2012 Boss 302 vs 2015 GT w/PP

DiZzyBonne

Established Member
Given that the two have essentially the same engine (save for the built bottom end of the Boss,) but the '15 has the IRS, if both were modified to have an equally comparable suspension/tires and power, will the '15 GT run circles around the '12 Boss 302 on the track, mainly because of the stiffer suspension and the added IRS? Or, will it be a driver's race, with the '15 GT having a slight advantage?

Last edited:

DiZzyBonne

Established Member
I'm confused. From my understanding, the '15 GT is supposed to perform just as well as the '12 Boss in stock trim, at least according to Ford. Given the fact that the '15 has IRS, if you were to build up both the '15 GT and the '12 Boss 302 to have a similar suspension setup, the '15 GT, in theory, should handle better, correct?

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
I'm confused. From my understanding, the '15 GT is supposed to perform just as well as the '12 Boss in stock trim, at least according to Ford. Given the fact that the '15 has IRS, if you were to build up both the '15 GT and the '12 Boss 302 to have a similar suspension setup, the '15 GT, in theory, should handle better, correct?

Yes.

If you look at the skid pad and figure 8 numbers, the 15 is about dead even with the boss 302. It also weighs more than the boss 302 and has less tire. It would outrun it if they had the same tires on them.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
Yes.

If you look at the skid pad and figure 8 numbers, the 15 is about dead even with the boss 302. It also weighs more than the boss 302 and has less tire. It would outrun it if they had the same tires on them.

the boss has a bit less weight, slightly more power and slightly wider rear tires. the IRS makes that much of a difference?? to overcome those negatives? theyre not much but theyre still there...

2015 with PP does have bigger brakes front and rear which may also help for faster lap time..

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Huh. Same track same driver the 15 ran a second faster than the boss both racing the 1le. Stock for stock the 15 is faster.

+1. The '15 has a 28% stiffer chassis than the previous model plus IRS. It just has small crappy tires, it's under-dampened, and weighs more. Ford also claimed that in their testing the '15 GT w/ PP was like 1.5 seconds faster around a race track than the boss. Don't remember the track name off the top of my head though. The '15 has huge potential, and is no slouch around the track.

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
But the 15 doesn't have a Boss intake.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
From everything I've seen to date, the '15 will beat the Boss with equal drivers. It won't, though, run circles around the Boss. As we see more '15s hit the road courses, we'll get confirmations either way.

DiZzyBonne

Established Member
I guess it makes me sad that a car specifically built for the track gets outrun by a '15 GT with a PP upgrade. Even if both cars had a fully built race suspension, the '15 GT will outperform it due to the newer, stiffer chassis, and the addition of the IRS.

Oh well, everybody can own a '15 GT, not everybody can own a Boss 302!

DiZzyBonne

Established Member
I don't know how to feel. I'm about to buy a 2012 Boss 302 w/Recaro Seats with 13,000 babied miles, but for the same price, I can get a base (cloth) '15 GT w/PP and Recaro Seats.

Why should I get one over the other? It's going to be my DD, and as for the lack of creature comforts in the Boss, I can always add an aftermarket bluetooth radio, and upgrade the speakers for cheap. So that's not a concern with me.

Iamchris

Shakey Snake
Established Member
This question just begs for bench racing. Nobody can say much at the moment, but Ford did...

When we were out on our development drives, I made the team use the current Boss 302 as one of our internal benchmarks. I said, “We have to take the character of the Boss 302 and it has to trickle down through the lineup now.” And I said, “The GT Performance Pack [on the new Mustang] needs to beat a Boss on a track.” The Boss is very capable, very balanced, but the Boss has a window, and as long as you’re operating within that window, it’s badass and it’s great to drive. As soon as you get outside of that window, the Boss makes you wake up a little bit. This car, you’re going to have a hard time finding that window. Reaching the edge on the new Mustang is extremely progressive and predictable.

In that, it appears that the GT track pack is supposed to beat the 302. And, as said above... a little more tire will likely go a long way on the 2015.

Iamchris

Shakey Snake
Established Member
Why should I get one over the other? It's going to be my DD, and as for the lack of creature comforts in the Boss, I can always add an aftermarket bluetooth radio, and upgrade the speakers for cheap. So that's not a concern with me.

Plan to keep the car? Plan to race the car on a track?

Honestly, 99.99% of drivers (that is not a real statistic) will never push either car to a point in which the handling performance of either car would be a factor. I think the IRS on the 15' might feel a little more forgiving on the street though. Also, if you plan to keep the car, the GT will go the way of every other GT and will simply be another Mustang. Enthusiasts go for the special models like the Boss, Shelby, ect... I notice them when I see them, I hardly care when there is a GT going by. They are both cool cars, and your purpose for it ultimately should decide which you will get...

Daily driver, track fun horse, just another sports car... get the 15'
Enthusiast car, show car, track car, sunday driver... consider the Boss.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
Plan to keep the car? Plan to race the car on a track?

Honestly, 99.99% of drivers (that is not a real statistic) will never push either car to a point in which the handling performance of either car would be a factor. I think the IRS on the 15' might feel a little more forgiving on the street though. Also, if you plan to keep the car, the GT will go the way of every other GT and will simply be another Mustang. Enthusiasts go for the special models like the Boss, Shelby, ect... I notice them when I see them, I hardly care when there is a GT going by. They are both cool cars, and your purpose for it ultimately should decide which you will get...

Daily driver, track fun horse, just another sports car... get the 15'
Enthusiast car, show car, track car, sunday driver... consider the Boss.
^ lol what a ridiculous post. Then I looked at who it was, wow typical cobro response.

You heard it here first, only enthusiasts buy the special models. He won't even notice you if you drive a lowly GT.

News flash, that blue Cobra in your sig is still a Mustang. Sometimes I think you're just trolling, did you just get a Cobra? :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread