2000 Ford Lightning, basic upkeep going backwards ....?

RIO RED SNAKE

4:10's = The Suck
Established Member
Hi guys, finally got a Lightning, its a Silver 2000 with a whopping 245k miles, i bought it with 243k, it has been a great truck in the past 2 weeks i have owned it. However,

When i bought the truck the check engine light was on for Catalyst below efficiency threshold bank 1 and bank 2, so i cleared the codes and it went away for a long time, about 800 miles later it came back on. So it needs new cats not a big deal. The main concern is

It always had a small studder/break up if cruising on the highway ud get a random duhh for a split second. So i changed the spark plugs and the old ones were NGK spark plugs (tr6) and i replaced the new ones with those. The old plugs were gapped at .050 and i gapped the new ones at .035 because i thought the .05 was just too much. Replaced the coil packs as well with some ones off amazon (box says made in china) and now change, the studder has now become worse.

I also have a check engine light for system too lean. Could i have a bad injector?

MODS are Metco 4# lower, Longtubes with High flow cats and magnaflow catback, k&n intake, and motoblue idlers.

Let me know what you guys think, original motor trans etc at 245k miles. under acceleration off stop lights it doesnt really hiccup until i settle into OD or light throttle cruising. It ran better before i did the plugs at coil packs.

I am trying to maintain and do things the previous owner did a long time ago to make the truck continue to run forever and it seems to just backfire on me.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
ya, stick with ford/motorcraft coils, everything else is pretty much garbage.

what is the specific lean code youre getting? If its both banks lean you likely have a vacuum leak (check the obvious stuff, if thats not it you get to check the hose coming off the back off the turkey pan, loads of fun).

RIO RED SNAKE

Established Member
Ok I'll try Motorcraft coil packs. And yes says lean on bank one and 2 so I must have a vac leak somewhere then. I'll Google it but can I ask what the turkey pan is lol?

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
check all your other connections first,there are some on the air intake after the maf and several around the blower. Turkey pan is just the big lower intake the intercooler sits in. Supposedly you can get to that hose with the blower still on but if you havent cleaned the IC in a while might be time to yank the blower, check that hose, clean the intercooler, do plugs and coils

RIO RED SNAKE

Established Member
Ok i will do that, i did new rear shocks last night and did the navigator fuel filter upgrade, the truck is running a little better and doesnt stumble as mucvh at idle and then under 1/4 and light light throttle it misfires again but lay into it a little more and it completely goes away until i let off and it burbles... i definitely think its running rich as the exhaust fumes will burn your eyes.. but slowly working on it. thanks again

Users who are viewing this thread