2013 Shelby GT500: Nurburgring Testing : Video

Detroit Iron

Established Member
Premium Member

RCM90

Established Member
Ok guys, I am going to buy new GT500, ship it over to Germany, and run the ring over and over till I beat the Zl1 time..........then this thread will finally end! LOL:beer:

You better do that very soon.. its starting to get warm and its always super humid.. lol

magred

Established Member
Well for those that claim they could care less about what so and so car does at the Ring, you are in denial. People who actually track their cars do care. Not that most can achieve said numbers. But what it does indicate is what the car is capable of. So to sit back and say that it means squat, that just makes you look like some little whining kid.

What i can't get over is how the BOSS does so well on the tracks and has quite a bit less HP but yet is marginally slower than a Z06 with the Z07 package. I would personally love to see Ford beef up the suspension and kick the Camaro's ass on the Ring. Call it the Track Rat option and call it a day.

In closing, "Give em hell Ford!!".

01LightningGal

Gloria
Established Member
A one lap hero run lets people know what the car is capable of??

I guess you are correct, if your track day is only one lap. However, here in the real world, where a track day is much longer than 1 lap, the ZL1 will be seeing taillights, and that will be from a Boss 302 (already happened. Experienced ZL1 owner lapped 5 seconds slower after 5 minutes, and had inexperienced Boss 302 drivers smoking him).

The problem is, in the real world, supercharged 3800++lb cars are not good track cars. Period. They can do well for a very short period of time, and then they will fall on their face. In this instance, the GT500 was 7/10ths of a second slower than the ZL1. How about they run 25 hotlaps, and give us the results. This will be the real world, and will show how much more efficient the GT500 heat exchanger is, than the ZL1's.

Who beats who, slightly, after 1 lap, means nothing. Run a real race, and show the end result. Otherwise, you are a part of the problem and not a part of the answer.

Basically, they are doing those who aspire to road race, no favors here. It is misrepresentation of the worst kind, as the actual ZL1 owner experienced.

magred

Established Member
A one lap hero run lets people know what the car is capable of??

I guess you are correct, if your track day is only one lap. However, here in the real world, where a track day is much longer than 1 lap, the ZL1 will be seeing taillights, and that will be from a Boss 302 (already happened. Experienced ZL1 owner lapped 5 seconds slower after 5 minutes, and had inexperienced Boss 302 drivers smoking him).

The problem is, in the real world, supercharged 3800++lb cars are not good track cars. Period. They can do well for a very short period of time, and then they will fall on their face. In this instance, the GT500 was 7/10ths of a second slower than the ZL1. How about they run 25 hotlaps, and give us the results. This will be the real world, and will show how much more efficient the GT500 heat exchanger is, than the ZL1's.

Who beats who, slightly, after 1 lap, means nothing. Run a real race, and show the end result. Otherwise, you are a part of the problem and not a part of the answer.

Basically, they are doing those who aspire to road race, no favors here. It is misrepresentation of the worst kind, as the actual ZL1 owner experienced.

Look, I think you better save your track analyzing for someone who knows nothing about a track. I for one do. Let me give it to you this way so that maybe you can comprehend. If I take a sprinter who runs the 400 meters in 43.18 seconds, and then expect the other contestants to continue to race the next 400 meters, as long as the racers can continue at said pace, the distance will grow. We all know that will not happen due to stamina and other variables. You do not know enough about either car at this point in time to go on trying to throw more variables into the mix. You have no idea who has the better cooling system, better oiling system, better overall braking, suffers more from heat soak,etc.

Another thing that people get from 1 lap is that they are seeing the car at it's potential before it has had time to heatsoak etc. They are seeing max potential at that point.

Now as for you trying to tell me how long a track day is, you better try telling someone who has never ran track days. I know all to well about running them. Do so all the time, almost every weekend.

snakecharmer

Established Member
I still think Ford is just f***ing with everyone's head and is going to blow up the ZL1 and post a ring time nobody expected.

GrandMarquis

Established Member
Look, I think you better save your track analyzing for someone who knows nothing about a track. I for one do. Let me give it to you this way so that maybe you can comprehend. If I take a sprinter who runs the 400 meters in 43.18 seconds, and then expect the other contestants to continue to race the next 400 meters, as long as the racers can continue at said pace, the distance will grow. We all know that will not happen due to stamina and other variables. You do not know enough about either car at this point in time to go on trying to throw more variables into the mix. You have no idea who has the better cooling system, better oiling system, better overall braking, suffers more from heat soak,etc.

Another thing that people get from 1 lap is that they are seeing the car at it's potential before it has had time to heatsoak etc. They are seeing max potential at that point.

Now as for you trying to tell me how long a track day is, you better try telling someone who has never ran track days. I know all to well about running them. Do so all the time, almost every weekend.

