2011 Mustang GT vs. 2003 Mach 1

z28th1s

The 5.0 is Back!!!
Established Member
wish we were closer to each other, id love to find out how will i would do!!! nice kill:rockon:

Thanks :beer: That would be fun if we were closer! Ever took your car to the track?

Good race, I see the paper result experts are here and saying what is supposed to happen and how the results were off. If the end result was 5 or 6 then so be it. I almost brought a new 5.0 but since I was going to supercharge it anyway I just purchased the Shelby. I learned that if the results do not turn out the way the book says its B.S up here. My brother beat a Z06 with his stang that never should have happened. Somethings are just not possible. I think everytime a race does not go the way they believe it should happen, both cars have to be quartine. Ship them to MYTH Busters and have them disected to see how that happened. Then they should be reassembled so the desired results can be met. Good run, I will be sure to watch out for the new 5.0 when I drive my 94 stang. However in the Cobra, not sounding arrogant but they better FEAR me lol.

04GTMustang

Established Member
good kill but i don't beleive the 5 or 6 car lenth i would beleive 2 or 3 best!!! stock 03 cobra would beat a stock mach1 by 1 or 2 cars..your saying the new 5.0 would put 4 or 5 car lenths on a stock cobra no way!!!

Are you high? A stock cobra would smash an even lightly modded mach 1 to PIECES fro a roll. From a dig, yea the mach has the nice SRA launch but from a roll? See you later.

sdg97232

Established Member
Are you high? A stock cobra would smash an even lightly modded mach 1 to PIECES fro a roll. From a dig, yea the mach has the nice SRA launch but from a roll? See you later.

i dont know what you consider "lightly modded" but stock 03-04 cobras dont come close to "smashing" my mach from a roll or a dig.

Last edited:

04GTMustang

Established Member
i dont know what you consider "lightly modded" but stock 03-04 cobras dont come close to "smashing" my mach from a roll or a dig.

My cobra smashed my friends intake/exhaust/tune/gears mach from a roll. I'm not stock but he isn't either.

The GT and Mach are a lot closer together than a Mach and a Cobra.

sdg97232

Established Member
lool.....the last few gt's iv ran i put football fields on.....stock cobras will not walk me as hard as i pull on gt's not even close:shrug:...bottom line is stock 03-04 cobras do around 12.80's a 5 speed mach with 4.10's a set of drag radials and a half awake driver will do 12.80's..of course every car and every race is different..

Last edited:

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
lool.....the last few gt's iv ran i put football fields on.....stock cobras will not walk me as hard as i pull on gt's not even close:shrug:...bottom line is stock 03-04 cobras do around 12.80's a 5 speed mach with 4.10's a set of drag radials and a half awake driver will do 12.80's..of course every car and every race is different..

The OP raced from a roll..That's what we're talking about. Yeah from a dig against a Mach 1 with bolt-ons, 4:10s and drag radials it will be a totally different animal. However, from a ROLL the Cobra will walk. Even running 12.80s you will not be trapping 111-113mph.

I do agree every car and race is different. I believe the OP's result though. The new GTs are a lot like Cobras but way more consistent, (no heat soak, no shitty plastic clutch quadrant) and even lighter.

The new 5.0s also respond well to a couple mods..There are new 2011s making 405rwhp+ with just an intake and tune, that's 30rwhp+ over stock.

While an intake, tune Mach1 would be lucky to make what, 305rwhp?

