2013 Shelby GT500: Nurburgring Testing : Video

SVT_SRT8

Established Member
I'm glad I know where my car stands at Nurburgring, lol. Chevy ain't scared.

probably broken down for dropping a valve as that's what most z06's do when they are on a road course.:D

Man this video leaves a lot to be desired but, still awesome none the less.

01LightningGal

Gloria
Established Member
Well, one things for sure. If it ran good times we would be hearing about it. So it must not have been that impressive.

For the 8 millionth time, short of the hp/tq, and top speed, what performance statistics has Ford shouted out and bragged about??

I would say, "I'll take NONE, for $100 Alex."

Does this mean the GT500 sucks at 0-60, 0-100, 1/4 mile, skidpad, slalom, etc?? No. It just means that like all else, Ford is happy to let the car talk for itself.

This is in direct contrast to another company who likes to fabricate hero times at various performance metrics, that no actual owner will ever duplicate.

One frustrates up front, and delights as time goes by. The other delights up front, and greatly disappoints as time goes by. I can tell you which I would rather have.

SPEEDRACER88

I didn't pick your car
Established Member
No, why give Team Camaro the official numbers?

Official "public" performance numbers are bad for two reasons...

First, what if SVT said 11.5@125, 0-60 in 3.5 seconds, Nurburgring in 7:31.13, Top speed 202 MPH and magazines produced 12.4@116, 0-60 in 4.4 seconds, Nurburgring in 7:52 and so on... It puts the team in bad light and damage control ends up consuming most of your positive advertising time.

and second, why give Team Camaro the numbers to bench a possible upgrade from. Let them buy a '13, ship it over there and test it themselves. This gives them absolutely nothing to physically aim for and could end up spending a lot of R&D $$$ just trying to get baseline Ring numbers for the competition... Just so you know SVT won't one up me again with.... lets say.... a video of said 7:31.13.....

Then why put out the teaser video?

txviper

Established Member
For the 8 millionth time, short of the hp/tq, and top speed, what performance statistics has Ford shouted out and bragged about??

I would say, "I'll take NONE, for $100 Alex."

Does this mean the GT500 sucks at 0-60, 0-100, 1/4 mile, skidpad, slalom, etc?? No. It just means that like all else, Ford is happy to let the car talk for itself.

This is in direct contrast to another company who likes to fabricate hero times at various performance metrics, that no actual owner will ever duplicate.

One frustrates up front, and delights as time goes by. The other delights up front, and greatly disappoints as time goes by. I can tell you which I would rather have.

Im sorry, did I get someones panties in a wad?:whine: Swing much?

REX-RACER

Testing w/ the live data!
Established Member
:D
Would have been nice, but I think most people will be more focused on how the car does at tracks that mean something (VIR, LS, etc.)
S.

THIS!!!!!!

Been saying it for a while now, "Ring times" don't mean squat to me, I'm not going to be in Germany any time soon ( if ever )! If you want to have an impact on an American crowd, let's say we have a head-to-head test at an American track like Road America, VIR, BMP, etc. There's plenty of word class race tracks in the U.S.

Seriously, enough w/ the Nurburgcrap, stop it already!

01LightningGal

Gloria
Established Member
Im sorry, did I get someones panties in a wad?:whine: Swing much?

Snarky much??

I'm sorry, but you must have mistaken me for someone who gives a shit what you think. I would love to see the times, as it would make for great fun on the forums. Beyond that, as someone who loves the twisties and would always take a road course over the drag strip.................. they mean nothing.

The funny part, is how many people have bought their significance, hook, line, and sinker. The "ring" marketing machine is working good.

However, I agree with you. Ford should take a GT500 with a full cage, shaved tires, maybe a little tune here and there (who will know, afterall, since noone oversees anything, and there are no standards), and waits for the perfect forecast. They have their pro driver run many dozens of runs, to get that perfect number................. you know, the one that noone but he can reproduce............... and Ford makes a pretty little video from inside the car, that proves nothing but the speed the car is going. And TAADAHHHHH !!!! We have our perfect (useless) hero bragging run.

Yeppers................ I am waiting for that, with bated breath. :rolleyes:

Detroit Iron

Established Member
Premium Member
Snarky much??

I'm sorry, but you must have mistaken me for someone who gives a shit what you think. I would love to see the times, as it would make for great fun on the forums. Beyond that, as someone who loves the twisties and would always take a road course over the drag strip.................. they mean nothing.

The funny part, is how many people have bought their significance, hook, line, and sinker. The "ring" marketing machine is working good.

However, I agree with you. Ford should take a GT500 with a full cage, shaved tires, maybe a little tune here and there (who will know, afterall, since noone oversees anything, and there are no standards), and waits for the perfect forecast. They have their pro driver run many dozens of runs, to get that perfect number................. you know, the one that noone but he can reproduce............... and Ford makes a pretty little video from inside the car, that proves nothing but the speed the car is going. And TAADAHHHHH !!!! We have our perfect (useless) hero bragging run.

That was exactly the formula GM used. Too many variables and like you said who knows if that car was stock...I wouldn't be surprised one bit if it had a "pre-production" tune or other non-stock features. I remember it was even faster than the Z06 on the long straighaway which I have a hard time believing. A Z06 weighs ~1000 lbs less, is only down about 50rwhp and I would guess is more aerodynamic. Maybe it was the magic suspension?:shrug:

After seeing GM's embarrasing sub 12 second quarter mile stunt, I don't know how anybody could believe any of their performance numbers. I guess we'll have to wait for the magazines to do their comparison of the two cars. We'll let the C5 crowd "keep the faith" because they certainly need it at this point.:dancenana:

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
Snarky much??

This in spades!

and dont get baited by the trolls too much, they are starting to come over because its the only thing they can hang their hat on "ring times" ( even though many loud mouths dont even own a zlwhat)...its pathetic really...im going to enjoy my car the way I want, had enough of this 'ring crap too

SVTeveN

SVT
Established Member
Cool video, Not... Times or it didn't happen. I don't get it ford claims to have done all this work to a car if it's faster than the zl1 why not post it.

SPEEDRACER88

I didn't pick your car
Established Member
I remember it was even faster than the Z06 on the long straighaway which I have a hard time believing. A Z06 weighs ~1000 lbs less, is only down about 50rwhp and I would guess is more aerodynamic. Maybe it was the magic suspension?:shrug:
A Z06 is roughly 3300 lbs and 505hp so that's about a 600lb and 150hp difference

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
I've repetitively asked this for people that think this but I never get an answer. Some guys like SVTeveN just have nothing better to do than cry in here because they are somehow butthurt about SVT, but for people that legitimately think this, I'd like to know how you arrive at this conclusion logically given the following:

-Theory is SVT does not release times if times do not beat ZL1.

-Chevrolet releases video showing a ZL1 hero run of 11.96@117

-World knows SVT could produce regular non-hero run that obliterates 11.96@117

-SVT does not release video showing GT500 running anything

The fact of the matter is SVT could put Camaro Nation into full on meltdown mode by releasing every max effort performance test they've done, but they don't because it's a stupid gimmick, and I mean that sincerely. Like I've said before, the same week Chevy was at Milan bullshitting to high heaven that they got a completely unrepeatable 1.69 60 ft to go 11.96@117 (does anyone believe that?), SVT was there and ran 11.5@126 on stock tires. Yet no videos or press releases.

You've got civilians that were hand timing GT500's running around the Ring saying the car was doing in the 7:30s and 7:40s. They weren't exactly right on their "to the second" numbers, but they were in the ballpark. If you're really concerned about knowing the time to the hundredth of a second someone turned in a supercharged street car on a 14 mile circuit in Germany, you should probably go ahead an buy a ZL1.

Well, one things for sure. If it ran good times we would be hearing about it. So it must not have been that impressive.

Cool video, Not... Times or it didn't happen. I don't get it ford claims to have done all this work to a car if it's faster than the zl1 why not post it.

rwboring

Established Member
I've repetitively asked this for people that think this but I never get an answer. Some guys like SVTeveN just have nothing better to do than cry in here because they are somehow butthurt about SVT, but for people that legitimately think this, I'd like to know how you arrive at this conclusion logically given the following:

-Theory is SVT does not release times if times do not beat ZL1.

-Chevrolet releases video showing a ZL1 hero run of 11.96@117

-World knows SVT could produce regular non-hero run that obliterates 11.96@117

-SVT does not release video showing GT500 running anything

The fact of the matter is SVT could put Camaro Nation into full on meltdown mode by releasing every max effort performance test they've done, but they don't because it's a stupid gimmick, and I mean that sincerely. Like I've said before, the same week Chevy was at Milan bullshitting to high heaven that they got a completely unrepeatable 1.69 60 ft to go 11.96@117 (does anyone believe that?), SVT was there and ran 11.5@126 on stock tires. Yet no videos or press releases.

You've got civilians that were hand timing GT500's running around the Ring saying the car was doing in the 7:30s and 7:40s. They weren't exactly right on their "to the second" numbers, but they were in the ballpark. If you're really concerned about knowing the time to the hundredth of a second someone turned in a supercharged street car on a 14 mile circuit in Germany, you should probably go ahead an buy a ZL1.

Amen brother!

dtheo

FUBAR Enforcer
Established Member
Ok guys, I am going to buy new GT500, ship it over to Germany, and run the ring over and over till I beat the Zl1 time..........then this thread will finally end! LOL:beer:

chuckstang

Established Member
Im not sure how it'd even be possible for the zl1 (hero run or not) to run faster at the ring than the 13 gt500 could run.

The cars are really not even close (performance wise)

Users who are viewing this thread