2000 Cobra R on Barrett-Jackson

cobra186

Stang Trader
Established Member
#2 was hammered down at $60K..... which means I win the prize for that SVT fantasy bid LOL! Now whats my prize???

slider701

Established Member
A close study (well not even a close study), but a quick glance under the hood of #2 shows that there are rusty items. Quick indicators of these cars not being stored properly, rusty discs/plates on top of the front struts, rusty bolts that hold the p/s reservoir to the bracket, rusty alt. and p/s shaft, and we have not looked under the car yet. I would also guess that the aluminum engine accessory bracket and alt. housing are white power/chalky oxidized. These items are going to need attention soon, and some may be pitted to the point of needing replacement already, and like I said, we have not looked underneath. Yes #2 has the history, but I seriously doubt that it would move straight from the B-J auction to a museum spot given its current condition. So the question is.......how much to pay for a 9-10 year old 2000 Cobra R that in reality will need some disassembly and restoration so early in life? And then there is the prestine (properly stored) example with no history or miles for a comparision.

I would not have expected #2 to be stored properly, but, in addition to the history, the wise bidder(s) are going to weigh the "additional" costs of making this a nice example once again. If left alone, it will only deteriorate more.

I have seen other 2000R's on eBay that were in worse rust/oxidized condition under the hood. This #2 is not as bad a some 00R's, even 00R's with very few miles, the issue is........proper storage, not necessarily miles or use.

R

Cobra R # 2 lived a hard life..........many, many marketing and engineering test miles, including a test session at Grattan where it ended up in a gravel trap:

Still a good piece of history for someone to buy.

SnakeBit 50

Bitten by the Beast
Established Member
A little disappointed at the $43k for a 100 mile wrapper!

I didn't care too much about #2 - - - and was instead focusing upon the sale price of #296.

Well, we can add 10% B-J commission and the car truly went for $47,300!

Right?

Just wish the final hammer would have dropped at $50k+ for the 100 mile car!

any thoughts?

cobra186

Stang Trader
Established Member
A little disappointed at the $43k for a 100 mile wrapper!

I didn't care too much about #2 - - - and was instead focusing upon the sale price of #296.

Well, we can add 10% B-J commission and the car truly went for $47,300!

Right?

Just wish the final hammer would have dropped at $50k+ for the 100 mile car!

any thoughts?

Or you can think about the hammer price of $43K minus the 8% seller fee ($3440) leaving the seller a measley $39,560.. not including the consignment fee and transportation cost. The seller probably only ended up with about $38k out of his "wrapper" '00R. I would have gladly given him $40k and stuck it on ebay for a quick profit with minimal effort.

When you take a car to an auction such as BJ.... the car in theory has to bring 15% more than its value in a private sale for the seller to come out. THEN the buyer needs to buy the car for 15% less than its value in a private sale to come out...so in most cases the auction is a loss-loss for both sides.

Even the buyer of '00R #296 did not really come out good by buying the car cheap at $43k... add the 10% buyers premium, transportation and taxes... the car is then close to $50K which they can be found at just about anytime for that price.

R-CODE

Established Member
That was a great buy on #296, is it possible to find another wrapper '00R for that price in the real world.....

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
#2 was hammered down at $60K..... which means I win the prize for that SVT fantasy bid LOL! Now whats my prize???
You hit it on the nail. Brian was closest on the wrapper car (he guessed $45K) and was second closest on #296. So, Brian gets the prize. :shrug:

I wonder if the guy that bought the #2 00R knew about the Grattan and/or the gravel trap? Maybe we should send him a picture? :-D Nonetheless, the car with the story set a $66K benchmark.

The wrapper car did set a benchmark for a very low mileage car. They are worth $47K. I thought it would do better with the cameras rolling and free drinks flowing.

Brian's prize (pick it up at Bruce's house ;-) ):
jack.jpg

svttim

MCA National Director
Established Member
I dont own an R but would give a body appendage to. Several things have hurt the R IMHO. One is the newer faster cars, the Terminators and the new Shelby's. Now I say that tounge in cheek because I know on trak, I would tak an R over either. Of course, the economy sucks for anything but absolute rare cars. I think this is where 002 surpassed the wrapper car, gravel trap and all. One thing Im nt sure of, personally, I wouldnt want a wrapper car. I want to drive it and I wouldnt spend the money on something with low miles becasue it wouldnt stay that way. That car was made to be driven!

Powershift03

Clapped out race car
Established Member
One thing Im nt sure of, personally, I wouldnt want a wrapper car. I want to drive it and I wouldnt spend the money on something with low miles becasue it wouldnt stay that way. That car was made to be driven!

Same conclusion I came to in my search for an R. I also began to really like the idea of having an R with a "history" to it. When I spotted Andy's old R for sale.. I knew it would be the perfect car for me. I would think the "gravel trap R" history is also attractive for the same reasons.

Last edited:

cobra186

Stang Trader
Established Member
I think this was the perfect example of "history" surpassing "garage queen/wrapper" in value.

With the #2 car.... it has a history & story to go along with it. Yes it was not treated nicely at times, it had a repainted etcetc.... BUT it is lowest available production #, it was driven by all sorts of "big wigs" & media types, it was owned by Ford for years. There is only one '00R with that history & story.

With the #296 car you have a wrapper car that was sold to a regular John Doe, who stored it in his garage for a few years (how boring)..... just like probably 50-75 other '00R have been done. So #296 in theory can easily be replaced as its just another low mile '00R.

I think the 95Rs in time will show the same trend.... the ragged out, wrecked, repainted blah blah blah race history cars in less than pristine condition will far exceed the garage queen wrapper cars, because they have a history. Right now all people see is the pretty perfect car sitting in their garage , when one day that old beater race car they passed up will surpass their prized posession. I still sorta regret not buying the "Rosie's Dinner 95R" (for $20k)when it was still in as raced condition, before the "Joker" bought it and made it a "Joker".... I think that 95R will someday be worth money in comparison to "wrapper" cars.

CGoeschel

Established Member
I saw both in person at the auction. The repaint on #2 was very good. #296 looked great as well but I did notice several "factory" paint bubbles on the hood and an explanation that the owner chose not to have it repainted to preserve its "original" status. Do most of the 2000R's have paint bubbles on the hood because of the fiberglass?

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
I saw both in person at the auction. The repaint on #2 was very good. #296 looked great as well but I did notice several "factory" paint bubbles on the hood and an explanation that the owner chose not to have it repainted to preserve its "original" status. Do most of the 2000R's have paint bubbles on the hood because of the fiberglass?

Yes, I was under the impression that is was limited to the first 100 cars, but have since heard of sporadic cars throughout the 300 with bubbles.

I had my hood refinished twice, and they came back each time :cuss:

Finally bought a new replica hood this summer and had it painted and installed, much better now. :rockon:

cobra186

Stang Trader
Established Member
Do most of the 2000R's have paint bubbles on the hood because of the fiberglass?

I would not say "most" ... a better term would be some had issues with the paint bubbling in the hood. If I had to guess from what I have seen over the years that only about 25% seemed to have the issue.

Users who are viewing this thread