2.93 to 2.76 swap - timing and a/f question

slow98cobra

Established Member
Hey everyone,

It’s winter, I’m bored, and I have the parts in my bin so decided I’m going to swap my BF 2.93 over to a 2.76 ring that has been in the box for 15 years. With the 2.93, I’m currently running 21* of timing on 91 octane and showing about 12#s through my ported Eaton/TB/plenum. I’m showing WOT A/f is pretty consistent between 11.6 - 11.8 with my wideband. With a 2% add of WOT fuel I’m usually right around 11.4 - 11.6. Can add more if needed. My question is if I add a couple #s with the 2.76, how do you feel about 21* on 91? Think I should shoot for 11.5ish or would you be comfortable with a little more around 11.7ish AFR? Car is strong and makes right over 500 rwhp but from my previous Terminators, I like a little more torque early on for the street fun factor that I had with my 2.76s. For what it’s worth, running a Steeda CAI, Magnaflow catted x, Borla stingers, and have twin SVT focus pumps. Of course, already have the basics such as idlers, plugs, etc. Don’t have MAF counts readily available because of my dated Xcal2 but will check A/F using the wideband. Air is dense now being winter and if we are good now, wouldn’t be worried at all about warm summer air.

Last edited:

slow98cobra

Established Member
Also, man do I feel like some old balls around here. I’m still rocking my Arnold avatar from like 12 years ago.

01yellercobra

Established Member
What MAF are you running? I remember my stock MAF was close to pegging with just a 2.8 upper on a stock eaton. I think I was around 12psi and was running 18 degrees of timing. But I tune on the conservative side.

slow98cobra

Established Member
Currently stock MAF. Previous owner said it was still good with the 2.93 but fuel was starting to run out hence the SVT focus pumps. I have a MAFia sitting in a box but don’t want to add it if i don’t have to because that would require a full retune if setting it to setting 2 or above. I’m sure my Xcal 2 is no longer supported. Honestly, I’m sure the MAF is close to getting maxed but wasn’t sure if I could pick that up with a wideband log.

01yellercobra

Established Member
You won't pick it up with a wideband. You need to datalog to see MAF counts. If any of your friends have a newer hand held you can log with that.

slow98cobra

Established Member
Sounds good. With the cool temps, I was hoping I could spot it as a sudden A/F change with my wideband logs while watching for the warning light on my gauge. I’m all for buying a new xcal 4 so I can have everything on one handheld but is there anyway to transfer my custom tune from my xcal 2 to the 4? I have sent SCT messages but never got a response. Unfortunately the tuner that worked on the car originally back in 2007ish is no longer around to get a copy of that file.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
You should be able to data log with a laptop and live link.

slow98cobra

Established Member
Would you by chance have a link to the order version of live link? I tried the live link II on my Laptop but I can’t get the program to recognize my xcal 2. I then thought I needed a firmware update but that too doesn’t recognize my device and I’m honestly a little worried about losing the tune file. It’s been a couple months but was never able to get ahold of SCT on the phone or messages. I think they were slammed or were running short staff due to COVID

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Would you by chance have a link to the order version of live link? I tried the live link II on my Laptop but I can’t get the program to recognize my xcal 2. I then thought I needed a firmware update but that too doesn’t recognize my device and I’m honestly a little worried about losing the tune file. It’s been a couple months but was never able to get ahold of SCT on the phone or messages. I think they were slammed or were running short staff due to COVID

Im actually surprised, its been a while since i have used it. But live link ll worked on my xcal 2 with a windows 7 laptop on my 2008 gt500.

I have not tested on windows 8, 8.1, 10 so i can not say for sure if it works on those operating systems.

Does your laptop recognize the xcal 2? Proper drivers?

slow98cobra

Established Member
It unfortunately doesn’t recognize it at all. I tried the order of operations mentioned in another thread on here, deleted then reinstalled everything, and still can’t get it to recognize it. The device works great on the car and the tuner left most parameters unlocked so I could adjust things like WOT fuel, basic timing, axle ratios, etc. I’m sure I’m doing something wrong but I just chalked it up to a device that is no longer supported.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
It unfortunately doesn’t recognize it at all. I tried the order of operations mentioned in another thread on here, deleted then reinstalled everything, and still can’t get it to recognize it. The device works great on the car and the tuner left most parameters unlocked so I could adjust things like WOT fuel, basic timing, axle ratios, etc. I’m sure I’m doing something wrong but I just chalked it up to a device that is no longer supported.

What operating system are you running?

Are the drivers the correct one for the operating system?

01yellercobra

Established Member
The last Livelink I managed to get working with my old Xcal2 was 4.2. This was on a laptop with windows 7. I kept a copy of 4.2 just for that reason.

slow98cobra

Established Member
Yea, I’m striking out. I have tried everything from deleting, reinstalling, and no dice. I went to the device manager and tried to manually update the drivers and it doesn’t find or recognize anything. I’m running an older laptop with windows 7 premium with 64 bit. I just get the little yellow warning sign in device manager no matter what I try. Looks like Im stuck with figuring out why the PC is not recognizing the device before I even go to the next step of livelink, haha.

Last edited:

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Yea, I’m striking out. I have tried everything from deleting, reinstalling, and no dice. I went to the device manager and tried to manually update the drivers and it doesn’t find or recognize anything. I’m running an older laptop with windows 7 premium with 64 bit. I just get the little yellow warning sign in device manager no matter what I try. Looks like Im stuck with figuring out why the PC is not recognizing the device before I even go to the next step of livelink, haha.
How to Manually Install Drivers

Derive — Device Not Recognized While Connected to the Computer?

I have Windows 7 / 8.1 / 10 and I am having a driver error or my computer wont recognize my device

Not sure if this will help but its worth a shot.

Last edited:

01yellercobra

Established Member
I think the Xcal2's are just too old. That's why I mentioned if you have a friend with an X3 see if you can borrow it.

slow98cobra

Established Member
Alright, super stoked! I downloaded livelink 6.5 from that link above and after deleting anything sct related from my laptop, I was able to get my xcal 2 to connect. I then played with it for a while and was able to get it to read my car! I will be able to use it for data logging. Super excited!

Thank you both for your help!

01yellercobra

Established Member
Sweet. If you have a wideband (and you should) make sure you have it hooked into the Xcal2 as well.

slow98cobra

Established Member
I do! It’s a dynojet wideband commander. I know how to data log with that separately but tying the two together will be ideal! Going to have to figure all of that out now.

Users who are viewing this thread