2013 Break-In

SGMPhil

The Sergeant Major
Established Member
I am interested in hearing how people like myself who are purchasing their vehicles from non-local dealerships should properly break in their new Shelbys.

Typically the break in recommendations include things like keeping the speed/RPMs under "xx" and to not run at a constant speed/RPM for the first xxx number of miles. I have not read the owners manual as I do not have one yet :)

I've got a 800+ mile drive home when I pick mine up and I want to break the beast in properly and am wondering if I should take the "long way home" and run through small towns, make lots of stops, etc. to accomplish that.

I'd like input from you pros and would like to hear what others are going to do.

Thanks!

Zeroescence

Established Member
Hit the small towns. Helps to vary speed and rpm's. After
100 miles you can get up in the rpm and stomp on it. Just be mind full that the tranny and clutch need more breaking in than the engine so don't speed shift and drop the clutch.

I am interested in hearing how people like myself who are purchasing their vehicles from non-local dealerships should properly break in their new Shelbys.

Typically the break in recommendations include things like keeping the speed/RPMs under "xx" and to not run at a constant speed/RPM for the first xxx number of miles. I have not read the owners manual as I do not have one yet :)

I've got a 800+ mile drive home when I pick mine up and I want to break the beast in properly and am wondering if I should take the "long way home" and run through small towns, make lots of stops, etc. to accomplish that.

I'd like input from you pros and would like to hear what others are going to do.

Thanks!

The Saint

Cookie Monster
Established Member
I have white smoked the tires coming out of every dealership that I have ever purchased a mustang from and then proceeded to drive it like I stole it. In 15 years I have never had a engine issue. I personally believe the harder you drive it in the beginning the better it is for pistion seal, but that is just me...

Florian

Established Member
Ive always broken in my vehicles the way I plan on driving it....nail it off the dealers lot and thrash it on the way home. Never had an issue.

F

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
Drive the car the way you drive from the get go and it will be "accustomed" to that. If you want a car that lasts 200K miles, sure baby it and follow factory recommendations. But most guys believe in the mantra of just driving it, varying speeds and RPM's just to get everything going. Thats what im going to do, have fun! ...plus after the 50 miles I believe that full boost is unlocked....:burnout:

Redzone

Established Member
Drive the car the way you drive from the get go and it will be "accustomed" to that. If you want a car that lasts 200K miles, sure baby it and follow factory recommendations. But most guys believe in the mantra of just driving it, varying speeds and RPM's just to get everything going. Thats what im going to do, have fun! ...plus after the 50 miles I believe that full boost is unlocked....:burnout:

Dammit......forgot about that. Mine's going straight from the dealership to the drag strip which is only 10 miles or so. Guess I'll take the long way.

ShelbyKid

It sounds stock..
Established Member
I've always varied rpm's for the first 50-100 miles, and then just drive it like i'll drive it for the rest of the time the car will spend with me. If anyone questions it, i just feed them the piston ring seal story :)

Go-Fast

Established Member
Mine will be broken in at New England Dragway in Epping, NH!!! :burnout:

Same as the 2008 was!!! :burnout:

Ninjak

Posting from The Shadow's
Established Member
Careful we may have Fbodfather come and tell us about break in and warranties....

PRP

Established Member
5 consecutive miles driven unlocks the boost limiter....not 50.:)

5 consecutive miles driven or 50 restart cycles, whichever comes first.

And that's not for "Transport mode", that's to keep *any* drivers (transport drivers, PDI Techs, customer's on test drives, etc.) from getting full power and wrecking the car.

Varying engine RPM and load is a thing of the distant past. They're ready to go right off of the showroom floor, other than the above noted RPM limited period.

Phill

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
Ok so looks like we are getting some good clarification and discussion on what it will take to unlock the beast, 5 miles is much faster than 50..... :lol1:

Users who are viewing this thread