spoke to Nergal at MMR...my engine sounded like it thru a rod, it wouldnt barely idle, knocking very badly...the valve was hitting the piston... but it never dropped completely, the spring looks just like urs in the pic, broke in half....

Hangman

Modding is Expensive
Established Member
i only got my engine from MMR in august, i spoke to Nergal at MMR...my engine sounded like it thru a rod, it wouldnt barely idle, knocking very badly...the valve was hitting the piston... but it never dropped completely, the spring looks just like urs in the pic, broke in half....

dont got an answer for you on that one, nergal was who helped me out, i feel your pain though, are you back up and running?

houston03cobra

Established Member
dont got an answer for you on that one, nergal was who helped me out, i feel your pain though, are you back up and running?

Yes back on the road, car runs real strong, 20 psi makes about 700 rwhp crazy power, in 4th gear all u got to do is put it to the floor it breaks traction right thru.. even got bfg 315 on rear, iam still afraid to race it cause iam afraid to drop a valve due to the springs...i only got about 1000 miles on the car since the engine installed....5.3 rips...

Hangman

Modding is Expensive
Established Member
Yes back on the road, car runs real strong, 20 psi makes about 700 rwhp crazy power, in 4th gear all u got to do is put it to the floor it breaks traction right thru.. even got bfg 315 on rear, iam still afraid to race it cause iam afraid to drop a valve due to the springs...i only got about 1000 miles on the car since the engine installed....5.3 rips...

thats serious, i completely understand what you mean by not wanting to race, ive been kinda babying her. Whats great is you dont really have to go WOT when your racing 95% of the cars on the road haha. I usually just stay with them for a sec then zip past them sideways.

BIGGESTJOHNSON

Established Member

Do yourself a favor and throw those comp springs in the garbage. We have lost 2 different motors to them. The one that really hurt was the 5.4 4v, Ported GT heads, GT Block with dry sump, jessel valve train, Carrilo Rods, etc. in our 2000 Cobra R road race car. Follower bounced over the from timing gears and emded up in the drysump pan, the crank throw picked it up and destroyed everything, hit every rod/piston and then left through the side of the block....

Hangman

Modding is Expensive
Established Member
i know MMR put manley springs in after the comps, although im not sure which type are in the car

Hangman

Modding is Expensive
Established Member
MMR's warranty is too short IMO. 12 months for a $5000 motor. Hmm...

i dont know that making it any longer would make sense if a business is trying to turn a profit, these are race motors and in 1 year people can put some miles/load on them. Although in my case it took about a year to complete the build so...maybe longer would be nice.

Just checking in. Another one with Comp 4V Beehive Springs and 0psi in a hole...

aint that a bitch, seems like comp needs to get their product in working order.

:bowdown:nice ride OP

thanks, much appreciated

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
^^ lol with the power he's making it's already insane.. I don't even run my 93 octane tune here in AL.. I'm only on 18 degrees of timing and can run 20.. There is just no need for it when you're faster than like 95% of the cars on the road lol. :beer:

Hangman

Modding is Expensive
Established Member
I'm surprised you haven't turned the boost up to 17/18 lbs yet.

LOL it is at the shop as i type now, but i am currently having some transmission issues that are delaying the process. I had to pull the transmission because after driving with around 1100 miles on the PMP built transmission it is whining VERY loud, and it has begun to chatter loudly as well. I sent the transmission back to PMP and this is the second input shaft/cluster i have burned up in 2000 miles on the car, im getting pissed. Drive angle is spot on, for the life of me i cant figure out WTF is causing these race built 26 spline input shafts to burn up. Im going to start another thread to see if anyone has any ideas. Damn input shafts and clusters aren't cheap to replace! Its always something with these cars. Wally at PMP has mentioned a few good ideas, check for a new thread regarding my transmission issues so i can go more in depth there.

^^ lol with the power he's making it's already insane.. I don't even run my 93 octane tune here in AL.. I'm only on 18 degrees of timing and can run 20.. There is just no need for it when you're faster than like 95% of the cars on the road lol. :beer:

theres always a desire for more power, but you are right to say it is already insane at 14 PSI, to say its fast enough would be incorrect, the desire for more speed will always make me push it, ill have new numbers for you guys soon once i sort the last of my issues with the car out.

Users who are viewing this thread