2004 Cobra - Good Deal?

Fox 5.0

Established Member
Thanks again for more great replies. Waiting on more photos because as you can all see I don’t know exactly what he’s talking about with the pulley situation. I’m also new to supercharged cars, I’ve never owned one so I’m not 100% familiar with the terminology on what pulley is doing what lol. That’s something I need to start familiarizing myself with. Once he sends engine bay photos hopefully that’ll clear some of this up.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
smaller upper and/or bigger crank pulley make more boost

I believe there were some people that would run a slightly smaller upper with no tune since the cars were so fat from Ford. Maybe different parts of CA are different but from a few things I've seen sounds like the smaller blower pulley wouldn't pass the visual.

phil a

Established Member
Fox 5.0…. Sounds familiar
Are you the guy whose intake manifold I swapped in my parents driveway probably 20yrs ago? If not, disregard lol

q6543

Established Member
I actually DON’T think it’s a good deal… at all.

I think he is trying to take advantage of a family member… have him put it on the market or list it on eBay.

I think you’ll find $25k is NOT market value for a 65k mile vert… no matter how nice.

I wouldn’t even seriously entertain more than 22k tops

phil a

Established Member
In Elk Grove on a green 95GT? A trick flow street heat manifold??
Hahaha, well yeah down south sac. Definitely the right manifold but I thought it was a red foxbody. The middle bolts were missing I think….
Either way small world!
Phil

Fox 5.0

Established Member
Hahaha, well yeah down south sac. Definitely the right manifold but I thought it was a red foxbody. The middle bolts were missing I think….
Either way small world!
Phil
It had to have been a dark green 95GT as I didn’t buy my red fox body until I left for college after that. But yes it was missing some bolts and I actually broke down on the way home haha! I did have a red fox body so I’m sure that was me but maybe I’ve posted a lot since then about that fox body. I only had the 95GT for a couple years. Ended up totaling it when I hit a deer on the 80 freeway driving up to Reno.

To q6543, I’ll dig deeper on what I can find and do a bit of an analysis, from my brief research it did seem reasonable but I’ll look specifically for verts. I wasn’t aware there was such a price discrepancy between coupes and verts.

LS WUT

Established Member
It had to have been a dark green 95GT as I didn’t buy my red fox body until I left for college after that. But yes it was missing some bolts and I actually broke down on the way home haha! I did have a red fox body so I’m sure that was me but maybe I’ve posted a lot since then about that fox body. I only had the 95GT for a couple years. Ended up totaling it when I hit a deer on the 80 freeway driving up to Reno.

To q6543, I’ll dig deeper on what I can find and do a bit of an analysis, from my brief research it did seem reasonable but I’ll look specifically for verts. I wasn’t aware there was such a price discrepancy between coupes and verts.
Big facts man. Verts never bring the same money as coupes bud.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
In your earlier post you said, "Also, as much as i'd like to be wrenching on a car like I did with my Fox Body (put like $15k into that one). I have a family now and time is limited so the idea of some good power and good drivability without having to do a ton of work sounds nice." Realize you're thinking of buying an almost 20 year old car. Maintenance is gonna happen. Parts are going to wear out or fail. Browse through enough Terminator related threads and you'll quickly see that driving a 2003 or 2004 Cobra is not like driving most newer car.

I agree what others have said about your uncle's price being high for those miles. Also, I know he's a relative, but don't short-cut the common sense things to do check and ask about. Pretend he's a complete stranger and check everything you should check. Ask all the questions you should ask. Heck, get the car to a local shop and have it check mechanically. Seriously. You're potentially going to be handing over a lot of money. Don't be the guy who after the sale with a friend/relative regrets he overlooked too much because he knew the seller.

Check it it, ask questions, and figure a price you believe the car is worth in the present market (for a 65K mile convertible). The color, too, is not a preferred color, so IMO that affects the price, too. But it's YOUR money so you'll have to decide in the end IF you really want it and HOW MUCH you're okay paying.

robvas

Established Member
In your earlier post you said, "Also, as much as i'd like to be wrenching on a car like I did with my Fox Body (put like $15k into that one). I have a family now and time is limited so the idea of some good power and good drivability without having to do a ton of work sounds nice." Realize you're thinking of buying an almost 20 year old car. Maintenance is gonna happen. Parts are going to wear out or fail. Browse through enough Terminator related threads and you'll quickly see that driving a 2003 or 2004 Cobra is not like driving most newer car.

I agree what others have said about your uncle's price being high for those miles. Also, I know he's a relative, but don't short-cut the common sense things to do check and ask about. Pretend he's a complete stranger and check everything you should check. Ask all the questions you should ask. Heck, get the car to a local shop and have it check mechanically. Seriously. You're potentially going to be handing over a lot of money.

Good advice. Whenever I buy a car and tell my wife this one has all the mods done to it already and then she wonders when the Summit and Jegs boxes come in the mail and I'm spending an hour at the parts store with the car taken apart in the garage...

Stuff just breaks and things get forgotten about after 20 years. Things leak, etc.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
LOL! Well, anyone who HAS a black Cobra would take issue with my statement. YOUR Cobra is a beauty, Dan. Hands down. Black may not be one of the most sought after colors, but truth be told, a clean, detailed black Cobra (or any car) is stunning. Am I forgiven for my transgression, Dan? LOL.

Fox 5.0

Established Member
All great points. I did do some more research and I still feel like even verts are going closer to $30k in my area (the very few Terminators even available). I'm not saying any of you are wrong and i'm not just tossing your advice out the window, but I think what my biggest concern is the comment about pricing being at a plateau or peak. I was really hoping these cars would become 'collectors' cars in the future and pricing to continue to go up.

