2013 GT Hellion 67mm single turbo kit review

Deespeed99

Established Member
UPDATE! In car video!

http://youtu.be/ySUwesjyz-0

Ok here we go! First off this is my own personal review so keep the :burn: down to a minimum because again it's my own personal opinions and review with data so people have information to make their own decisions or opinions about the kit.

My friend was kind enough to let me install the kit in his shop and start to finish took me 2 days which included the boost controller, FP gauge/setup & BAP/injectors & plugs. I am not a mechanic but on a scale of 1-10 install difficulty was probably a 4/5 if you have access to a shop but 7/8 if you don't. I DON'T recommend installing this kit without access to a lift. I bought the kit used for a great price with all the parts.

After taking the car apart (removing bumper/exhaust and all other necessary parts) the kit installed extremely easy and taking my time I had no problems installing the kit or fitment issues. I didn't have to trim my bumper but did have to cut the driver side fender well splash guard to clear the turbo. The exhaust clearance was VERY tight around the K-member but with the use of 2-3 transmission jacks we were able to line it up and tighten it down no rubbing or vibrations from the exhaust/k-member. No cutting of the K-member was needed either. The stock exhaust clamps that come with the kit are junk and will leak pre-turbo, I replaced them with band clamps which eliminated the leaks. The kit will require modifying the engine service cover on the bottom if you want to re-use it but I don't plan on driving in the rain much so I left it off. The pressure switch for the scavenger pump needs to be wrapped with a plastic bag or water/rain will trigger it into thinking the pump died. I may have missed something but feel free to ask if you have questions.

Ok on to the fun part, the performance! First I must say THANK YOU to Shaun at AED for spending the time to talk to me about the kit and the pro's and con's about it in terms of tuning and referring me to Adam @ Revolution Auto here in MD. THANK YOU to Adam for taking the time to get my car right and getting 'decent' numbers out of this kit, Adam's customer service was top of the line and if you live on the east coast and wished you could get a AED dyno tune wish no more and go to Adam! The 2013 PCM's have a few changes and differences from the 11/12's which posed some issues but Adam figured them all out!

As we all know the 67mm is very small for these motors so the power peaks at about 5800-6000 and stays linear until you crank up the boost and it peaks about 5500-5600 and falls after that. Yes that's a VERY low peak for these motors but the kit makes up for it with TQ. Peak TQ on 11lbs hit 650 and on 9lbs was over 500+ from 3.5 all the way up to 6000RPM. The back pressure issues on the hellion single kit are due to poor pipe sizing pre-turbo (you can notice how bad it is because there is almost NO difference with the cutout open on lower boost numbers) but the factory wide bands were moved to the down pipe only after bungs were added in the down pipe to install the dyno's widebands to see what the difference in AFR was pre and post turbo to compensate for the high back pressure of the kit in the tune. Adam nailed it right on and as a result the car is seeing perfect AF's and drive ability, tip-in response and gas mileage is amazing. It averaged 26 still on the highway and 17/18 combined city/highway with a little bit of boost play.

In summary if you can find the kit used definitely jump on it, upgrade to a 76mm and modify the hot side and you shouldn't have the issues myself and many others in the past have or just buy one of the others if you don't have the means to do all of that, haha. I think this will also allow the numbers JPC, CPRsm and other single kits do (Not as good as theirs but much better then a stock hellion) The kit with a good tuner still will put down great numbers which I have listed below in the youtube video along with copies of the final dyno sheets on low boost and "high boost". My go-pro died so I'll finish recording the in car videos tomorrow or this weekend depending on the weather.

The tune is at 15* of timing and using an eboost boost controller to ramp in boost. The car is a BLAST to drive even with the 3.73's. I honestly don't have an issue shifting at 6000-6100 or feel it's 'too soon' and the TQ hit is so early that you really don't notice the power peak being so low. I had the street tires on it still and it's below 40 so it's blowing through the tires trying to make a clean pull.

http://youtu.be/-196Kb7el9s

Last edited:

TRDon

Established Member
It is crazy how fast that thing spools. That is a baby turbo for that setup, but looks like an awesome streetable setup. Quick spooling, nice tq, bet its fun.

