2003 Cobra coupe, 4k mi, near stock, orig owner, $25.9k

HomeboyNorm

Established Member
Wow. Yellow is not my color but the deal like this could sway my tastes. I will be looking for one as well when I get back stateside.

Thank you for your support Norm! Good luck with the sale.

BTW Does it still have the warranty?

Jeff

Hey Jeff,

Yellow wasn't my favorite either, but I went with it anyway. It was the last '03 coupe on lot at the time, and the other coupe they had was the '04 Mystichrome in the showroom. They wanted $10k on top of MSRP for that one, so I chose the yellow one. $5k higher MSRP because of the paint option plus the ADM of $10k meant $15k difference for the color alone. It was too rich for my budget.

It is a color that does have to grow on you like how it did with me. I've grown to like it a lot, more so than all of my previous black vehicles, including the black '99 Cobra I traded in for it. It's a lot easier to keep clean, and does get a lot of comments from people who see it in person. Yellow screams, "Muscle car", although many prefer the '04 Screaming Yellow. I'm the type that appreciates the car for what it is, and not what color is on it. The only exceptions would be either Pink or Purple. :lol1: Yellow '03 > '99 is what made the decision easier for me. :-D

No, it doesn't have any warranty left, because I didn't buy any extended warranty on top of the factory 3/36 warranty. I've never used the factory warranty either for it has never gone back to the dealership since I took it home. I do my own oil changes myself.

Thanks for your military service, and be safe over there in Iraq! :beer:

My96z

Established Member
I understand. I think it could grow on me as well. If I was stateside and had my camaro parted out and ready to buy I would be all over yours. God knows I have driven cars for reasons other than thier looks. My van looks like @$$ but, its a blast to drive and practical.

Is the deal still on with the other military person?

Iraq isnt that bad this time around. Really boring these days, havent yet had to fire a single shot in anger in 8 months so far, but thats a good thing, I am ready to go home and leave this place behind me as are most others.

Last edited:

HomeboyNorm

Established Member
I doubt that the deal is still on with this other guy because he told me in his latest communication that things weren't looking good. He hasn't replied yet when I asked whether it's off or not. I might be wrong, but I assume it is off based on his most recent message. I waited three weeks before I bumped this thread to the top, because I thought he was going to buy. He contacted me when he was in Iraq some weeks ago, but he is now back home. I wanted to give him some time considering the circumstances with being in Iraq. I guess at this point of time whoever gets the cash to me first will get it, since no body has left a deposit with me for my car. It's not officially on hold for any one at the time being. I'm glad Iraq isn't that bad this time around for you as well as the others. When are you due to come back home?

PS: Your turbo van = Interesting sleeper! :-D I remember an article about a 10 or 11 sec. Chrysler/Dodge turbo van.

Last edited by a moderator:

My96z

Established Member
I see. Maybe when he got back home things changed.

I am not due to come home till December. Seems like a long way away still. I am due to go home on leave in August, and I cant wait for that!

The van is a blast. It is the ultimate sleeper. The cops do not even look at me. I have caught many a unsuspecting mustang, camaro, trans ams ect. I built it to destroy the rice out there. I cant help but laugh every time I beat somone cause of the look on thier faces. The crowds and the announcer all love me at the local strip, and if somone beats me, well they only beat a mini-van, let them go brag about that! lol Its really practical, I can haul stuff, sleep in the back, it gets 28-30 MPG and runs a 14.0. I have a ported head with bigger valves for it thats coming so that should drop considerably. Matter of fact I went to the track with a buddy of mine who had a sharp 03 Cobra and I had a crowd gathered around the van he said "This is messed up, you have you have a beat up mini-van and I have a Cobra and you would pull more chicks here than me!" There are a few out there running 11's and maybe one or two in the 10's, and its all on a old 2.5 4 cyl with a 8 valve head, 3 spd auto.

