2014 GT500 Purchase Help

Taylor02GT

Formerly ShadowGreyStang
Established Member
Good Morning, I’m a long time member here mostly lurking in the market area. I’ve had numerous sn95 and s197 GTs. My dad had a 2009 GT500 that lit a desire for one I can’t shake. I found a one owner 2014 GT500 with 76k miles in my price range. From what I can tell the motor is stock as well as the exhaust. It’s equipped with Nav and Recaros. The dealership is asking 38k and willing to deal as they don’t want to be stuck with it through the winter.

I was planning on going with a GT350 but the sentimental value just isn’t there. Plus they seem much higher maintenance and temperamental. With that being said I’m fairly comfortable with the 5.4L but don’t know much about the 5.8? I plan to keep this car as a weekend car in the garage driven very few miles. Besides suspension and exhaust I don’t plan to mod the motor if at all. These cars to me represent just about everything I’ve already wanted in a car. So essentially my questions are, are these motors reliable if unmolested? Are there any other concerns I should have?

fearthesnake

Established Member
Would def have a Compression check done since the motor has 70K+ miles on it.

If good and everything checks out, I see no reason why it would not be a reliable weekend cruiser for you. Especially if you plan to keep the motor stock and not adding more boost.

I'd definitely check it over good such as Clutch or any Rear end noise/whining.

Good luck.!

raustin0017

Established Member
Taylor...here are my 2-cents. The mileage tells me this was a daily driver and if there was a way to talk to the previous owner and find out more about the ownership would answer many questions. Most who DD would not abuse the vehicle. If you were to take it to a Ford Dealer they would be able to tell you if the Factory Tune has ever been messed with. Could have had bolt on parts and returned to factory tune with little effort.
If it were me...I would find a Ford Dealer who has a SVT certified mechanic and take it in for a full up inspection. Not all Ford Dealers have SVT guys/gals. Then make your decision. Good luck on the hunt! She is out there waiting for you.
Bob

Mulholland Man

Established Member
Definitely get the Compresession check and see if its been tuned/modded in past. I too think it should be a bit cheaper at that mileage but it really depends upon your market. If your in Cali that would be about right for market price methinks, mayble a little high. Obviously car fax it to make sure it hasn't been in any accidents and has clean title.

Taylor02GT

Formerly ShadowGreyStang
Established Member
Well I passed on it when I saw it tonight. Body was in rough enough shape that I would have turned it down anyways. But it had a pully, CAI, and no tuner in the car at all.

Just not the one I'm looking for.

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Good choice on your part. Keep looking as winter is coming and these cars tend to sit and become more negotiable.

Tom

COOL COBRA

Hell Yes!
Established Member
My opinion, bump up your price range a tad & score a nice ride. As you mentioned it'll be a rarely driven garage queen. I can relate to that. Start with a much lower mile car, it'll be a gem for many years afterwards. Good luck with the search & take your time.

Users who are viewing this thread