I could see 5-6 cars EASILY in the OPs situation. :shrug: His car probably has a 100rwhp+ advantage, that's all I'm saying. :beer:

Last edited:

04GTMustang

Established Member

Well the cars are roughly 100 hp apart stock. Cobra was disgustingly underrated and the mach was slightly under rated. 100hp (despite being 200 pounds heavier) is still plenty to lay quite a beating regardless.

sdg97232

Established Member
oh i know the mach is playing catch-up and needs to be modded to compete with a 03-04 cobra or the new 5.0 gt. BUT it dosent take many mods with a guy that can drive his mach to surprise a jadded cobra owner, besides theres too many camaro ss out there for me to be messin with cobras anyways lol. :beer:

MACHXLR8

Third Member
Established Member
I dont know...I just do not see a 3.73 gear, an X- pipe and a tune bringing the new 5.0 down a whole second in the 1/4. We are talking about a N/A setup and not FI. I can see making small mods to a turbo or supercharged car by bringing up the boost..just don't see that kind of gain from an N/A setup without heads, cam(s) or nitrous.
Whatever the situation was with the OPs race, I am sure that eventually I will get to run a new 5.0. If he puts 6 lengths on me, it might be time to get a Procharger.

z28th1s

The 5.0 is Back!!!
Established Member
I dont know...I just do not see a 3.73 gear, an X- pipe and a tune bringing the new 5.0 down a whole second in the 1/4. We are talking about a N/A setup and not FI. I can see making small mods to a turbo or supercharged car by bringing up the boost..just don't see that kind of gain from an N/A setup without heads, cam(s) or nitrous.
Whatever the situation was with the OPs race, I am sure that eventually I will get to run a new 5.0. If he puts 6 lengths on me, it might be time to get a Procharger.

They are several cars with similar mods that are running high 11's and low 12's with big and littles and sticky tires.

Additionally, your car has many more mods than my uncle's car does and sure it would have been a much closer race! :beer:

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
They are several cars with similar mods that are running high 11's and low 12's with big and littles and sticky tires.

Additionally, your car has many more mods than my uncle's car does and sure it would have been a much closer race! :beer:

Some are starting do it even without drag wheels.

UPR recently went low 12s in 90 degree heat @ palms springs dragway with similar mods as the OP

[youtube_browser]TeTj02KSO1M[/youtube_browser]

That's definitely close to pullied Cobra territory considering in those type of weather conditions our blowers would be heat soaked to hell.

Last edited:

94Gt5.0

Allgo5oh
Established Member

Well youve been living under a rock then!! There are alot of cars running into the 11's with similar mods. Its not rocket science, Ford left alot on the table to be gained, and tweaking the Ti-VCT has proven to work very well!

OP, nice race man, and very believable outcome(high 11 second car>low 13 second car) . It always baffles me when people come out with all the "what ifs'' and whatnot. What happened happened, end of story.

2sick4v's

SonicBoom
Established Member
That mach runs damn good for being able to trap 108 with those minimal mods. Your car probably gained a lot from the tune. I can see a 5-6 car beat down. Nice kill. Some of you guys crack me up. I've owned both a mach 1 and cobra at the same time and my 03 cobra would put easily 5-7 cars on my mach from a roll stock for stock. The new 5.0 is a very impressive car. I have seen one at the local racetrack go 116mph in 90 degree heat. The only mod it had was a dyno tune. The op probably has 7-8mph on the mach so i find the outcome very believable.

Last edited:

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
That mach runs damn good for being able to trap 108 with those minimal mods. Your car probably gained a lot from the tune. I can see a 5-6 car beat down. Nice kill. Some of you guys crack me up. I've owned both a mach 1 and cobra at the same time and my 03 cobra would put easily 5-7 cars on my mach from a roll stock for stock. The new 5.0 is a very impressive car. I have seen one at the local racetrack go 116mph in 90 degree heat. The only mod it had was a dyno tune. The op probably has 7-8mph on the mach so i find the outcome very believable.

:beer:

assasinator

1 N the head,2 N da chest
Established Member
good kill but i don't beleive the 5 or 6 car lenth i would beleive 2 or 3 best!!! stock 03 cobra would beat a stock mach1 by 1 or 2 cars..your saying the new 5.0 would put 4 or 5 car lenths on a stock cobra no way!!!

a stock termi is down on power to a tunes/bolt on 5.0. its tially believable.

assasinator

1 N the head,2 N da chest
Established Member

smash is right. and a coyote does the same thing.

Users who are viewing this thread