My wife told me that I can get a new camaro ss if I sold my old one and she is trying to get me to get rid of my van. (she is sick of me dumping money into older stuff) So I was looking at the new camaro. I can get one for a good deal as my grandmother retired from GM. The more I read about them, the more I didnt like. So I started to look at a used GT 500 but the payment would be pretty high even higher than a new camaro ss. So I started to look at these 03/04 Cobras and I love them. Plus the payment would be about $200 less. So when I get back I have to part out my camaro and hopefully not my van.
I will then be shopping for a Terminator using the part out money and the money I have saved up here and get a smaller loan for the difference I dont have.

Whew, that was a bit long winded.

Last edited:

Kn38ms

Glockaholic...
Established Member
I was very interested in this car until I calculated the import fees
to bring her back into TX. That would've made it too pricey for me.
AZ guys have it made. (no import fees)
The color is decent but the condition and history well make up for it.
The good ones are getting harder to find. Buy it

Last edited:

HomeboyNorm

Established Member
I was very interested in this car until I calculated the import fees
to bring her back into TX. That would've made it too pricey for me.
AZ guys have it made. (no import fees)
The color is decent but the condition and history well make up for it.
The good ones are getting harder to find. Buy it

Import fees on vehicles bought within the US is news to me, but that's interesting. I learn something new everyday. I once bought a car from Atlanta, GA, and brought it to Tampa, FL. The thing is it was probably about 10 years ago, so I don't remember if I paid any import fees. As you stated, it varies from state to state, so it could have been that we don't have such fees. Also, it could have been changed and added since then. It's something I will have to google up and see what I can learn more about.

You are correct how the Zinc Yellow color here is really decent because it still screams "Muscle car" nonetheless. It gets a lot of attention no problem, and even a Zinc Yellow Cobra made the August 2009 cover of Car Craft magazine. It's on the cover of "Iron Fist, Lead Foot" book as well. If mine doesn't go and stay as mint as is over the years, then it will probably make the cover of year 2020 Mustang magazines as one of the last unpullied and untuned Terminators left, ha ha!.. :lol1::-D

August 2009 Car Craft Magazine:

Iron Fist, Lead Foot book:

Thanks for your comments about how condition and history should well make up for the color. I am surprised it has not gone yet on this website. I will probably request for this thread to be either closed and/or deleted soon to put this up some where else if I don't keep it instead. I paid $35,000 for it no problem, and I would do it all over again if I had one less member in the household. You are correct it is still a great car.

PS: Your black '01 Cobra in your sig look great! 3,xxx miles? Wow, that's low!! :thumbsup:

HomeboyNorm

Established Member
I see. Maybe when he got back home things changed.

I am not due to come home till December. Seems like a long way away still. I am due to go home on leave in August, and I cant wait for that!

The van is a blast. It is the ultimate sleeper. The cops do not even look at me. I have caught many a unsuspecting mustang, camaro, trans ams ect. I built it to destroy the rice out there. I cant help but laugh every time I beat somone cause of the look on thier faces. The crowds and the announcer all love me at the local strip, and if somone beats me, well they only beat a mini-van, let them go brag about that! lol Its really practical, I can haul stuff, sleep in the back, it gets 28-30 MPG and runs a 14.0. I have a ported head with bigger valves for it thats coming so that should drop considerably. Matter of fact I went to the track with a buddy of mine who had a sharp 03 Cobra and I had a crowd gathered around the van he said "This is messed up, you have you have a beat up mini-van and I have a Cobra and you would pull more chicks here than me!" There are a few out there running 11's and maybe one or two in the 10's, and its all on a old 2.5 4 cyl with a 8 valve head, 3 spd auto.

My wife told me that I can get a new camaro ss if I sold my old one and she is trying to get me to get rid of my van. (she is sick of me dumping money into older stuff) So I was looking at the new camaro. I can get one for a good deal as my grandmother retired from GM. The more I read about them, the more I didnt like. So I started to look at a used GT 500 but the payment would be pretty high even higher than a new camaro ss. So I started to look at these 03/04 Cobras and I love them. Plus the payment would be about $200 less. So when I get back I have to part out my camaro and hopefully not my van.
I will then be shopping for a Terminator using the part out money and the money I have saved up here and get a smaller loan for the difference I dont have.

