2012 5.0 vs 2010 SS

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
The 5.0 will have the same exact advantage rolling it does at the track against the ss.

This is what you continue to deny and assert "nooooo ls are roll monsters, pull better up top" and yet can't point out any reason why you think this. Not the gearing, not the power curve, nothing, you just say it out of emotion for your car.

But I'm the dense one...

It has nothing to do with emotion. Do you think I give a rat's ass if a car is faster than mine, especially stock vs stock? I couldn't care less. All it takes is money and who's got the deepest pockets. I say it because that has been my experience. I stated real world scenarios that actually happened, not some dumbass dyno sheet and theories about it.

TheCPE

Skeptic
Established Member
It has nothing to do with emotion. Do you think I give a rat's ass if a car is faster than mine, especially stock vs stock? I couldn't care less. All it takes is money and who's got the deepest pockets. I say it because that has been my experience. I stated real world scenarios that actually happened, not some dumbass dyno sheet and theories about it.

Your experience...passing a truck in a roll race? Yeah that is a very sophisticated, accurate and conclusive reason to assert that the ss just pulls hard up top period. Unlike silly theories involving power curves, aerodynamics, gearing and ridiculous stuff like that.

OP hurry up and get it done so we can /end this thread.

Grabber07'

Established Member
Your experience...passing a truck in a roll race? Yeah that is a very sophisticated, accurate and conclusive reason to assert that the ss just pulls hard up top period. Unlike silly theories involving power curves, aerodynamics, gearing and ridiculous stuff like that.

Why you gotta bring facts into this argument? :loser:

pho_phizzat

Dapper as ****
Established Member
Just to make it known. If you newer members didn't know. Sinisterbuilt one of the baddest lightnings this board as ever know. He may agrue plasma t.v. and texas all day but he isn't a brand loyal fan boy.
carry on.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member

Yep, that's the only experience I have racing. You nailed it genius.

Just to make it known. If you newer members didn't know. Sinisterbuilt one of the baddest lightnings this board as ever know. He may agrue plasma t.v. and texas all day but he isn't a brand loyal fan boy.
carry on.

:beer:

Jroc

Established Member

Listen to me I bleed Blue and fully support the Blue Oval, but you are the one letting your emotions toward your car get the best of you. If you were to look at the torque curve between a LT motor and a LS motor you would think that a LS motor would tear it a new one down low, but in reality a LT motor feels much more like a stump puller where a LS feels much more like a topend motor. I doubt you have any experience with a LS car. I suggest driving one so you won't looks so dumb. If not a new Camaro then maybe something like a LS2 GTO. They pull very strong above 4,000 rpms. They just do. No one is saying the new 5.0 isn't as fast or strong there, just is holds less of an advantage there. You need to recognize that a LS3 is one hell of a badass motor, and IMO the motor is where the new Mustang holds the least of it's advantage over the Camaro, and the new 5.0 is a homerun for Ford. It's a awesome motor. My Terminator was fast as all shit from a roll, and made over 502 lb-ft @ 3,500 rpms, but it didn't translate into as good an ET as I would of thought,(on street tires) but from a roll it was a beast. Some cars just are better at roll racing than they are from a dig. No one is saying that a stock Camaro will beat a stock GT from a roll only that it starts to even out more, and yes headers greatly help wake up an LS motor even more.

Last edited:

DietCoke

Slow Turtle
Established Member
:lol: Thats it really?? full bolt on car?? no wonder you guys hangout on a FORD site..2010 5.0 auto tune only car..no slicks and skinnies..stock tires [email protected] a CAI on it and tires 12.0@@115,,now add full exhaust you get the picture..plain and simple..a stock 5.0 will outrun a stock SS get over it,,and its not even a close race,,so add headers to the SS and you have a close race..its street racing anything can happen,does he have a shot at beating the SS Hell Yes..now why the 6 pages of bullshit??