Motor Trend had 5 GT500's and ran over 150 pulls in 2 hours. And none had one single problem, so that shows pretty damn good durability. Although, I am not entirely sure if the ZL1 has done this yet, or how many pulls they did. But who knows man. . . Whatever time Ford releases, will prove which car is better. It shall be very interesting who wins. Being the track had a HUGE straight, the GT500 could gain a lot of ground on there. That could make the difference for the car. I'm ready for a time though! . . Locals from Germany are rumored to have timed 7:30's.

GrandMarquis

Established Member
ONE thing I noticed though. On that straight at that track. How come the GT500 BARELY beat the ZL1. . But in terms of the 1/4 mile, it drowned the ZL1, and anything past 100 MPH, it drowns it even more. . . I feel as if the GT500 should have soaked it even more. Because those MPH readings are closer than those of the 1/4 mile, which doesn't make sense. . There is no way, that in that last corner before the straight, the ZL1 had that much more speed than the Shelby. Just a thought, though. Let me know what you think.

01LightningGal

Gloria
Established Member

Yes................ you are seeing max potential for one lap.

Yeppers, you sure told me. So, how many one lap track events do you attend on weekends??

BTW, my comprehension is just fine, thank you very much. I have no problem with the ZL1 being faster in this case. What I have a problem with is the totally incomplete picture we are getting on these cars. Woohoo, a car can be fast for one lap. We already know that the GT500 will handle heatsoak pretty well, as is evidenced by the Atlanta media day, with cars running 25-30 hotlaps, and maintaining their times, after the initial dropoff. We know the ZL1 does not do this well. So, are we supposed to believe that their heat exchanger only works good on a road course??

SFlaCobra

Established Member
I could give two shits if the GT500 turns better or not. 99% of the time the GT500 and ZL1 will race on the street or drag strip. In that case the GT500 yanks the ZL1, period.

Its pathetic to see that Camaro fans can only rave about the handling of the ZL1.........because other than that its slower than a Boss N/A with a few bolt ons

Last edited:

Hwy. Chile

Established Member
Well for those that claim they could care less about what so and so car does at the Ring, you are in denial. People who actually track their cars do care. Not that most can achieve said numbers. But what it does indicate is what the car is capable of. So to sit back and say that it means squat, that just makes you look like some little whining kid.

What i can't get over is how the BOSS does so well on the tracks and has quite a bit less HP but yet is marginally slower than a Z06 with the Z07 package. I would personally love to see Ford beef up the suspension and kick the Camaro's ass on the Ring. Call it the Track Rat option and call it a day.

In closing, "Give em hell Ford!!".

Who's in denial and looks like a whining kid? "[T]hose that claim they could care less about . . . the Ring?" You explain that Ring performance indicates what a car is capable of. Are you referring to track racing or street use? It appears you are speaking only in reference to the former.

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
Ford doesn't want to release times because they are scared GM will need another bailout and they don't want to have to pay more taxes, after all they have families to feed too.

bpmurr

Established Member
No, why give Team Camaro the official numbers?

Official "public" performance numbers are bad for two reasons...

First, what if SVT said 11.5@125, 0-60 in 3.5 seconds, Nurburgring in 7:31.13, Top speed 202 MPH and magazines produced 12.4@116, 0-60 in 4.4 seconds, Nurburgring in 7:52 and so on... It puts the team in bad light and damage control ends up consuming most of your positive advertising time.

and second, why give Team Camaro the numbers to bench a possible upgrade from. Let them buy a '13, ship it over there and test it themselves. This gives them absolutely nothing to physically aim for and could end up spending a lot of R&D $$$ just trying to get baseline Ring numbers for the competition... Just so you know SVT won't one up me again with.... lets say.... a video of said 7:31.13.....

I just see what you did here. You gave us the time unofficially because it did do the the 1/4 and 0-60 in the times you just listed. Sneaky-Sneaky ;)

magred

Established Member
Yes................ you are seeing max potential for one lap.

Yeppers, you sure told me. So, how many one lap track events do you attend on weekends??

BTW, my comprehension is just fine, thank you very much. I have no problem with the ZL1 being faster in this case. What I have a problem with is the totally incomplete picture we are getting on these cars. Woohoo, a car can be fast for one lap. We already know that the GT500 will handle heatsoak pretty well, as is evidenced by the Atlanta media day, with cars running 25-30 hotlaps, and maintaining their times, after the initial dropoff. We know the ZL1 does not do this well. So, are we supposed to believe that their heat exchanger only works good on a road course??

I could give a crap which of these cars is faster on the track. I simply was indicating to you why Ring times matter. The Ring has every track conglomeration rolled into one. That's why it matters. Basically it shows the overall performance of the car. You on the other hand have to come back with some kind of excuses. For the long duration, the ZL1 hasn't been able to handle heat soak very well. But that is not the argument here. The argument is which one is faster on The Ring and for the one lap, the ZL1 did. Surely you know that the ZL1 must have ran more than one lap to achieve that time. How much time was allowed for each cool down between runs? Who knows? But, in my world, BS walks, money talks. And basically in this instance the money is the time.

