2014 Last GT500's Made

Franz

Speed Freak
Established Member
I'm looking forward to whatever comes out- so I can order one :)

Agreed! In fact I've already emailed my small Ford dealer to make sure I have his first allocation of the GT500's replacement. I would love to see SVT come to the table with an IRS-equipped 3,500 lb 5.0L twin-turbo making 650 hp. If they want to borrow the MRC suspension from GM I'd be OK with that too!

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
Agreed! In fact I've already emailed my small Ford dealer to make sure I have his first allocation of the GT500's replacement. I would love to see SVT come to the table with an IRS-equipped 3,500 lb 5.0L twin-turbo making 650 hp. If they want to borrow the MRC suspension from GM I'd be OK with that too!

Same here. Wish we knew more. I'm impatient

Fordfourlife

Established Member
Those almost look like super snake rims?
ku-xlarge.jpg

s4awd

Established Member
Muscle cars as we know it, will be gone. As most reviewers said about the Camaro, "this is not a muscle car...the ZL1 and GT500 are actually very different cars.". If you like muscle cars, the current Mustang is it. The next Mustang will be more in line to what the current Camaro is. End of an era but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
Muscle cars as we know it, will be gone. As most reviewers said about the Camaro, "this is not a muscle car...the ZL1 and GT500 are actually very different cars.". If you like muscle cars, the current Mustang is it. The next Mustang will be more in line to what the current Camaro is. End of an era but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Will all due respect. How do you know this to be true?

reason4treason

Established Member
with pretty much everybody having some sort of camera device in their pocket nowadays, and just like the C7 was, this is out in public cruising around, I'm surprised I have never ever heard of somebody just running up and snatching at least part of the berka off of any super-anticipated new vehicle and taking a few shots. it's not like they travel with armed guards. look what happens with celebs and paparazzi. not saying that's a good thing but there are people who will do anything for a buck which is why photogs are always following and spying hoping for a wardrobe malfunction.

they have some sort of padding under there to help disguise the shape too.

where could they be taking this car that they need to be out on public pavement in what looks like a strip mall someplace other than the boonies rather than just moving it from test site to test site in a closed carrier? if there's that much monetary value to secrecy, and there is, especially with the issue of trying to coordinate a new gen with an anniversary as significant as the 50th, why risk that? unless they wanted to be really sneaky, and give a faux sneaky peek of something that's not the real deal.

I'm also wondering how many times they'd get pulled over if they're driving around like that. how far do you think you'd get if you did up your car like that and took off on down the road? unless they're close to a place where such things are not all that uncommon.

Last edited:

5.0 guy

Established Member
I'm surprised I haven't seen anything here where I live, I always see the new cars come through here being on the Colorado side of For Corners. They always seem to come from the heat of AZ ten through the high altitude of the San Juan Mountains just South of me, I even saw four of the new Vipers when they were testing them. Just saw some kind of Pontiacs a couple days ago all wrapped just like that picture. I'm guessing Pontiacs from the body style but who knows and I hope they weren't Mustangs!

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
I'm surprised I haven't seen anything here where I live, I always see the new cars come through here being on the Colorado side of For Corners. They always seem to come from the heat of AZ ten through the high altitude of the San Juan Mountains just South of me, I even saw four of the new Vipers when they were testing them. Just saw some kind of Pontiacs a couple days ago all wrapped just like that picture. I'm guessing Pontiacs from the body style but who knows and I hope they weren't Mustangs!

Pontiacs? Pontiac ceased operation in 09. You mean Buicks?

5.0 guy

Established Member
Ha ha, you're right! Whatever they were the body style was ugly but pretty sure they weren't a Mistang, they had hatchbacks. I see a ton of cars in the camo this time of year so I will be watching.

s4awd

Established Member
Will all due respect. How do you know this to be true?

To compete with other cars performance numbers, 0-60, lateral g's, 1/4 mile and of course nurburgring times, cars have to be extremely efficient in putting power to the ground through sophisticated suspension and traction control systems. That power also has to come from a motor that gets high hp but has high mpg numbers as well. The muscle car formula of putting a bigger engine has its limits especially with a live axle. The current gt500 and 302 boss is most likely the zenith of the muscle car ethos. I'm sure the next mustang will look great but if it is anything like the Camaro, the muscle car appeal might not be there IMHO.

Aftrbrnr

Established Member
I think the big thing here is to be happy with what you have. What happens when the generation after the S550 is better performing than the upcoming GT350? (If that is the case).

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
To compete with other cars performance numbers, 0-60, lateral g's, 1/4 mile and of course nurburgring times, cars have to be extremely efficient in putting power to the ground through sophisticated suspension and traction control systems. That power also has to come from a motor that gets high hp but has high mpg numbers as well. The muscle car formula of putting a bigger engine has its limits especially with a live axle. The current gt500 and 302 boss is most likely the zenith of the muscle car ethos. I'm sure the next mustang will look great but if it is anything like the Camaro, the muscle car appeal might not be there IMHO.

I read this a couple times. And what I'm reading is that, to be a muscle car, it has to have high horsepower and a live axle. Got it.

nhs156

Established Member
Of course Ford will make the GT500 again. All it takes is a sticker and a couple of emblems, not to mention a big motor. While they may not be able to fit the current 5.8 under the hood of the next gen Mustang, they could simply attach a larger blower to a smaller displacement engine and get more HP. The next GT500 will be lighter, faster and better handling than ours, and whoever spent 500k on the last one at auction didnt do so wisely - unless the intent was simply to donate to charity.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I read this a couple times. And what I'm reading is that, to be a muscle car, it has to have high horsepower and a live axle. Got it.

I'm not quite sure that's the message he was trying to convey Chris. But I suppose if you consider what you said, from a historical perspective, big power and a live axle have pretty much implied muscle car and as such defined it.

I'll miss the simplicity and durability that the 8.8" (and 9" that came a bit before it) brought to the table. There is a huge industry that supports modifications to the rear axle, be it gears, axles, housings, etc. We have been lucky to have had such simplicity and commonality that prices have been very low. I can't wait to see what the '15 brings out back. Will the IRS be 8.8" based such as the T-Bird or Cobra center sections were? Or will it be all new and as such (I suspect), smaller?

No doubt the aftermarket will jump on the opportunity to produce an 8.8"/9" solid axle replacement for drag racing. Road racers work hard to embrace the new IRS. So you'll see bushing kits, spring kits, etc. I suspect there will be a market for larger half-shafts once those start snapping (GKN, etc).

I only hope that Ford creates more room in the wheel well than they allowed us in the S197 chassis. If it is smaller than the S197....holy crap what a disappointment that'll be.

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
I guess I just have a hard time understanding why people think that this will be the end of the muscle car.

The 03/04 Cobra had an IRS- still considered a muscle car.

This is just the "evolution" of the muscle car. I for one, can't wait to get my hands on the new top dog mustang :)

s4awd

Established Member

To me a "muscle car" is a car dominated by it's motor. Basically an imbalance between engine and chassis, live axle or not. Like a body builder, they can lift extremely heavy and large objects but can't do much else. Ahhnold is a good example of that. He's just cool to watch break things as a terminator. (pun intended for you SVT Cobra guys) The more rounded and balanced the car becomes, to me it will be viewed as a sports car. The Camaro is well on it's way and I'm guessing the next Mustang will be the same.

From the pics below, I've had my share of sports cars. If the Mustang was similar to my other cars, I wouldn't be interested. I just hope Ford keeps the formula intact. The others are extremely fast and agile but I've always had a thing for muscle cars good and bad. When I saw the GT500, I was like.......I WANT THAT!!!!!

IMG_2336.gif

IMG_0723.gif

2009_GTR_M318.gif

93a678ee-af0f-4bd8-a53c-29db1d6164d6.gif

Last edited:

mustangc

This too shall pass
Established Member
I just can't figure out how a Camaro is not considered a muscle car... Or more succinctly a pony car. It, the Challenger, and the Mustang are all examples of modern evolution of the genre... Because, well, they DEFINE the genre. They don't fit into it, it takes its identity from them.

And I don't see how any Camaro is more balanced than say as Boss 302. Different, yes, but more sportscar like. Lololololol. That was GM's spin to save face after getting completely blindsided by Trinity.

Last edited:

Iceman5000

Speedfreak
Established Member
I just can't figure out how a Camaro is not considered a muscle car... Or more succinctly a pony car. It, the Challenger, and the Mustang are all examples of modern evolution of the genre... Because, we'll, they DEFINE the genre. They don't fit into it, it takes its identity from them.

And I don't see how any Camaro is more balanced than say as Boss 302. Different, yes, but more sportscar like. Lololololol. That was GM's spin to save face after getting completely blindsided by Trinity.

+1,

Except the reason a camaro isn't considered a muscle car is because it has no muscle! :banana:

Users who are viewing this thread