2012 5.0 vs c5z

oneslo5.0

Established Member
A bolt on ls6 should pull a heavier bolt on 5.0. Then again there are always set up races
Meh, the video is there....if the SAME LS6 that was a full bolt on/cam car that got me by a car why is a stock motor a "set up race"?
I need to get me a car mount for my GoPro... love that view in the second video.
Thanks, it's on the top left corner of the windshield!

QuickC5Z

Established Member
Meh, the video is there....if the SAME LS6 that was a full bolt on/cam car that got me by a car why is a stock motor a "set up race"?

Thanks, it's on the top left corner of the windshield!

He got you by a car (cammed Z)from what? What did you guys race from, and up to?

QuickC5Z

Established Member
40 till top end of 3rd (120?) when he started rolling out hard on me. Like I said the best it has trapped is like 123....

Your 3rd or his? If it's his 3rd it's around 100 mph stock. He'll be pushing it a few mph higher due to revving higher from the cam.

oneslo5.0

Established Member
Your 3rd or his? If it's his 3rd it's around 100 mph stock. He'll be pushing it a few mph higher due to revving higher from the cam.
My 3rd, without a doubt he was the faster car(the cam car, not the bolt on car)
Because they are.
LOL ok

SVTPerformace the place that video isn't even acceptable any longer as proof:beer::lol:

oneslo5.0

Established Member
Bad drivers do exist, video or not :shrug:
In other words, its not the norm.
I agree it's not normal(cam car, not the bolt on C5Z) but how? The cam car only trapped 4mph more....it's not a h/c/full bolt on C6Z we are talking here. As far as the bolt on C5Z whats that car, a low LOW 12 second car? I think the bolt on C5Z is a VERY solid race for my car, the cammed C5Z I agree I brought the slower car to the fight but I also don't shift slow enough to eat a sandwich in between gears either...

QuickC5Z

Established Member
My 3rd, without a doubt he was the faster car(the cam car, not the bolt on car)

LOL ok

SVTPerformace the place that video isn't even acceptable any longer as proof:beer::lol:

Your 3rd winds out to 120 mph? From my experience racing stock 5.0s, they would've needed afew boltons to hang. Im not saying full boltons, but a few. With that said, a properly tuned and setup bolton C5Z should have no problem with a bolton 5.0, unless the 5.0 is on an aggressive race gas or e85 tune or weight reduction, or both.
Not saying you're lying, but ive seen quite a few C5Zs tuned by hacks who dont have a clue to what they're doing and end up getting minimal gains from their setups.

badws6ta

God hates us all
Established Member
Your 3rd winds out to 120 mph? From my experience racing stock 5.0s, they would've needed afew boltons to hang. Im not saying full boltons, but a few. With that said, a properly tuned and setup bolton C5Z should have no problem with a bolton 5.0, unless the 5.0 is on an aggressive race gas or e85 tune or weight reduction, or both.
Not saying you're lying, but ive seen quite a few C5Zs tuned by hacks who dont have a clue to what they're doing and end up getting minimal gains from their setups.

Yep, pretty much. They are also very hard to drive unless you have some seat time.

3rd in my car is a hair over 100MPH. The 5.0 I test drove with the 3.31 gears I shifted into 4th around 100 ish if I am remembering right.

the time in my sig is from before I cammed mine, I need to go get some new slips.

oneslo5.0

Established Member
I honestly have never looked, I knew it was just over 100mph, I figured high 1teens.

I don't know who tuned the car either.

I have just a basic Bama tune...

Sick03Vert

Banned
He made 75+ he claimed, I agree that car should(and did) out perform me on the big end. What's the true number? I don't know, it sure didn't look like a low 500 wheel car, I have gotten beat by them lol

Definitely not...I believe that car was in the low to mid 400's personally. Not taking anything away from your car, but once you get up over 500 in those C5Z's the power-to-weight is ridiculous.

You should trade your Shelby for a nice civic si. I wish I had a dollar for every time someone has posted a comment like yours above, real original, yet I've never seen any 2011+ GT owners ever say anything along the lines of "my car is so fast it beats everything it never loses bla bla bla" I don't know why people get so butt hurt every time a 5.0 beats something especially since you all are obviously ford people too.

You need to visit the forums more frequently. If I had a dollar for every time someone enlightened me that my Cobra is slow because "It's 10 years old!" and has "outdated technology", is "uncomfortable for road trips", etc. I'd be rich. Yet, every time a Cobra is shown beating a 5.0, it's "Well...put a blower on the 5.0 and we'll talk! No fair, N/A vs FI, etc." :bored::rolleyes:

Most of the 5.0 guys bring it on themselves, and it's a hatred of the stupidity and ignorance of the vast majority of 5.0 owners IMO. And that's not a shot at anyone in particular, so I'm not insulting any member here and I am not directing that comment at you, plus that's just my opinion.