Whew, that was a bit long winded.

Hey My96z,

No, it wasn't all that long winded for me to read! I can be worse with some of my posts any way, :lol1: I bet you can't wait for your leave in August. Hey, it's only around the corner now being a month away! :-D

I can respect how much of a sleeper your van is, since I also own some sort of a sleeper in my '89 Taurus SHO. My SHO isn't as much of an ultimate sleeper that your van is though. You don't have ground effects, etc, and no body would think twice about a Caravan! Your new ported head with the enlarged valves should help knock some time off your ET for sure. It's the same thing with my wife wanting me to get rid of my Taurus, but she knows I like it anyway. It is more a personal toy that I mess around with verus taking the whole family out in it. It is mostly a work car which I use when I am by myself, and a something I tweak with on the side. We have our SUV for the family outings, so I'm alright here.

I like how the new Camaro SS look on the outside, but I hate the interior part. I don't know why, it just has not grown on me yet, maybe it would change if I test drove one. I don't have a reason to test drive one though. My wife's grandfather retired from GM also, so I know what you mean about the good deal part. I wonder if the new GM company out of bankruptcy will still honor the retiree pricing program? Anyway, it's your money, so it's up to you what new car you want to buy in the future. I agree how new cars are crazy expensive today. I think I won't be picking up another brand new car any time soon unless it is a year old after the initial depreciation hit has already taken place or if I am buying a new car to keep for a long time. If you are going to buy a Terminator, be sure to find one as mint as you can if you are going to pay some good money for it, or to do a compression test on the modified ones if you feel unsure about them.

Again, thanks for what you do for us, and be safe over there! August is going to come by in no time for you. :beer:

My96z

Established Member
My leave got bumped up to Jul 20th! Yippie!!

Well your yellow one is growing on me already! I have found a few nice ones around me in Texas, and one nice mystichrome in Michigan near where I am originally from, close to my parents. Its kind of redundant to be looking at them now when I cant really buy, but I am at least educating myself on them and getting a good feel of the market.

I seen in a earlier post that you have family in Austin, Tx? Thats about 45 min away from me. Once I get back and am ready to buy a cobra, I will definatley check on the status of yours. Be cool if you could drive it out and fly back, I could even show you around the base. I do hope for your sake that you have sold it by then.

Last edited:

03COBRA-88

Established Member
I don't know how this cobra still for sale. $25,900 with 4,000 miles. I've seen modified cobras with miles in the teens go for more than this.

HomeboyNorm

Established Member
My leave got bumped up to Jun 20th! Yippie!!

Well your yellow one is growing on me already! I have found a few nice ones around me in Texas, and one nice mystichrome in Michigan near where I am originally from, close to my parents. Its kind of redundant to be looking at them now when I cant really buy, but I am at least educating myself on them and getting a good feel of the market.

I seen in a earlier post that you have family in Austin, Tx? Thats about 45 min away from me. Once I get back and am ready to buy a cobra, I will definatley check on the status of yours. Be cool if you could drive it out and fly back, I could even show you around the base. I do hope for your sake that you have sold it by then.

Hey there,

You mean you're already home now? June 20th is last month. :lol1::lol1: Just kidding man, July 20th is only a few days away, so the news of date change must be awesome for you!! How long do you get for your leave to be home with your family? I am originally from Ohio, and my wife is from Michigan. We moved down when we were very young, but we do still have some family up there. :thumbsup:

It is always a good idea to educate yourself about the cars you are interested in, so it's no problem if this is kind of redundant right now. This thread has been up on here forever anyway. It took me like a year before I decided to buy this one in early '04. I had a '99, so I was doing the same thing then as what you are doing right now. What sold me was the test drive with this thing, so I know now I would probably have bought earlier had I test drove one sooner. Sure, I am biased about the yellow now, but I wonder if I would have of chosen another color had I decided sooner when there were more '03's on the lot in '03 instead of early '04. I think for some reason I would still choose the same color because it stands out from the rest in a crowd.

