2013 GT/CS, possible lemon - misfiring in 3-6

5.0_

Established Member
As lemon law states in GA, when having a recurring problem with a new car you're to give the manufacturer 3 attempts to repair the car, then a final repair attempt. (Skip 30 days because it provides a safety concern endangering me) if all 4 attempts don't work then fords required to reimburse/replace.

On to the problem. Misfiring happened within first 600 miles of having the car. Flash engine light would blink then disappear. One day it stayed on after missing a 2-3 shift. Misfiring is most prevalent in 5th gear.. will gas and the car sputters and falls on its face...the Took it to the dealer they cleared the code saying they couldn't get it to misfire and sent me on my way. Said its a common problem not serious... I knew id be back soon.. Needless to say it came back and I went back to the dealer the next day for them to keep it for testing and updating the PCM. Total of 3 days-with weekend. Got it back and the car actually ran a lot smoother with the updated PCM, but ~1 week later on the highway the same misfiring happened in 5-6 and couldn't not get it to stop until I pulled over and turned off the car. Fired it up check engine light still on no misfiring... 3rd trip to the dealer was right after that. The replaced the coil and the plug in #4 cylinder and kept it for the 3 days.. Dealership said that should be the end of it they tested it a bunch. Didn't even take a mile after leaving the dealership before the misfiring happened in 4th gear. Had to stay in the car though was in a rush to work... Made it safely there. On the way back however it was raining.... Misfires in 5th gear on the highway. I was cruising ~50mph. Music was up a bit so I didn't hear the engine sputter. Gassed it to pass a truck, car fell on its face and sputtered up to 2500 rpm I slid across 2 lanes thankfully there was little traffic near me the car and me are safe...

Didnt think I had a lemon til I read up on the laws in GA usually you have to wait 30 full days in the shop unless its a safety.... My safety was definitely put on the line... Had there had been another car or I had spun into the median things could been a lot worse..... As for now I just don't want to drive the car at all. Will be going to the dealer in the morning....I just want to enjoy my damn car.

Im so happy i waited to tune and and put all my bolt ons on the car. Shes bone stock now and i could only imagine what the situation would be like if my car was modfied...

Did a search couldn't come up with many others with this problem... Anyone else experiencing it?

eny3atyd.jpg

Going for broke

Established Member
Not sure about here on svt but over at themustangsource ford has customer service reps on the forum. They seem to be able to get things going. I actually had a 2012 5.0 repurchased by ford but I'm here to tell you it's not a quick and easy process. Ford handled it professionally but there is a process that has to be gone through.

Lethal302

Roar
Established Member
As lemon law states in GA, when having a recurring problem with a new car you're to give the manufacturer 3 attempts to repair the car, then a final repair attempt. (Skip 30 days because it provides a safety concern endangering me) if all 4 attempts don't work then fords required to reimburse/replace.

Is it 3 or 4?

01bluesnake

Established Member
I would call Ford customer service, tell them what's going on and see if they can get an engineer out there to check it out. If you really like the car and want to keep it, I would try this. Otherwise talk to the service manager and ask if they have a tech that is better at driveability and explain your concern. Sorry to hear of the problems your having. Is there any scenario when you drive the car where you can duplicate the problem, or does it come and go at different times? To me it sounds like low rpm load situations and with codes, the tech should be able to reproduce the problems.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
1st time ive heard this exact issue on the 2013. As stated call ford customer care an also talk to the dealer. If you do a buy back lemon law it takes a few months so good luck

5.0_

Established Member
I would call Ford customer service, tell them what's going on and see if they can get an engineer out there to check it out. If you really like the car and want to keep it, I would try this. Otherwise talk to the service manager and ask if they have a tech that is better at driveability and explain your concern. Sorry to hear of the problems your having. Is there any scenario when you drive the car where you can duplicate the problem, or does it come and go at different times? To me it sounds like low rpm load situations and with codes, the tech should be able to reproduce the problems.

They're planning on calling ford and having them send someone out here tomorrow according to my service manager. It's easy to duplicate the problem in 5th gear pulls. I'm planning on having the tech drive it while I ride in the passenger seat showing him how it happens.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
They're planning on calling ford and having them send someone out here tomorrow according to my service manager. It's easy to duplicate the problem in 5th gear pulls. I'm planning on having the tech drive it while I ride in the passenger seat showing him how it happens.

Keep us updated

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
Has the new TSB reflash been done? I see it's been flashed, not sure if it was the latest cal that is for this issue.

5.0_

Established Member
Has the new TSB reflash been done? I see it's been flashed, not sure if it was the latest cal that is for this issue.

Yup had the TSB reflash done- was the pcm update. i thought this was for sure the issue... apparently not :shrug:

Last edited:

alex12gt

Established Member
Not sure about here on svt but over at themustangsource ford has customer service reps on the forum. They seem to be able to get things going. I actually had a 2012 5.0 repurchased by ford but I'm here to tell you it's not a quick and easy process. Ford handled it professionally but there is a process that has to be gone through.

Do not contact ford cs on a forum they tie you user name to your vin and use it against you if you try and take them to court....i know from personal experience

FIFTY

Established Member

Sorry to thread jack...BUT damn you live in a nice neighborhood! On a serious note hope ford figures it out....if you end up doing a buy back/lemon just be prepare to be even more pissed with ford, as it is a very lengthy and tedious process.

5.0_

Established Member
Do not contact ford cs on a forum they tie you user name to your vin and use it against you if you try and take them to court....i know from personal experience

Thanks for the heads up, ill be talking to someone from ford tomorrow hopefully. Get this issue resolved.

5.0_

Established Member

How long did the process take you approximately?

kingcobra323

Established Member
I have a 13 gtcs auto. Had a similar feel while accelerating car would just go limp. Haven't had the problem since I got a tune installed. Hope all is resolved for you soon

01bluesnake

Established Member
I have a 13 gtcs auto. Had a similar feel while accelerating car would just go limp. Haven't had the problem since I got a tune installed. Hope all is resolved for you soon

You were most likely experiencing torque reduction, pretty common on untuned cars. Kind of like a nanny to keep you from hurting the car too bad or yourself. Mine did this as well very intermittent, mostly at higher speed shifting like 3-4.

grnenvy

Established Member
It can be fixed but it sounds like u have a crappy service department. You need to be a little patient because it could have a harness problem and there hard to find. Road test it with the shop Forman and Service manager. Duplicate the problem for both of them so your on the same page. Then ask them before its returned to u if they both could drive it so theres know issues.
I worked for many years as a Tech at a dealership and with problems like this we would handle issues in this order. If not your going to get the run around.
Also ask them for a free rental since they haven't handled things right the first time.

Users who are viewing this thread