My original original plan was to buy a beater Fox body and slowly fix it up like I did with my '90 (spent 10 years working on that one), but prices for those have shot up so much i'm already spending $10-15k on something that needs another $10-15k put into it, so I feel like i've 'missed my chance' on that idea. I was hoping not to 'miss my chance' on this 2004 before prices shot up even more (see comment above). And about my comment about not having a ton of time... that is true. But this won't be my only vehicle, if its down its down. I was planning on spending years fixing up a Fox body - a slow passion, lol. What I do know is if this one doesn't end up happening, I will buy something.

Since i've been in high school i've always had a Mustang and I've loved modding them and tinkering with them. I sold my 98 Cobra in 2015 and have been without one since so the itch is strong in me, ha ha.

I guess the point of this thread has come to fruition, you experts are making me second guess this purchase, which may be a good thing. I may be relegated to looking for a clean 94/95 GT/Cobra as I do have a soft spot for the SN95's as well and prices still seem reasonable. My daughter takes up a lot of time now (she's just over 1), so i'm prepared for any Mustang I get to take time making it my own.

PC03GT

Established Member
All great points. I did do some more research and I still feel like even verts are going closer to $30k in my area (the very few Terminators even available). I'm not saying any of you are wrong and i'm not just tossing your advice out the window, but I think what my biggest concern is the comment about pricing being at a plateau or peak. I was really hoping these cars would become 'collectors' cars in the future and pricing to continue to go up.

My original original plan was to buy a beater Fox body and slowly fix it up like I did with my '90 (spent 10 years working on that one), but prices for those have shot up so much i'm already spending $10-15k on something that needs another $10-15k put into it, so I feel like i've 'missed my chance' on that idea. I was hoping not to 'miss my chance' on this 2004 before prices shot up even more (see comment above). And about my comment about not having a ton of time... that is true. But this won't be my only vehicle, if its down its down. I was planning on spending years fixing up a Fox body - a slow passion, lol. What I do know is if this one doesn't end up happening, I will buy something.

Since i've been in high school i've always had a Mustang and I've loved modding them and tinkering with them. I sold my 98 Cobra in 2015 and have been without one since so the itch is strong in me, ha ha.

I guess the point of this thread has come to fruition, you experts are making me second guess this purchase, which may be a good thing. I may be relegated to looking for a clean 94/95 GT/Cobra as I do have a soft spot for the SN95's as well and prices still seem reasonable. My daughter takes up a lot of time now (she's just over 1), so i'm prepared for any Mustang I get to take time making it my own.
Have you ever driven a terminator? If you haven't I suggest you do before you consider buying one. The car is pretty much different from any other mustang

LS WUT

Established Member
Have you ever driven a terminator? If you haven't I suggest you do before you consider buying one. The car is pretty much different from any other mustang
I 100% agree with this statement. Even the convertibles handle a bit different than coupes.

LS WUT

Established Member
LOL! Well, anyone who HAS a black Cobra would take issue with my statement. YOUR Cobra is a beauty, Dan. Hands down. Black may not be one of the most sought after colors, but truth be told, a clean, detailed black Cobra (or any car) is stunning. Am I forgiven for my transgression, Dan? LOL.
Hah! Only kidding Bob! Believe me when I say I love many colors. Black wasn’t my go to aside from a black 10th anniversary to match my 20th anniversary GT500. I hate the fact my motorcycles are black, hellcat is black, 2 of my mustangs are black. When they’re clean though? Love me a clean black car. Thank you for the kind words!

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
That's a nice "collection" Dan. So, all total, how many cars/bikes to you now own? All of those above you presently own? I thought you "only" had the 10th Anniversary Cobra and Hellcat. LOL. (y)

Fox 5.0

Established Member
I haven't. Unfortunately I don't see any opportunity to do so either. Can you expand on what you mean? Are you referring to how the power gets put down? Handling? All of the above?

I had an engine built for my fox... 331ci all forged internals, TFS H/C/I, the works. That car was probably a low to mid 12 second car with everything else I did to it. Only guessing since I never had it dyno'd and never ran it at a track. N/A of course, however.

PC03GT

Established Member
I haven't. Unfortunately I don't see any opportunity to do so either. Can you expand on what you mean? Are you referring to how the power gets put down? Handling? All of the above?

I had an engine built for my fox... 331ci all forged internals, TFS H/C/I, the works. That car was probably a low to mid 12 second car with everything else I did to it. Only guessing since I never had it dyno'd and never ran it at a track. N/A of course, however.
Everything about the car it's just a completely different animal, and unfortunately it's not for everyone

Last edited:

LS WUT

Established Member
That's a nice "collection" Dan. So, in total, how many cars/bikes to you now own? All of those above you presently own? I thought you "only" had the 10th Anniversary Cobra and Hellcat. LOL. (y)
I call it a collections, others call it an addiction. All the same to me haha. The current stable as we speak is as follows. I still own these.
1988 foxbody notch 5.0 5 Speed
2003 OW cobra coupe
2003 Black cobra coupe
2013 Shelby GT500
2016 Hellcat Charger
2004 F250 (Bertha)
2012 Yamaha YZF-R1
2015 Triumph Rocket III Roadster

Attachments

• C1F73117-00C4-40CC-B8AD-9F850B237A4E.jpeg
    C1F73117-00C4-40CC-B8AD-9F850B237A4E.jpeg
    500.8 KB · Views: 41