2012 5.0 vs c5z

pho_phizzat

Dapper as ****
Established Member
second.

I learned at the dragstrip yesterday that the fastest bone stock 5.0 (stock tires and all) auto is 11.8 and fastest manual is 12.0.... :rolling: Where do these people get these numbers from?

ermahgod!!!!!! You are just hating on the 5.0!!!!!! I have videos.......... rabble rabble rabble.

Butcher98

Established Member
second.

I learned at the dragstrip yesterday that the fastest bone stock 5.0 (stock tires and all) auto is 11.8 and fastest manual is 12.0.... :rolling: Where do these people get these numbers from?

I don't know about the 5.0 times, but most of the fast Corvette times come from either Texas or the New England area. They have very good tracks in those areas, and in the late Fall / early Spring those areas get great atmospheric conditions.

Breze84

Established Member
Wait, are you claiming that you ran 11.8 @ 118 in an '01 Z06 (with just a CAI, cat-back, and drag radials), on a 90* day when the DA was +3300? If you are, those numbers don't add up. :??:

Car made damn near 370whp and weighed 3010 lbs with a 1/4 tank of gas... It is what it is....

Car was pretty fast in stock form "Factory Freak" ? Drag Times confirmed the DA when I checked... This goes back over 2 years ago... Who knows but here is a bone stock romp...

Breze84 Z06 30-160mph - YouTube

And here was with just a CAI and Catback...

C5 Z06 Sprint.... Breze84 - YouTube

What do you want me to tell you lol

Last edited:

S8ER01Z

Established Member
I don't know about the 5.0 times, but most of the fast Corvette times come from either Texas or the New England area. They have very good tracks in those areas, and in the late Fall / early Spring those areas get great atmospheric conditions.

Yeah by the time we get the good DA it's too slick to hook. I have screenshots of -4xxx DA. Not a chance of getting traction though. (I know because I drove it that day lol)

Butcher98

Established Member
Car made damn near 370whp and weighed 3010 lbs with a 1/4 tank of gas... It is what it is....

Car was pretty fast in stock form "Factory Freak" ? Drag Times confirmed the DA when I checked... This goes back over 2 years ago... Who knows but here is a bone stock romp...

Breze84 Z06 30-160mph - YouTube

And here was with just a CAI and Catback...

C5 Z06 Sprint.... Breze84 - YouTube

What do you want me to tell you lol

First of all, a dyno is a tuning tool. Nothing more, nothing less. Some dynos can be more generous than others, so I take all dyno numbers with a grain of salt.

Secondly, you are aware that dyno numbers are "corrected", aren't you? That means your car made almost 370 rwhp at sea level. You would be lucky if your car made 350 rwhp at 3300 feet.

And lastly, when you use sticky tires, you usually trade a gain in ET for a loss in mph. That's because the extra traction you get early in the run turns into extra drag at the top end.

I've been around these cars since they hit the showroom floors. I'm not saying your car couldn't run those numbers. I'm saying it is highly unlikely that it could run those numbers in the condition you stated.

I'm curious, was it cloudy or sunny on the day you made that pass? Did you buy your car new or used?

Butcher98

Established Member
Oh, and by the way, those videos are cool, but they don't really prove anything. I never said your car was slow.

QuickC5Z

Established Member
First of all, a dyno is a tuning tool. Nothing more, nothing less. Some dynos can be more generous than others, so I take all dyno numbers with a grain of salt.

Secondly, you are aware that dyno numbers are "corrected", aren't you? That means your car made almost 370 rwhp at sea level. You would be lucky if your car made 350 rwhp at 3300 feet.

And lastly, when you use sticky tires, you usually trade a gain in ET for a loss in mph. That's because the extra traction you get early in the run turns into extra drag at the top end.

I've been around these cars since they hit the showroom floors. I'm not saying your car couldn't run those numbers. I'm saying it is highly unlikely that it could run those numbers in the condition you stated.

I'm curious, was it cloudy or sunny on the day you made that pass? Did you buy your car new or used?

Sticky tires dont equate to less mph. Usually the extra traction will equate to more mph, unless the stickier tire is taller.

Butcher98

Established Member
Sticky tires dont equate to less mph. Usually the extra traction will equate to more mph, unless the stickier tire is taller.

That is only true if the stock tires are completely overwhelmed by the amount of power the engine makes. Since several people, including myself, have run that same ET and mph on stock tires, I doubt the stock tires would be overwhelmed. I would be willing to bet that, as long as the track wasn't too hot or too cold, and as long as the drag radials were the same size as the stock tires, it would have run a higher mph on the stock tires. It wouldn't be a huge difference, probably just less than 1 mph on average.

QuickC5Z

Established Member
That is only true if the stock tires are completely overwhelmed by the amount of power the engine makes. Since several people, including myself, have run that same ET and mph on stock tires, I doubt the stock tires would be overwhelmed. I would be willing to bet that, as long as the track wasn't too hot or too cold, and as long as the drag radials were the same size as the stock tires, it would have run a higher mph on the stock tires. It wouldn't be a huge difference, probably just less than 1 mph on average.

If you're able to dump your clutch and get out the hole at a higher rpm, this is gonna increase mph. You're increasing the distance you accelerate with all your power to the ground. Some people do lose mph with sticky tires but that's cause when they dead hook they gey a big drop in rpm which translates to lower rpm whem you cross the finishline. Some people think spinning increases mph because if this. Little spin just keeps the rpms up. But cars that are geared aggressively dont have this issue because they can keep their rpms up when hooking and wont get a bog out the hole.

Butcher98

Established Member
A stock Z06 (C5) is not geared aggressively for drag racing. It is geared for road racing. It has a 3.42 ring and pinion with a 2.66 first gear. That is not very aggressive. By comparison, the regular C5 six speed has a 2.99 first gear. Now if the car in question has a 3.73 or 3.91 ring and pinion, then that's a different story. By the way, I've run quicker and faster than than the run in question on stock tires. The stock C5 Z06 tires were very good. I never understood putting drag radials on these cars for the track.

QuickC5Z

Established Member
A stock Z06 (C5) is not geared aggressively for drag racing. It is geared for road racing. It has a 3.42 ring and pinion with a 2.66 first gear. That is not very aggressive. By comparison, the regular C5 six speed has a 2.99 first gear. Now if the car in question has a 3.73 or 3.91 ring and pinion, then that's a different story. By the way, I've run quicker and faster than than the run in question on stock tires. The stock C5 Z06 tires were very good. I never understood putting drag radials on these cars for the track.

You got that backwards. The C5Z has the more aggressive gearing. Its a 2.97 first gear. A stock C5Z would benefit greatly from drag radials if the rear diff wasn't so weak and you can actually launch it hard. Otherwise, drag radials are pointless.

Camaro_94

Brown Recluse Slayer
Established Member
^^^ I snapped the drivers side rear axle shaft in my 02 Z06 when I put slicks on it at the track. Had a H/C/I/n2o setup. I hate drag racing corvettes.

QuickC5Z

Established Member
Difference is, yours can be fixed cheaper. Lol

2002 Z06 breaks axle at drag strip - YouTube

That was me... 2 years ago

That hurt to watch LOL I have a heads and cam setup on mine, and i'm taking it to the track soon. Your vid was another reminder that i'm not gonna be able to get an accurate time on what the car is fully capable of. That's one draw back on these cars.
I'm gonna eventually get an rpm stage 3 diff with 4.10s or 3.90s so I can do 6k rpm clutch dumps out the hole. Launching like a sally at the track sucks.

Camaro_94

Brown Recluse Slayer
Established Member
That hurt to watch LOL I have a heads and cam setup on mine, and i'm taking it to the track soon. Your vid was another reminder that i'm not gonna be able to get an accurate time on what the car is fully capable of. That's one draw back on these cars.
I'm gonna eventually get an rpm stage 3 diff with 4.10s or 3.90s so I can do 6k rpm clutch dumps out the hole. Launching like a sally at the track sucks.

I ended up replacing mine with that + upgraded axle shafts.

I had a rpm transmission for it too. Well worth the money if you plan on launching the **** out of it at the track.

Breze84

Established Member

SAE whatever... Obviously its a tuning tool lol. I put down that number right after a 2008 C6Z with a CAI & catback put down 430whp... Tuning tool or not, You get the idea of what kind of performance a car is capable of and I have slips to back it up...

Last edited:

QuickC5Z

Established Member
I ended up replacing mine with that + upgraded axle shafts.

I had a rpm transmission for it too. Well worth the money if you plan on launching the **** out of it at the track.

I already have have a built trans by FLT. My 3rd and 4th synchros are shot from a crappy clutch that wasnt fully engaging all the time though. Other than that all I need is the diff and i'm set.
Did you end up going with a different gear when you did the diff?

Users who are viewing this thread