The ZL1 has the fancy MRC, which the ZR1 has as well. FORD did an outstanding job on the Boss 302 suspension as I said in my first post. We are talking about a car that beat the C6Z06 time around most tracks until the Z06 got the Z07 treatment. We are talking about a car down on power that still put up incredible numbers. FORD should have given the option to those who wanted it.

But as for how many 1 Lap events I attend, oh that would be "0". I am at the track all day when I am there. But, the best lap that I make will be when my car is at it's peak. Be it not a full tank, ??brakes perfect, track incredible, air temp nice and cool, etc. I am not arguing that the ZL1s Ring Time makes it the overall better track car. I am just simply stating that it will set the faster time. Until they are both ran over a long duration, multiple lap event, everything else is pure speculation. I personally would love to see the GT500 beat the crap out of the ZL1 in every category.

As for the magazine writers, they will pick whoever is giving them the most advertising bucks. Throw a BMW in the picture and they will give it interior points and points for cup holders. So based on the tests so far, the GT500 will give the ZL1 a beating, and more than likely Corvettes as well. So, what does GM do? They come out praising the ZL1 for it being a track car. Well, now what do they advertise the Corvette as? We all know the bragging rights will be who blew someones doors off.

magred

Established Member
Who's in denial and looks like a whining kid? "[T]hose that claim they could care less about . . . the Ring?" You explain that Ring performance indicates what a car is capable of. Are you referring to track racing or street use? It appears you are speaking only in reference to the former.
As for who the whining kids are? Oh it is evident by the crying and excuses. Everyone pretty much knows that the GT500 will mop the floor with the ZL1. GM did their damage control and realized that they could not compete in that arena so they did the next best thing and proclaimed their car to be the faster "Sports Car". They had to talk about handling ability because they had already been beat when it came down to the cars true purpose. The only thing is that Ford also made some proclamations of it's on by saying that they were giving the GT500 a better suspension and basically make it the GT500 with the Boss handling capabilities. They didn't. SO in essence, you have one car extremely quick in the quarter and the other, a little faster around a road course. Pick your poison.

As I keep saying, either give the GT500 the Boss suspension treatment or give the Boss the GT500 power increase. The latter would probably be better.

All-Or-Nothing

Established Member

LMAO..........:lol:

Have you ever considered that some of us DON'T give a crap about Ring times. I don't track (road course) my cars or even care to do so. Why would I care what it did at the Ring besides using it to rib someone in a forum arguement. I really don't care as the dragstrip, highway pulls, stoplights, and my local streets will be where I focus my races on.

magred

Established Member
Motor Trend had 5 GT500's and ran over 150 pulls in 2 hours. And none had one single problem, so that shows pretty damn good durability. Although, I am not entirely sure if the ZL1 has done this yet, or how many pulls they did. But who knows man. . . Whatever time Ford releases, will prove which car is better. It shall be very interesting who wins. Being the track had a HUGE straight, the GT500 could gain a lot of ground on there. That could make the difference for the car. I'm ready for a time though! . . Locals from Germany are rumored to have timed 7:30's.

Oh I would love nothing better than to see the GT500 demolish the ZL1 in endurance racing and show just how bad the heat soak is in the ZL1. There was so much hype about what this car was supposed to do and it flopped big time in the segment it was supposed to be in. GM did damage control and then called it a track car. Just wait till those guys try taking their car in for warranty work after tracking them. GM did the same thing for the Corvettes when they proclaimed them a track car but there is a little bullet statement in the owners manual about not covering warranty items for said usage or if they can prove it has ever been used at such events. Hmmm, valves and roller rockers come to mind.

magred

Established Member
LMAO..........:lol:

Have you ever considered that some of us DON'T give a crap about Ring times. I don't track (road course) my cars or even care to do so. Why would I care what it did at the Ring besides using it to rib someone in a forum arguement. I really don't care as the dragstrip, highway pulls, stoplights, and my local streets will be where I focus my races on.

Yeah, here is the kind of person I was alluding to in my earlier post. Unfortunately, this person is the kind that speaks his mind and removes all doubt.
What you don't understand is that many do when looking at the overall car. Some buy their car to be a track car or drag car or some use it for both.

Hwy. Chile

Established Member
Yeah, here is the kind of person I was alluding to in my earlier post. Unfortunately, this person is the kind that speaks his mind and removes all doubt.
What you don't understand is that many do when looking at the overall car. Some buy their car to be a track car or drag car or some use it for both.

I think the issue may be your statements implying that those who do not share your interest in road track performance are whiners in denial. There are some folks that don't care about road race performance at the edge of control and think more about on-ramps, highways, stoplights, roll races, drag strips and mods.

Users who are viewing this thread