Iv just never seen so many stories of 5.0 winning every single time no matter what the race is iv heard so much as bolt on 5.0 beating new 600cc bikes its redicilous .

This is a big reason why there is so much dislike for the owners. There are a LOT of fabricated 5.0 kill stories on here. Some of it simply can't happen. If I said my Cobra took out a TT Viper because the driver was bad, would you believe me? I'd hope not. Same goes for those kinds of stories about beating bikes with bolt-ons.

So much 5.0 hate.

Again, it's not the car, it's the drivers. I think everyone can respect the numbers the car itself brings to the table. If you take the car, and just the car, the GT is a great platform. But when you add in the BS of the crowd that tends to buy the car, then go out on the street and drive around like it's a Veyron and weave through traffic at 100+ everywhere they go, most people don't want to be associated with that, myself included.

Given the number of times a 5.0 owner has signed up here to start drama I don't think our banter was out of place nor was it aimed at the OP.

This is exactly my point. There are so many GT guys that start an account just because they want to troll the SVT forums. I would bet you don't see many Cobra guys trolling other Mustang forums.

OP, couple of things:

1. Nice footage with the GoPro. I thought about getting one, but I still like having a passenger to record so they can pan the camera and give everyone an exact idea of just how close things were.

2. Nice car. Seems to move out well with the mods you have.

3. As stated in my first quote response, that Z is in the 400's somewhere. Doesn't take away from it being a fast car, but just means the driver of it is a jackwagon who has no clue what he is talking about.

At any rate, good races..and yes, the cammed Z you mentioned definitely needs a driver mod if he can't pull better than a 12.4. Wow. :beer:

S8ER01Z

Established Member
Yep, pretty much. They are also very hard to drive unless you have some seat time.

3rd in my car is a hair over 100MPH. The 5.0 I test drove with the 3.31 gears I shifted into 4th around 100 ish if I am remembering right.

the time in my sig is from before I cammed mine, I need to go get some new slips.

A lot of this... My friend has an 01 C5Z making 572rwhp and it's impossible for me to drive. The gears rip past so fast my mind can't keep up. To date I think he has gone 11.7 @ 126 on a 1.960ft. I bet without a lot of seat time I couldn't get it out of the 12s.

Butcher98

Established Member
I agree it's not normal(cam car, not the bolt on C5Z) but how? The cam car only trapped 4mph more....it's not a h/c/full bolt on C6Z we are talking here. As far as the bolt on C5Z whats that car, a low LOW 12 second car? I think the bolt on C5Z is a VERY solid race for my car, the cammed C5Z I agree I brought the slower car to the fight but I also don't shift slow enough to eat a sandwich in between gears either...

The driver mod can be substantial in the C5Z. They can run high 11's completely stock, in good air. I ran 12.09 @ 115 with my 03 Z, with only 375 miles on the odometer. 4 months later, in the heat of August, I ran 12.10 @ 118 mph. With several bolt-ons, but with the stock cam and at the factory weight, I ran 11.25 @ 123.5 mph. I'm sure that high 10's are possible with bolt-ons and weight reduction in a C5Z. It would take good air, a decent track and a good driver, but it would be possible. I've seen bolt-on C5Z's run mid 13's with a bad driver. I'm looking forward to picking up my new 5.0 in a few weeks and seeing how it responds to bolt-ons. It should be interesting. :-D

S8ER01Z

Established Member
Butcher... it's a damn fine looking car as well. You forgot to post the rwhp from when you ran that 11.25 pass.

Butcher98

Established Member
Butcher... it's a damn fine looking car as well. You forgot to post the rwhp from when you ran that 11.25 pass.

Thank you, I love the car. The car made 386 rwhp and 372 rwtq when it ran those numbers. However, that is a bit mis-leading. Those numbers were after I installed a Ram single disk clutch and a stage 3 DTE differential with a 3.91 gear. Before the clutch and gears, the numbers were 405 rwhp and 364 rwtq. The air was good that day, but the track was marginal. It was spinning part way thru first gear and broke the tires loose on the 1-2 and 2-3 gear changes. My 60 foot time was 1.69 on that pass. That was with 10x26 ET Streets. As a point of reference, I was able to cut 1.77 60 foot times on the stock tires with the stock gears. BTW, all of my numbers were done without powershifting.

Last edited:

Butcher98

Established Member

I'm curious, your friends Z06 runs 126 with 572 rwhp? Was that a clean pass? That seems kinda slow for that much power.

Users who are viewing this thread