6SpeedFreak

Established Member
Ok that is a true hellion kit...That curve looks about like mine...my numbers are SAE and I don't have a BAP and Im on 6.5 psi....With the stock gt500 injectors! Im planning on getting a BAP and new injectors to see how things go after that...my car on this dyno stock was only 365 whp for comparison. I want 600 RWHP soo bad....Im hoping I can get it on this turbo...if not I will go for a larger turbo...but I have a lot of fun with this one that is for sure! Also what brand turbo did you get..I think hellion changed their kits recently because the pdf they sent me had a few things that were different than my actual install.

Last edited:

D.T.R

Established Member
These motors & heads breath too darn well, a 67mm is just too small... I'd go at least with a 76mm... look at CRPM's turbo kit... comes standard with a big ass turbo... isn't it an 88mm? and these motors spools them perfectly, without any modifications.

6SpeedFreak

Established Member
And my kit is competely unmodded...just bolted it up...it is all kit nothing else as of yet...no BAP, GT500 injectors, no controller just running off spring...exactly what you get with the kit with the mail order tune! We did zero tuning while on the dyno..was the runs only. And if I did it all over again..would get the 76mm with ID1000s and a BAP..and be just happy errrr!!!

Deespeed99

Established Member
Dang so it leaves 1,000 rpm range on the table.

Yeah its crazy. Definitely helps having 3.73's with it so low.

Ok that is a true hellion kit...That curve looks about like mine...my numbers are SAE. I want 600 RWHP soo bad....Im hoping I can get it on this turbo... what brand turbo did you get..I think hellion changed their kits recently because the pdf they sent me had a few things that were different than my actual install.

SAE numbers were naturally lower but i wanted to feel good about something since the RPM was so low. It came with a precision 6765 i believe. You can get 600 std but sae will require probably 16-17* of timing & 12-14psi.

Do you happen to have any in car vids of the car w/the turbo kit?

Ill have them today or tomorrow. My gopro died on the way home so i couldnt get them last night. Im hoping the snow holds off and i have time to put the ET streets on.

Are you going to swap to a lower gear soon or stay with the 3.73's?

With the current setup ill leave them. I think a lower gear & shifting at 6100 will hurt more then help. My future plans are solidified yet.

6SpeedFreak

Established Member
yeah I just spent some more money...ordered my BAP, ID1000s and Boost Controller...Also my car is on 15* and a little rich...but pretty spot on for my motor safety concern..Guess we will see if mine falls off at over 6k when I turn up my boost in a week or two!

Screamin363

Established Member
Never dynoed it, I just drive it. My guess is it makes 580rwhp on 6psi.
I got the kit from another member here and he said that what is made on his car. (Ylecyote).

All I did was bolt it up on a stock car with slicks and it ran that number. No speed shifting and no suspension work at all.

The kit is great but it does have some downfalls. I picked up 3 mph short shifting.

If I had it to do over again I would do the CPR. All the issues I found in this kit are non-existent in the CPR kit.

BBR nailed the tune and I enjoyed it.

CPRsm

These motors & heads breath too darn well, a 67mm is just too small... I'd go at least with a 76mm... look at CRPM's turbo kit... comes standard with a big ass turbo... isn't it an 88mm? and these motors spools them perfectly, without any modifications.

Yeah I tried one. Problem isn't the compressor though. Ours has a 74/82 right now compared to the 75mm turbine the hellion uses w either compressor. The 82mm in my kit still spools faster and makes another 80-120rwhp more HP or so at the same boost level. Depends on their tuner though. We do have more hidden w the AFR in the 10's and timing. Wonder if Hellion will come in here saying we won't accomplish anything again.
But you're right DTR, she spools the even larger 88mm turbine no problem, and still makes almost 1500 HP. He gets his new intercooler back soon and plan on 1300rwhp+ thru the auto.

Last edited:

YLYCYOT

Turbo Taxed
Established Member
I got the kit from another member here and he said that what is made on his car. (Ylecyote)

Nice try with my name Mike!

I never had the car on the dyno when I had this kit. I figured around 640ish on 10psi. I did have to short shift it to get it to run a number.

Users who are viewing this thread