2012 Charger R/T vs 08/09 G8 opinions

hotrodjcc

Established Member
I'm going through a change with work which will take away my work provided truck and moving to a vehicle allowance. I have been interested in 4 door cars like the G8 GT/GXP or Charger R/T.
I checked out a new R/T today and they came pretty far off their sticker price, and I guess my question is does anyone here have any personal experience with either of the vehicles? I don't really have a restriction of what I have to have, but I will be commuting from Dallas to Lafayette 2 times a month.

hotrodjcc

Established Member
I drove an SHO last week and didn't really see myself driving one everyday. I want an Ecoboost truck, but i've already got a truck that the wife drives.

Last edited:

truefiveo

Established Member
I drove an SHO last week and didn't really see myself driving one everyday. I want an Ecoboost truck, but i've already got a truck that the wife drives.

If company reimburses fuel costs then grab a Charger.... screw it.:rockon::burnout:

hotrodjcc

Established Member
.55 cents a mile. They had a Charger stickered at 33k and came down close to 26k and had just about been on their hands and knees begging me to buy the thing.

Jroc

Established Member
If you like cars that handle like Crown Vics then I recommend Dodge R/T's.

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
I get .50 cents a mile for work and use a 95 Accord that gets 28mpg. I probably made 4k off it last year, maybe more. So with my philosophy I wouldn't choose any of the cars you listed.

Forced to choose I would pick a the G8 over the Charger. I just did a paint correction on a G8 GT and after spending hours with it I think it has a lot of character. I also believe the drive train is more reliable and easier to work on than the dodge. Don't discount a first gen CTS-V. I would pick a 04/05 CTS-V over any of them simply because the smaller 5.7 LS6 makes the same power but is more fuel efficient and Caddy has the most curb appeal.

hotrodjcc

Established Member
I understand the philosophy, they prefer us to be in something newer as in not really older than 6 years and 4 door. After my wife had a really bad head on accident I swore I wouldn't own anything smaller than a midsize vehicle.

I did look at Hondas and Nissans, but they must think they are made of gold for the current prices.

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
I understand the philosophy, they prefer us to be in something newer as in not really older than 6 years and 4 door. After my wife had a really bad head on accident I swore I wouldn't own anything smaller than a midsize vehicle.

I did look at Hondas and Nissans, but they must think they are made of gold for the current prices.

Ah, I see. When you said they took your truck I thought it might be construction related and the car wouldn't matter. I agree about the prices on newer used Honda's/Toyota's, almost better off with a new one. I say go with the G8, it will cost less and no newer model will come out and make yours look old.

kustom_efekt

Established Member
I owned a g8 gt and liked the car for what it was--which it was a fully loaded. I sold it when Pontiac was first announced on being eliminated and got out while the getting was good. No complaints about the car itself.

IMO a new SHO would be perfect

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I would go for a newer car than a 2008-2009 G8, especially considering that Pontiac is dead. I would also definitely look at other cars. Does it have to be a V8? Also, just because a car is full-size doesn't mean it is safer than an intermediate size car. There are really quite a few great choices (2012 model year) out there that you should consider. But if you've looked at a lot of 2012 cars and only the Charger R/T interests you, then if it were me I'd rather have a new 2012 Charger R/T than a 2008-2009 G8. You'll also have a new warranty with a new Charger, which you won't get with the older G8. JMO.

Users who are viewing this thread