2013 Shelby GT500: Nurburgring Testing : Video

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
:D
FYI...the ZL1 in the hero run hit 172 mph.
2012 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 Nurburgring Lap [7:41.27] - YouTube
Check out ~7:35 into the video.
S.

Yeah, the difference in that spot is that GT500 gets off the throttle slightly while ZL1 is in it the whole time, although even off the throttle GT500 is still going faster through that section than ZL1. Being that it's coming off the straight and it's not a super tight turn, people shouldn't be surprised.

Snorman

Gaining fast...
Established Member
Yeah, the difference in that spot is that GT500 gets off the throttle slightly while ZL1 is in it the whole time, although even off the throttle GT500 is still going faster through that section than ZL1. Being that it's coming off the straight and it's not a super tight turn, people shouldn't be surprised.
Even though you can't disclose times, can you tell us if, in fact, Ford ran the cars through instrumented testing at Nurburgring (obtaining lap times) and if they plan at some point to make those times public?
This almost seems like a teaser vid and they plan on dropping a bomb at some point.
:kaboom:
S.

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
I don't think SVT will ever release any kind of times for any track unless some magazine manages to stick a kid with a learner's permit behind the wheel for a test and subsequently produces some atrocious time.

We'll probably just have to wait for that annual head to head SVTP-Camaro5 Nurburgring international shootout.

Snorman

Gaining fast...
Established Member
I don't think SVT will ever release any kind of times for any track unless some magazine manages to stick a kid with a learner's permit behind the wheel for a test and subsequently produces some atrocious time.

We'll probably just have to wait for that annual head to head SVTP-Camaro5 Nurburgring international shootout.
:D
Would have been nice, but I think most people will be more focused on how the car does at tracks that mean something (VIR, LS, etc.)
S.

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Established Member
Thats pretty impressive! Didnt the Zr1 hit like 182 or 183??
Yeah, the ZR1 hit 182 there. I said a few months ago that this thing was almost as fast as the ZR1 in some parts of the track. The hero ZR1 run was run the same time as the GT500 testing was done in June last year.

3mph slower VO2 max than a ZR1 Corvette.... Outstanding...

dtheo

FUBAR Enforcer
Established Member
I started a thread regarding this and all the guys didn't give two chits about the almighty Nurgurgring times, its good to see that the SVT team does. Its important to the overall package of this new beast.

Hwy. Chile

Established Member
SVT needs to release the freakin times.

And if they do, list precisely what the track conditions were, what mods over stock were (eg roll cage), driver, etc. in order to exemplify the variables and honesty/dishonesty that undermine the endless bench racing and mfgr marketing claims based on the Ring

Blown10thCobra

Established Member
Being someone who bought this car not to sit in a garage, but drive selectively on the street and run occasionally at places like VIR, CMP, etc; seeing this really is awesome. Lets me know options like the SVT-TP were actually tested, not just another box to check on an options list. SVT/Shelby/Ford have really impressed me with this car thus far, we love it!

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Established Member
SVT needs to release the freakin times.
No, why give Team Camaro the official numbers?

Official "public" performance numbers are bad for two reasons...

First, what if SVT said 11.5@125, 0-60 in 3.5 seconds, Nurburgring in 7:31.13, Top speed 202 MPH and magazines produced 12.4@116, 0-60 in 4.4 seconds, Nurburgring in 7:52 and so on... It puts the team in bad light and damage control ends up consuming most of your positive advertising time.

and second, why give Team Camaro the numbers to bench a possible upgrade from. Let them buy a '13, ship it over there and test it themselves. This gives them absolutely nothing to physically aim for and could end up spending a lot of R&D $$$ just trying to get baseline Ring numbers for the competition... Just so you know SVT won't one up me again with.... lets say.... a video of said 7:31.13.....

chuckstang

Established Member
every performance car manufacturer these days seems to spit out a hero run time of something...

Im surprised Ford did not follow suit. I mean, did they really have to take the new gt500 all the way to Germany to do track testing on that particular track and not even give us times since lets face it, thats pretty much its claim to fame. (what time a car runs there).

Im sure tracks in this country like laguna seca, VIR, road america, etc would make for adequate testing???

Last edited:

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
every performance car manufacturer these days seems to spit out a hero run time of something...

Im surprised Ford did not follow suit. I mean, did they really have to take the new gt500 all the way to Germany to do track testing on that particular track and not even give us times since lets face it, thats pretty much its claim to fame. (what time a car runs there).

Im sure tracks in this country like laguna seca, VIR, road america, etc would make for adequate testing???

they tested at all those tracks also...they tested at the 'ring so they could at least say "well we also tested it at the toughest, baddest track in the world" :shrug:

once again, dont care...most people (99.99%) of mustang, zl1, vette, viper, etc owners will ever go to that track, except if you live there

Last edited:

txviper

Established Member
Well, one things for sure. If it ran good times we would be hearing about it. So it must not have been that impressive.

Users who are viewing this thread