If you haven't seen this site already, then you should check out this '03-'04 Cobra FAQ website by "CobraBob" who is a member on this website. Awesome website full of information on these cars, so this will be informative for someone like you, a potential future Terminator owner..

Terminator FAQs

Yes, I do have an older brother who live out in Austin, TX with his wife. I haven't been to his place, so that's why I threw it out some where earlier in this thread. Sure, I could drive it there to drop it off, and fly home. Base visit would be awesome, and not to mention some time with my brother also who I don't get to see much. I have an Excursion, so another option if necessary can be an arrangement of some sort for me to tow the car there, and drive back with my truck. Lastly, of course always the option to fly in, and drive home if you are able to and prefer to do it that way.

HomeboyNorm

Established Member
I don't know how this cobra still for sale. $25,900 with 4,000 miles. I've seen modified cobras with miles in the teens go for more than this.

I agree. It must be much hatred towards the color of our cars. :lol1::lol: Just kidding.

It is probably because I have not advertised this car anywhere other than here. Oddly enough, I've never sold a car through any website, but always through Autotrader and/or local newspaper in the past. I have a feeling if I put this on Ebay under my 100% feedback user name that I will get bids from potential cash buyers. How much is a good question as I won't find out unless I list it there.

I know I need to sell it sooner or later because this does not get driven much at all, and I don't make the money I once did. It's almost silly to keep this for it to just sit and age away. It is really the kind of a car that begs to be driven. I might be lucky to get in 30 years what I paid for it, but then again the costs of registration, insurance, storage, etc. over the years will put me further into the red before I might see the value climb back up to MSRP or beyond. That is if gasoline will still be around then, ha ha. If for some reason I get back into a job that pay me what I once made, then I might just stash this car away and call it a collector item.

03COBRA-88

Established Member
I think if you did advertise on like autotrader, cars.com, or ebay you'd get plenty of action on it. I would not lower your price a penny more. If I didn't have my cobra, yours would be on a transporter being shipped to me. When I look at your car it makes me think mine has to many miles on it :nonono:. Does anybody know the manheim auto auction up in lancaster PA? 2 months ago I watched a dealer pay $24,900 for a DSG cobra with 4,000 miles on it and this a dealer that thinks is going to take the car back to his place and try and make a profit on that :dw:

HomeboyNorm

Established Member
I think if you did advertise on like autotrader, cars.com, or ebay you'd get plenty of action on it. I would not lower your price a penny more. If I didn't have my cobra, yours would be on a transporter being shipped to me. When I look at your car it makes me think mine has to many miles on it :nonono:. Does anybody know the manheim auto auction up in lancaster PA? 2 months ago I watched a dealer pay $24,900 for a DSG cobra with 4,000 miles on it and this a dealer that thinks is going to take the car back to his place and try and make a profit on that :dw:

I agree about more action over on Autotrader and/or Ebay.com, so I think I will list my Cobra on either site if not both soon.

Thanks for your nice comments, and your car is still nice regardless of the mileage. It seems to me that you take good care of it! :beer:

Kn38ms

Glockaholic...
Established Member
Autotrader gets tons of exposure.
I look all the time (at Termi's) and I'm not even buying now.
She will sell there.

Awesome 03' :beer:

03COBRA-88

Established Member
I agree about more action over on Autotrader and/or Ebay.com, so I think I will list my Cobra on either site if not both soon.

Thanks for your nice comments, and your car is still nice regardless of the mileage. It seems to me that you take good care of it! :beer:

No problem man. GLWS :beer: I do take extreme care of my cobra. It's my dream car and now I own it. It has 15,000 miles on it and people think I'm nuts when I say I think the mileage is alittle high :eek:

im4darush

Established Member
Saw and drove this car guys. Brand new car in every way. I dont think one in better shape could be found. If anyone is looking for a brand new 03, this is it.

Users who are viewing this thread