2011 GT vs 2003 Cobra

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
Nice runs, but I'm confused. Probably nearly 100ft/lbs more tq with the terminator he should have jumped out on you from a roll, with that instant low end tq. Also probably a spin fest if he's starting out in 1st at 25-35mph. Heck at that speed in second I spin bad with my nitto drag radials.

100ft/lbs isn't really going to make up for the extra 300 lbs + whatever the passenger weighed.

JPB

On jack stands
Established Member
The cars have only been out a few months. Give them some time! :-D

Very true. I like the new GT. Wish I had the money to buy one as a daily driver and go all out with my Cobra. Honestly the Cobra has more power potential for less $ with it's built for boost internals and dual fuel pump system from the factory. In addition a twin screw kit for a 03/04 is thousands less than any supercharger kit for a 2011 GT. Whole reason I bought the Cobra. The less $ dollars part of the previous sentence is key because at the strip they really are wash if your talking a cost is no object build between the two. How fast will your wallet let you go kind of thing.Sure do wish I could afford a 2011 GT too though. They are more impressive to me than the Cobra's or GT500's. That is another thing that I haven't seen brought up yet. The 2011 GT's are running times equal to the GT500's which cost many thousands more than the GT (almost double). I wouldn't be surprised if you see the upcoming GT500's getting the electronic valve timing to put the gap back between the two cars. You have to give ford credit. They are very bold with this car by getting it so close to their flagship GT500.

Last edited:

assasinator

1 N the head,2 N da chest
Established Member
Man,.....I really need to stop coming into the road kill forum. The threads here just suck me in. In addition they alway vere totally off course. I'm a huge contributor of that in this thread. Therefore, to the OP; I am sorry. Nice kill. If I didn't already have my 04' and was buying one today; I'd choose the 11' over the 03/04 most likely. However, my current situation...I have way to much money into my 04 and with a $30K+ cost of the 11's. Let just say I'll be sticking with the 04.

man, i know exactly what you mean. i got the 2011GT for a fun daily driver that is decently quick. my REAL car is my turbo 96 4V GT. now that i have the 2011GT in the driveway, im pouring money into the 96 for 275 DR outlaw/nmca racing. the 2011gt will remain stock.

NA_Cobra

Established Member
Was the 458rwhp of the 03 Cobra from the dyno at Fastlane STD or SAE corrected.

The 2011 GT in the question is probably making between 420-430rwhp. The runs seem about spot on to me, however, throw a set of LTs on the 03 Cobra and run again. It'll be a different story.

Last edited:

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
Here is where I am confused.

6. 35mph roll, I took the extra rider, he started 1/2 car ahead of me, at 100mph I crept ahead of him but was still pulling him albeit at a slower rate.

So, you let a Cobra start ahead of you, not only that, but take the hit as well, and you

A. Stopped his pull
B. Pulled him pretty quickly
C. Past him by 100 MPH.....

Ok, so. Let me say this.

1. Learn how to drive ( No offense) 35 MPH is HORRIBLE to start in for an 03/04 Cobra, let alone in 1st gear. Start @ 45 in 2nd, and power shift the Cobra. Not taking anything away from the GT. Dyno numbers mean shit. Track times matter, and most of us here that have seen what a Bolt on GT runs (low-mid 12's with good driving) and what an 03.04 Cobra runs (mid 11's with good driving) something is obviously off. Anything can happen on the street.

Not sure why everyone is saying there is a few hundred pound difference between the Cobra and GT with 1 passenger. There is about a 50lb weight difference from the factory between the cars. So, unless this passenger is a big fat dude, I don't see 300+ lbs.

If that were honestly the case, then the GT was 300+ lbs more than the Cobra when the passenger still pulled them, even with a good amount of RWHP and RWTQ less.

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
FYI - If anyone read the mod list on the 2011 GT running 10's, it has DR's, Driveshaft, Weight reduction, Gears, Intake, tune, Full exuast, Suspension work, and a Supercharger.

This is not a bolt on car. Bolt on parts IMHO are parts that an average guy can install, that do not require hours of labor, retuning of the vehicle, additional supporting mods, etc.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
FYI - If anyone read the mod list on the 2011 GT running 10's, it has DR's, Driveshaft, Weight reduction, Gears, Intake, tune, Full exuast, Suspension work, and a Supercharger.

This is not a bolt on car. Bolt on parts IMHO are parts that an average guy can install, that do not require hours of labor, retuning of the vehicle, additional supporting mods, etc.

