2012 5.0 vs 2010 SS

S8ER01Z

Established Member
Really who cares about the records, who really knows how stock these cars really were on either side, fact is these times are not the norm and have not been able to be duplicated. Read through your own forums and see what the average guys are running.

That SS record time is highly suspect IMHO.... the person who did it doesn't consider air filters or even sticky tires to be mods... If not mistaken the car for sure had a K&N on it by the owners own admission (who knows what else he had....
[ame=http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61218]Putting the stock tune back in my car??? - Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com[/ame]

Posted 01-17-2010
I received my Vector Motorsports tuned file this week. I had the chance today to install it into my car.

Posted 03-07-2010
Record Timeslip for a 'bone stock' car.

and the pass was done in positive DA <2050ft> (meaning at Atco with perfect weather that Camaro would have run even faster). No idea about the 5.0 record but you brought up a very valid point.

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
No idea about the 5.0 record but you brought up a very valid point.

It's a forum member, pass was at Cecil dragway in likely well below sea level conditions.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/10655512-post116.html
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/10655586-post118.html

Anyways, the point wasn't to validate those records, but to point out the trap speeds of two of the fastest 'claimed' passes.

I don't think the 2011 Mustang's strength lies solely in it's aggressive gearing, (meaning whether from a dig or roll it maintains it's power to weight advantage).

2011 GTs seem to fairly consistently trap higher through the 1/8th and 1/4 mile. If the Camaro was gaining 2-3mph from an 1/8th to 1/4 mile over a 2011 GT I could see the argument, but the disparity in trap speeds is virtually the same from start to finish.

I think the aggressive gearing plays a much bigger role with sticky tires and a hard launch though. Even then, it would show more in the ET than trap speed.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
Yeah, we probably won't agree! I agree that the 5.0 has aggressive gearing but the traps don't suggest that it outweighs it's top-end. The gearing is to keep it in it's powerband, and that it does as the Coyote engine is a little rev-happy motor.

Take a look at the records.

2010 Camaro SS
NHRA Stocker---------------- 1.972 - 12.588 @ 110.30 MPH STOCK 3-7-10

2011 GT
Pure Stock---------------- 1.893 - 12.223 @ 115.18 STOCK 3-26-11

Then look at the bolt-on traps..:shrug: When you think of a car that's all 60ft and traction you look at Mach 1s, cammed 3valves and 2valves on drag radials that ran mid 12s@106-108mph, not cars that ran mid 12s@113mph+ and make 370-380rwhp+ right out of the box. :shrug:

Here are a couple videos of 2011 GTs losing, but not by much from a roll on the expressway against considerably faster cars.

Against a magnacharged LS2 GTO..

[youtube_browser]n1cwIwflEjI[/youtube_browser]

2008 LS3 C6 which is a total animal up-top, (easily will keep up with 117-118mph+ cars from rolling speeds)

[youtube_browser]6GHWxTI4png[/youtube_browser]

An automatic with a cai, axleback and tune vs a full bolt-on upper/lower pulley 03 Cobra

[youtube_browser]YS4JvFjvKVY[/youtube_browser]

I just don't see it unless we are talking about speeds where a GT has to shift out of 5th. :shrug:

Anyways, I wonder if GM will offer an available 3.73 gear option in 2013 Camaros like in the ZL1. That would be very interesting. :beer:

The guy in the Cobra can't drive for shit lol. He yanked him pretty bad at the start but lost a lot of ground on every shift. A 3.73 option would be nice, or better yet a 4.10.

It's a forum member, pass was at Cecil dragway in likely well below sea level conditions.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/10655512-post116.html
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/10655586-post118.html

Anyways, the point wasn't to validate those records, but to point out the trap speeds of two of the fastest 'claimed' passes.

I don't think the 2011 Mustang's strength lies solely in it's aggressive gearing, (meaning whether from a dig or roll it maintains it's power to weight advantage).

2011 GTs seem to fairly consistently trap higher through the 1/8th and 1/4 mile. If the Camaro was gaining 2-3mph from an 1/8th to 1/4 mile over a 2011 GT I could see the argument, but the disparity in trap speeds is virtually the same from start to finish.

I think the aggressive gearing plays a much bigger role with sticky tires and a hard launch though. Even then, it would show more in the ET than trap speed.

If the disparity in trap speeds is the same in the 1/8 and in the 1/4, wouldn't that kind of prove my point that all of the gain is in the 1/8? :shrug:

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
The guy in the Cobra can't drive for shit lol. He yanked him pretty bad at the start but lost a lot of ground on every shift. A 3.73 option would be nice, or better yet a 4.10.

The GT was an automatic, most manuals will get a jump off the hit while the trans downshifts. I agree he could have driven it better, but considering that's likely a 465rwhp+ Cobra the GT was pretty close.

If the disparity in trap speeds is the same in the 1/8 and in the 1/4, wouldn't that kind of prove my point that all of the gain is in the 1/8? :shrug:

I mean the disparity in mph remains the same. On the back half the Mustang keeps it's advantage and ultimately posts the higher trap speed.

If the Camaro had a top-end advantage it should be posting a much lower 1/8th mile MPH and gaining a lot more on the back half of the track.

Anyways, a whole lot of bench racing ha ha.

Last edited:

Jroc

Established Member
Y'all really don't need to underestimate the topend power of the new 5.0. Trust me it's much stronger in it's higher rpm's than it is as a stump puller. But being a N/A 5 liter motor than makes 412 HP, and turns to 7K+ rpms you know it's going to be. That motor loves to rev. It's easily stronger up top than any stock LS motor car(LS1's, and LS2's) I've ever been in or driven, I was just saying that LS motors are strong pullers up top also and I know the LS3's are quite improved over their predecessors. I drove I guess a base no option premium model, and I believe it had 3.31's, and trust me that thing was very strong all the way to it's redline. I was thinking that this car really doesn't need lower gearing for a streetcar, and it got up to over 100 mph surprisingly fast, and effortlessly. I think there's actually 3 gear options for a new GT if I'm not mistaken.(3.31's, 3.55's, and 3.73's) If I was going to bet against a stock Terminator or a stock 2011 GT my money would be on the GT in pretty much every race including from a roll.

If you haven't driven a new GT I would suggest giving it a shot, and I feel you would be extremely impressed. If I had to choose between owning another Terminator or a new GT I would go with the GT, and I loved my Terminator.

Last edited:

TheCPE

Skeptic
Established Member
Since no one can provide any reason why the LS pulls so incredibly up top I'm going to just assume some honda engineers sneaked into the LS design lab and sprinkled a little vtec dust...

JMD0346

Established Member
Damn that 3rd vid is hard to watch. If he wouldve driven the Cobra right he wouldve pulled him pretty good. Good running 5.0 though. No doubt. I love it. Glad Ford finally came to their senses.

Id like to have a 93 Cobra with the new 5.0 cammed. Just thought Id share. LOL

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
Since no one can provide any reason why the LS pulls so incredibly up top I'm going to just assume some honda engineers sneaked into the LS design lab and sprinkled a little vtec dust...

ha ha, funny because the Coyote motor technically has it's own vtec they just call it Ti-VCT. :rolling:

Users who are viewing this thread