Luls. My only argument was a full bolt on camaro will outrun a stock 5.0, obviously I'm in agreement with you on the stock vs stock. I wish my car were 400 pounds lighter, but it is what it is. Aren't any fast 5.0s local to me to play with.

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
The 5.0 is faster than the SS at the track. It's especially true with the auto. The SS is a lot better on the top end than it is through the 1/8th. Once you get both of these cars rolling on the highway the race is much closer.

I'd like to see an example of it. :beer: On average a 2011 GT will trap 2-3 mph higher in similar conditions. Looking at some above average slips from both sides, in the 1/8th mile MPH, 1000ft and 1/4 there is virtually the same disparity. :??:

The Camaro definitely has taller gearing, where as the Mustang's gearing is so short 5th is 1:1, so if the driver is fumbling around trying to get his car into 5th gear it may seem that way.

Not enough videos of these cars going at it on the street! :cuss:

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
So from all this we have determined the camaro won't lose "as bad" from roll as it would from a dig. The end

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
I'd like to see an example of it. :beer: On average a 2011 GT will trap 2-3 mph higher in similar conditions. Looking at some above average slips from both sides, in the 1/8th mile MPH, 1000ft and 1/4 there is virtually the same disparity. :??:

The Camaro definitely has taller gearing, where as the Mustang's gearing is so short 5th is 1:1, so if the driver is fumbling around trying to get his car into 5th gear it may seem that way.

Not enough videos of these cars going at it on the street! :cuss:

I don't think we'll ever agree on this topic lol. The majority of the 5.0's advantage is down low. It's lighter and has more aggressive gearing, especially the auto. Moving the weight from a standstill is easier for the Mustang. Once they're both rolling though and the SS can wind out, it's a different race. You're right though there's not enough of them in action on the street. I never had a chance to cross paths with a 5.0 when I was stock. I did beat a car that was faster than most 5.0's though, for what it's worth.

So from all this we have determined the camaro won't lose "as bad" from roll as it would from a dig. The end

Or at all. :eek:

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
I don't think we'll ever agree on this topic lol. The majority of the 5.0's advantage is down low. It's lighter and has more aggressive gearing, especially the auto. Moving the weight from a standstill is easier for the Mustang. Once they're both rolling though and the SS can wind out, it's a different race. You're right though there's not enough of them in action on the street. I never had a chance to cross paths with a 5.0 when I was stock. I did beat a car that was faster than most 5.0's though, for what it's worth.

Yeah, we probably won't agree! I agree that the 5.0 has aggressive gearing but the traps don't suggest that it outweighs it's top-end. The gearing is to keep it in it's powerband, and that it does as the Coyote engine is a little rev-happy motor.

Take a look at the records.

2010 Camaro SS
NHRA Stocker---------------- 1.972 - 12.588 @ 110.30 MPH STOCK 3-7-10

2011 GT
Pure Stock---------------- 1.893 - 12.223 @ 115.18 STOCK 3-26-11

Then look at the bolt-on traps..:shrug: When you think of a car that's all 60ft and traction you look at Mach 1s, cammed 3valves and 2valves on drag radials that ran mid 12s@106-108mph, not cars that ran mid 12s@113mph+ and make 370-380rwhp+ right out of the box. :shrug:

Here are a couple videos of 2011 GTs losing, but not by much from a roll on the expressway against considerably faster cars.

Against a magnacharged LS2 GTO..

[youtube_browser]n1cwIwflEjI[/youtube_browser]

2008 LS3 C6 which is a total animal up-top, (easily will keep up with 117-118mph+ cars from rolling speeds)

[youtube_browser]6GHWxTI4png[/youtube_browser]

An automatic with a cai, axleback and tune vs a full bolt-on upper/lower pulley 03 Cobra

[youtube_browser]YS4JvFjvKVY[/youtube_browser]

I just don't see it unless we are talking about speeds where a GT has to shift out of 5th. :shrug:

Anyways, I wonder if GM will offer an available 3.73 gear option in 2013 Camaros like in the ZL1. That would be very interesting. :beer:

Last edited:

04nccobra

Established Member
Yeah, we probably won't agree! I agree that the 5.0 has aggressive gearing but the traps don't suggest that it outweighs it's top-end. The gearing is to keep it in it's powerband, and that it does as the Coyote engine is a little rev-happy motor.

Take a look at the records.

2010 Camaro SS
NHRA Stocker---------------- 1.972 - 12.588 @ 110.30 MPH STOCK 3-7-10

2011 GT
Pure Stock---------------- 1.893 - 12.223 @ 115.18 STOCK 3-26-11

Then look at the bolt-on traps..:shrug: When you think of a car that's all 60ft and traction you look at Mach 1s, cammed 3valves and 2valves on drag radials that ran mid 12s@106-108mph, not cars that ran mid 12s@113mph+ and make 370-380rwhp+ right out of the box. :shrug:

Here are a couple videos of 2011 GTs losing, but not by much from a roll on the expressway against considerably faster cars.

Against a magnacharged LS2 GTO..

[youtube_browser]n1cwIwflEjI[/youtube_browser]

2008 LS3 C6 which is a total animal up-top, (easily will keep up with 117-118mph+ cars from rolling speeds)

[youtube_browser]6GHWxTI4png[/youtube_browser]

An automatic with a cai, axleback and tune vs a full bolt-on upper/lower pulley 03 Cobra

[youtube_browser]YS4JvFjvKVY[/youtube_browser]

I just don't see it unless we are talking about speeds where a GT has to shift out of 5th. :shrug:

Anyways, I wonder if GM will offer an available 3.73 gear option in 2013 Camaros like in the ZL1. That would be very interesting. :beer:

Really who cares about the records, who really knows how stock these cars really were on either side, fact is these times are not the norm and have not been able to be duplicated. Read through your own forums and see what the average guys are running.

Take a stock GT, a stock SS, both manual transmissions, both with good drivers and it will be a very very close race.

Defknotzero

Established Member
brick-loud-noises-a.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
Really who cares about the records, who really knows how stock these cars really were on either side, fact is these times are not the norm and have not been able to be duplicated. Read through your own forums and see what the average guys are running.

Take a stock GT, a stock SS, both manual transmissions, both with good drivers and it will be a very very close race.

Cool, it could be a close race. I'm stating an opinion and having a debate about how a Mustang performs up-top. You're inserting yourself into this discussion just for the sake of defending your Camaro. :shrug:

Defknotzero

Established Member
You're inserting yourself into this discussion just for the sake of defending your Camaro. :shrug:

The same could be said about some of the mustang guys in here as well (defending their cars).

Just saying. :shrug:

Defknotzero

Established Member
How do you like your SS vert? I have yet to see one on the road.

To be honest, i love it. I like to cruise and such and do not really drag race anymore so i figured why not get the vert. I love the SS and the LS3. Is it the fastest? No. (It's a heavy car) but does it move out? yes. I enjoy every second of it. I am the only vert I know around these parts.

I test drove the new 5.0 and really liked it. But I actually like the camaro SS better (just my opinion). It had a lot of the options i wanted plus it had the LS3 (love that motor).

Here are a few quick pics.

029.gif

077.gif

033.gif

018.gif

013.gif

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
To be honest, i love it. I like to cruise and such and do not really drag race anymore so i figured why not get the vert. I love the SS and the LS3. Is it the fastest? No. (It's a heavy car) but does it move out? yes. I enjoy every second of it. I am the only vert I know around these parts.

I test drove the new 5.0 and really liked it. But I actually like the camaro SS better (just my opinion). It had a lot of the options i wanted plus it had the LS3 (love that motor).

Here are a few quick pics.

029.gif

077.gif

033.gif

018.gif

013.gif

Looks good man. I really like the color combo. I bet some tinted windows and springs will make it even nicer. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread