2014 GT M6 vs. Camaro ZL1

Laloosh

Established Member
Then they run across Base Model Brembo cars with Griggs/CorteX suspension mustangs and get lapped and go I thought I had a track car. They don't know what a track car is or what it takes to build one the 1LE is still heavier by a good 200lbs than a base GT. Track straight line the Mustang has it covered.

In regards to the thread the sad thing is the ZL1 with only a .03 difference vs a stock for stock comparision it's a drivers race end of story.

You sure about that? Got anything to back that up because in the real world the 302 ls can't even keep up and its running r comps.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
I know, right?

Nothing makes me giggle more seeing 1LE owners brag about how bad ass their cars are around a track, knowing that 95% of them haven't and never will step foot on a road course.
Correction, it goes to 5.0 owners as well, hell all type of car owners. Seen it and heard it from a bunch of people on different types of cars.

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Established Member
The ZL1 was a flop...

Chevy themselves pulled the "Z/28" badge from the ZL1 because, in their words, it wasn't worthy of the name. Obviously it wasn't change for legal contention and OEM requirements in Motorsport...

Simply, the 2012 ZL1 missed the mark (benched on the 2011 GT500).

Remember, it can run 11's all day, everyday...

Camaro_94

Brown Recluse Slayer
Established Member
The ZL1 was a flop...

Chevy themselves pulled the "Z/28" badge from the ZL1 because, in their words, it wasn't worthy of the name. Obviously it wasn't change for legal contention and OEM requirements in Motorsport...

Simply, the 2012 ZL1 missed the mark (benched on the 2011 GT500).

Remember, it can run 11's all day, everyday...

Yeah, because that just makes soo much sense. GM obviously hates the car. How can you pull something that didn't even happen? You act like the ZL1 was originally released as a Z28 to the public then they renamed it after it was out.

The ignorance coming from some of you is strong in this thread, and I can't tell if it's trolling or not. If you are, touché. You're doing a fine job.

Nobody says you have to like the car or buy it. But just because the GT500 is faster on the street in stock form, doesn't take away from the ZL1. They do respond to mods and it doesn't take much to get some serious power out of them.

You act like its got the performance of a Prius and it's going against a Bugatti veyron or some crazy shit. With a good driver and sticky tires, it shouldn't have any problems at all running into the 11's and being consistent with the auto trans.

Last edited:

Sick03Vert

Banned
Yeah, because that just makes soo much sense. GM obviously hates the car. How can you pull something that didn't even happen? You act like the ZL1 was originally released as a Z28 to the public then they renamed it after it was out.

I think it WAS actually renamed though BEFORE it was released to the public. However, I agree with you 100% though. If it wasn't the name when it was released, it can't be pulled. IF they had gone to market with it, had them on sale, THEN made the change, I would disagree with you....though that would probably mean agreeing with you again, because I think you'd agree that would be pulling it in that case. And I've gone cross-eyed. :dw:

The ignorance coming from some of you is strong in this thread, and I can't tell if it's trolling or not. If you are, touché. You're doing a fine job.

I lol'd. :D

Nobody says you have to like the car or buy it. But just because the GT500 is faster on the street in stock form, doesn't take away from the ZL1. They do respond to mods and it doesn't take much to get some serious power out of them.

I don't think the argument is whether or not the engine in the car is capable of making power. I'd actually argue that it is. I think the bigger issue is GM overpromised/under-delivered with the car, yet owners act like the car is the second coming or something. I think it's the attitude of the owners that cause the car to be hated. That, and you can have a supercharged SS for FAR less cash with very similar performance, though not with a warranty.

You act like its got the performance of a Prius and it's going against a Bugatti veyron or some crazy shit. With a good driver and sticky tires, it shouldn't have any problems at all running into the 11's and being consistent with the auto trans.

Again, I speak just for me, but I can't stand those cars due to the owners and the fact that GM promised something they did not deliver on.

This is normally the point where I say something rational like, "Besides, there are far worse cars to be had." However, when it comes to the ZL1, I'm not rational and still have to say I think it is a turd.

I just hate those cars. But that's my opinion. Yours could be 100% opposite and I would respect it. :beer:

And hopefully I didn't do anything considered to be trolling either. Though I STILL say the GT500 is the better car.

Sorry to have broken apart your post like that, but you hit a lot of good points. Think of it as more of a compliment. :beer:

:pop:

Last edited:

Kewlv8

Established Member

If this was 2010, the ZL1 would be more impressive. It's a barely warmed over CTS-V, and the bar has been raised. Don't get yourself wet over the ZL1 son, and by all means don't start the modded argument. C'mon now :nonono:.

OneSlowV

Established Member
Why hate the car if you don't even own one? They run right with the 2010-12 GT500 are those turds to then? For a 4200lb car they hold there own pretty damn good and are a hell of a track car and can run high 11s stock. I remember when the first gen GT500s were running 13s and mid 12s to me that's a turd if iv'e ever seen one. But that's your opinion good for you :)

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member
Why hate the car if you don't even own one? They run right with the 2010-12 GT500 are those turds to then? For a 4200lb car they hold there own pretty damn good and are a hell of a track car and can run high 11s stock. I remember when the first gen GT500s were running 13s and mid 12s to me that's a turd if iv'e ever seen one. But that's your opinion good for you :)

Bro, this is SVT. Someone in Pics & Vids said a 458 is incredibly slow in stock form:nonono: I love the ZL1, SHELBY and SRT8, not a bad word about either from me.

Sick03Vert

Banned
Bro, this is SVT. Someone in Pics & Vids said a 458 is incredibly slow in stock form:nonono: I love the ZL1, SHELBY and SRT8, not a bad word about either from me.

:dw:......:dw:......:??:......:dw:

Ferrari 458 Italia....slow? Yeah.....ok. Whoever that was isn't the brightest.

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member

MRSUPRA

Established Member
So much hate in this thread.

My 5.0 ran 11.7 on stock tires at 121. The car was good for 119-121 depending on the track. My last street race with that car just happened to be against a zl1 with headers and no tune. I was on drag radials and from a 20 roll he just spun and never caught me. From a 60 roll I got the initial jump of barely a car, by 140 we were dead even and after that he started to pull ahead. By 155 I was down a car. A bone stock 5.0 will not hang with a zl1 with equal drivers, its just not happening. Btw I traded my 5.0 for a 1le and here is my comparrison....take it for what is worth.

Price: The Mustang is cheaper. I got my 5.0 for 35ish which included everything but the glass roof/brembos/navigation. I got my 1le for 37ish and it is the 1ss with npp/rs. If you were to option out both cars equally the Mustang will always be cheaper.

Gas Mileage: The Mustang gets better gas mileage. Not much more to say here.

Straight Line Power: I took the 1le to the track with temp tags on a shitty night where I just did nothing but spin and it went 13.1 @ 110. ONn a nice night with more experience and a car that is not breaking it I can see this thing going 12.7ish at 111. Mustang "felt" quicker and snappier. However feelings should be left for your wife or girfriend. My Mustang went 12.64 @ 111.9 bone stock, full weight.

Handeling: There is no contest here. The 1le destorys the Mustang in every regard here. The tires are better, the suspension actually controls the car. The mustang was "floaty" and liked to wander around and step out at low limits. It was fun, but at the same time I always went into a turn with a quick turn in and then in the back of my head I wondered what will happen next. There was no point and shoot in that car, it was more like point and pray/react. The ride for casual Sunday strolls was better in the Mustang. It was softer, the 1le is a very stiff/solid car compared to 5.0.

Driveline: Overall I am giving the edge to the 1le here. Alhough the Mustang feels quicker, it also clunked, popped, wheel hopped, and did some wierd things. The 1le has more initial tq and feels smoother through the revs (this might be why it feels slower). There is no slop, no hop, no wierd clunks or pops. However the 1le has clutch chatter like crazy compared to the Mustang. When I first got the car and pulled out I pulled over and checked the oil because I though it was low based on chattering/spinning noises I heard at low rpm. It all seems to go away around 3k, however thats when the exhaust takes over and the car sounds glorious. The clutch on the Mustang felt better as well. The 1le clutch is VERY soft and catches very HIGH. The transmission in the Mustang felt smoother, with shorter/closer throws. My 1le tranny is stiffer and you can feel each gear going through the syncro. In the mustang the gears just poped/fell in with no effort.

Fit and Finish: I don't think there could be a clear winner here as it is based on opinoin. Both cars have plastic, both cars are American. The body panels line up, the interiors are both "Eh' imo. If I had to pic a winner here I would lean towards the camaro only because of the MyLink screen. If MyLink wasnt avaiable I would lean towards the Mustang.

Looks: Once again, personally opinion, but the 1le loooks more agressive, some people like that others don't want the added attention. I am 30 years old and the kid inside me giggles everytime I drive it and look at it. However I am glad this is not my daily driver as I would never take this car to a business meeting or any type of "serious" gathering. It is a little too "hey look at me" if you know what I mean.

Overall: If you are looking for a daily driver, the mustang is the way to go. If you are looking for a straight line car, the mustang is the way to go, but be prepared to spend some serious money after your basic bolt ons. I ended up going 11s at 121 with very basic bolts on the factory tires. If you are looking for a weekend toy, road course/autox type car, the 1le is by far the better choice.

For me this car will not be a daily driver, it will be a weekend car with occasional track use. No real serious plans for it, just going to enjoy it and modify later down the road.

Nice comparison write up. From everything I've read and seen , your review is spot on. Everything except the interior. To me the Camaro interior looks like plastic garbage compared to the Mustang.

Camaro_94

Brown Recluse Slayer
Established Member
If this was 2010, the ZL1 would be more impressive. It's a barely warmed over CTS-V, and the bar has been raised. Don't get yourself wet over the ZL1 son, and by all means don't start the modded argument. C'mon now :nonono:.

Don't start a modded argument? How many people who actively post on forums actually own a completely stock car? Check out your own sig. Why are we comparing stock to stock and acting like it's the only thing that's ever going to matter? Yes, the GT500 shouldn't have any problems taking a ZL1 in the 1/4 mile or on a highway with equal drivers. But how many people own completely stock cars that are willing to race them? Or have no intentions of modding it? It honestly wouldn't take that much for a ZL1 to run with a new GT500 on the street either.

Again, I speak just for me, but I can't stand those cars due to the owners and the fact that GM promised something they did not deliver on.

This is normally the point where I say something rational like, "Besides, there are far worse cars to be had." However, when it comes to the ZL1, I'm not rational and still have to say I think it is a turd.

I just hate those cars. But that's my opinion. Yours could be 100% opposite and I would respect it. :beer:

And hopefully I didn't do anything considered to be trolling either. Though I STILL say the GT500 is the better car.

Sorry to have broken apart your post like that, but you hit a lot of good points. Think of it as more of a compliment. :beer:

:pop:

:beer:

kaz109

Established Member

You are taking that post out of context, notice he said both cars would beat it? Its because somebody said a 458 should run those car and he said the 458 is slow and would lose

You also have to understand a 458 isn't a straight line car and considering his stable I am sure to him a 458 is slow in a straight line compared to his other cars

Last edited:

Nasty500

Banned
Seems crazy. It would seem more likely if it was a modded 5.0. Even if it was just intake, tune and exhaust.

As far as heat soak they don't get heat soaked cruising on the interstate with air moving over the HE at 70mph. It happens when you are sitting in stop and go traffic or doing multiple pulls and getting into high boost for a couple gears. Everyone acts like these get heat soaked pulling out of the driveway and that's not the case.

You can also take the driver error out of the argument unless he started in 5th gear it doesn't take a ton of skill to do a highway pull through two gears. I haven't had the experience of driving a ZL1 but it still seems unlikely when you look at the numbers stock vs stock

Users who are viewing this thread