2000 Cobra R on Barrett-Jackson

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
I think the 95Rs in time will show the same trend.... the ragged out, wrecked, repainted blah blah blah race history cars in less than pristine condition will far exceed the garage queen wrapper cars, because they have a history. Right now all people see is the pretty perfect car sitting in their garage , when one day that old beater race car they passed up will surpass their prized posession. I still sorta regret not buying the "Rosie's Dinner 95R" (for $20k)when it was still in as raced condition, before the "Joker" bought it and made it a "Joker".... I think that 95R will someday be worth money in comparison to "wrapper" cars.

And that scenario is normal with most any car that has a race history with a select few.

"What makes mine special?" The story behind it. It was wrecked. It blew a motor at Daytona. It was in XX many races.

That, compared to--Yes, it is a rare car and it has been in storage for many years. Or, it has just seen street only miles.

Buyers want patina, provenance and character.

Tom

cobrakidz

High mileage R
Established Member
If I can't drive my cars I don't want to own them. The exciting part is the drive, not looking at it in the garage. I don't have an "R" yet but I do have a 1967 T5 fastback(German export mustang), 1 of 16 known to exist--I drive the heck out of it and love every minute of it.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
But did anyone notice how the bidding on #2 died.........

at $40K, and then a carrot had to be thrown out to start the bidding again........#2 stopped at $40K, then the SVT guys and B-J announcers scrambled to throw a carrot, "1st title, Ford owned since new, etc." after that the bidding started again................then the stop at $50K and another carrot, "SEMA, yes SEMA, this 00R can appear at SEMA", only after the second carrot was dangled did #2 accelerate into the bigger numbers.

Now, if the current/new owner puts this same #2 up for sale, without the fact that the newer owner is buying the car directly from Ford, or the option to get this 00R into the Ford display at SEMA, would it still do $60K?

R

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
Now, if the current/new owner puts this same #2 up for sale, without the fact that the newer owner is buying the car directly from Ford, or the option to get this 00R into the Ford display at SEMA, would it still do $60K?

I don't have a clue. Personally, I wouldn't pay to ship my car to SEMA to have it on display.

I still don't understand the price premium (~50%) since its the first car issued to the public. Is the second car worth a 25% premium? The third 10%?

I found a great way to watch B-J. I recorded it and then watched it while skipping the commercials and the cars that I had no interest in (who cares if a customized pro street Camaro sells for $30K?). Not once did the "second one built" get a premium. Most prices I understood. A nicely restored Shelby with paperwork, and in the registry, should bring a strong bid. Many cars (and trucks) sold for less than it costs to restore them.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
I don't have a clue. Personally, I wouldn't pay to ship my car to SEMA to have it on display.

I still don't understand the price premium (~50%) since its the first car issued to the public. Is the second car worth a 25% premium? The third 10%?

I found a great way to watch B-J. I recorded it and then watched it while skipping the commercials and the cars that I had no interest in (who cares if a customized pro street Camaro sells for $30K?). Not once did the "second one built" get a premium. Most prices I understood. A nicely restored Shelby with paperwork, and in the registry, should bring a strong bid. Many cars (and trucks) sold for less than it costs to restore them.

I agree^^^^, and what desirable history does this #2 car have? Flogged by people/Ford employees who know that "it's a company car", repainted, "very hard use" as mentioned during the auction discription.......It is a race car with no race history. Stories/history is great, but "WOW, we really beat on that car", Great history/story?

The people who bought this #2 00R also bought a few other cars. I watched the auctions most all of Friday, they spent alot of $$$. Many of the cars they bought were discribed "well sold", not "well bought" at the end of each auction. #2 was a "fantacy car", #296 was not even shown during its auction.

On the other side, #296 was a $$$ disappointment, (especially since the auction was during a commercial break) but in this current market and the mass availability of nice 2000 Cobra R's for sale, it was not a surprise.

R

93SVTCobra

Established Member

I've been watching it this way for the last few years now. I can get through the entire Fri-Sun auction is about 2 hours. If you have a computer handy you can just fast forward tho the auction numbers that you are interested in and skip all the crap.

SpectorV

Established Member
Ford had #1 of all three cobra 'rs at the 45th anniversary last april. I have pics. It says 1 of 300... so unless ford was trying to pull a fast one they still have it. It was way up high on a display so no way you could read a vin on it.

Users who are viewing this thread