Almost ANY bolt-on, even something as simple as a CAI, should involve a re-tune of the car. :idea:

JPB

On jack stands
Established Member
Guys the owner of the cobra has already said a couple different times in this thread that his IC pump was working just fine during this race.:shrug:

You are correct. He has said that since the questions started but if you read the first few posts you'll notice they tell a different story. The OP tell the story then he comes back and said his buddies IC pump wasn't working. Then they both come back and say it wasn't working three months ago and the race was three months ago. Then the Cobra owner comes in and says the IC pump was definately working at the time of the race. See how it can be confusing. Furthermore, there are plenty of people on the internet that blatently make up stories just to get a rise out of people. I definately am not saying that IS what is going on here. I'm just saying those people cause us to be skeptical. Especially when the facts are this confusing. Sorry for the doubt. Again good kill. Also, as I've learned on the street and especially with 4v cobra's they don't all run equal. Just because that one got beaten doesn't mean the GT can beat the next one with the same mods. Conversly, just because the cobra beat the GT doesn't mean it can beat the next one. Anything can happen on the street.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
Not sure why everyone is saying there is a few hundred pound difference between the Cobra and GT with 1 passenger. There is about a 50lb weight difference from the factory between the cars. So, unless this passenger is a big fat dude, I don't see 300+ lbs.

If that were honestly the case, then the GT was 300+ lbs more than the Cobra when the passenger still pulled them, even with a good amount of RWHP and RWTQ less.

Agreed. Cobra weighs in the 36xx range, GT 3600lbs. The cobra with the given hp should've pulled on the GT as it has more torque. However in the heat of TX, it's likely the Cobra was much more affected than the NA GT.

When it was cooler(April) my GT500 went 124, last month in the heat and humidity of S. LA I only trapped 117. That's a 70rwhp loss. Run them again when it's cold outside, I bet the Cobra pulls like a mad ****.:beer:

SSmoked99

Burn that sh*t UBZ
Established Member
Those new 5.0's are sick. Go on the LS1tech and watch the vid that was just posted. 5.0 made 425rwhp and it was a dead even run or maybe a little faster than a full bolt on cammed LS1

Sliverstang

Established Member
sorry for the confusion. I think what the OP said is that we raced our cobras before he tore cobra his down and while we raced my ic pump was out.

Next time he comes to town ill be sure to tell his wife to pack his camera so he don't forget it and we can get a video of us racing again.

The reason I started in 1st is because my cobra was at around 3500 rpm and if I had started in 2nd it would had bogged a bit.

I would like to put a new belt on my cobra and try it again. Also I woundn't mind getting the tune checked in the car because the one in it came from the old owner and I don't know what it is. But money is pretty tight at the moment so it will prolly be a while before any dynos or retunes happen.

This race really happened and I (cobra) lost! Me and OP are best friends and work together and have been mustang guys every since we have knew one another. The 03/04 are my dream cars that is why I got one! I got mine he got his 3 weeks later. He had a 03 gt that blew up and burned shit outta his legs with me in the car this whole time so that is why he got the new 5.0. I think you guys are making this into somthing that is not it was just a race that we shared the results with you guys. LOL it is ok I lost but im sure there will be a rematch soon enough and we will video it.

Sliverstang

Established Member
When it was cooler(April) my GT500 went 124, last month in the heat and humidity of S. LA I only trapped 117. That's a 70rwhp loss. Run them again when it's cold outside, I bet the Cobra pulls like a mad ****.:beer:

It has been cooling down alot over here I can't wait to drive this car in really cold weather. OP's 5.0 runs close to same no matter what temp but my car is down on power big time after the first time I get on it. I put in water with water wetter and that seemed to help a bit.

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
Almost ANY bolt-on, even something as simple as a CAI, should involve a re-tune of the car. :idea:

No you don't dude.

A tune will make the best of your mods, however, IT IS NOT REQUIRED.

If you change something like Delete Plates, or Intake Spacers, etc. Then YES, a Tune. Not needed with something as simple as an intake.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
No you don't dude.

If you change something like Delete Plates, or Intake Spacers, etc. Then YES, a Tune. Not needed with something as simple as an intake.

You can do whatever you want with YOUR car. When I change ANYTHING on my car, it gets dyno'd. Doesn't matter if it's CAI, headers, cams whatever.

I remember all too well all of the Terminators that met a much too early demise with melted pistons 'back in the day' with owners not 'knowing' or not 'thinking' they needed a tune. :read::idea:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
It does bolt-on, but then it wouldn't be naturally aspirated.:shrug:

Nobody is disputing the link I provided WASN'T supercharged. :rollseyes

Clearly in the codes for mods, a supercharger is listed. :read:

This has NOTHING to do with the OP. :idea: The thread took a slight turn along the way!:coolman:

90GSXDan

Established Member
No you don't dude.

Im not going to argue this point as it is PARTIALLY correct.

But ANY car enthusiast that wants the absolutely BEST for their car and wanting it to perform at the BEST of its ability at all times, should ALWAYS retune their car, even if they added something as small as an Intake.

Sure you dont have to tune it right away if your going to be driving it like a grandma, but if your like 90% of the rest of us who enjoy demolishing the roads with our animals, then yes, it SHOULD be required to tune your car after any part that alters your AFR's is installed. Even if its something like swapping over stock fuel lines for bigger SS braided ones, you should tune anyway just because!

And let me quickly dissect your second statement and ask you a simple question.
A tune WILL make the best of your mods, however, IT IS NOT REQUIRED. Hmm ok, now whats the point of not tuning your car after installing a part that is supposed to give you more power... Wouldn't you want THAT PART to do what its supposed to do at the best of its abilities?

Dan :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread