2014 Z/28 vs 2014 911 GT3

openaccount

Established Member
LOL Andy Pilgrim.

He's only been a GM racing driver for ever, currently is in the CTSV race car in SCCA world challange. A car that is basically identical to the Z/28 race car of the Rolex series, of course he likes the Z/28 better. I love the direction GM went with the Z/28 and wish more would follow suit but andy's word here means nothing.

Last edited:

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
Recently, I added 500lbs of weight to my car along with $30,000 worth of suspension to beat other production cars on relatively short very low speed tracks on street tires due to balance and grip, it was posted on the internetz if you haven't seen... However, I went to the road course in the real world and got stomped by everything lighter and more powerful because no one in their right ****ing mind races at an event with production cars on street tires.

But it's okay, MT said my car is a track monster, balanced with a ton of grip around the corners yo. PS, my 4,000lb, $75,000 car that can't beat a 116mph trapping car convincingly also looks so badass.

2014-camaro-z28-920-8.jpg

These interior ergonomics because race car.

2014-camaro-z28-920-11.jpg

soccer-mullet.jpg

Last edited:

big reg

Gets his shit pushed in
Established Member
Recently, I added 500lbs of weight to my car along with $30,000 worth of suspension to beat other production cars on relatively short very low speed tracks on street tires due to balance and grip, it was posted on the internetz if you haven't seen... However, I went to the road course in the real world and got stomped by everything lighter and more powerful because no one in their right ****ing mind races at an event with production cars on street tires.

But it's okay, MT said my car is a track monster, balanced with a ton of grip around the corners yo. PS, my 4,000lb, $75,000 car that can't beat a 116mph trapping car convincingly also looks so badass.

2014-camaro-z28-920-8.jpg

These interior ergonomics because race car.

2014-camaro-z28-920-11.jpg

soccer-mullet.jpg

:lol::lol: The mullet pic is ****ing priceless.

On another note, I lost a little respect when i found out GM conducted this press event. It was not a magazine conducted test and they were limited in what they were allowed to release in regards to times etc...

Not to mention the more I read about GM latest bullshit, I am beginning to lose respect. Check out the article I posted today in Road Side.

I do like the way it looks though and as a lifelong Camaro fan I would own one at 55-60k just to have but with ADM forget about it.

Last edited:

kcsvt94l

1D 10 T Error
Established Member
People are still trying to justify a 75k price tag on a 48k car. CLASSIC!

Like has been said time after time, the car without the price tag and without it's silly tires, is just another heavy 5th gen. if you buy one of these over a c7 z51, you deserve to be castrated. Oh but it's 50,000 cheaper than a GT3!!! yeah, and it's still an equally ugly as it is heavy 5th gen!

These cars are simply for novelty less than 10% will actually be a true track car, and 9.99% of those will change 70% of the cars parts INCLUDING the overrated factory magnetic ride & the Trofeos. It's ok maybe 2016 they'll put in the LS9 and call it a Z/29............. and still get pulled by the Porsche in the straights!

:pop:

Last edited:

6.0GTO

Established Member
For the less informed or just unable to read the Z does not have the mag ride shocks. The shocks they are using are better in nearly every way.

The up coming magazine tests that happen each year at Laguna and other tracks will be interesting.

4u 2 nv

I aint nobody
Established Member
People are still trying to justify a 75k price tag on a 48k car. CLASSIC!

:pop:

I enjoy your math. You couldn't buy a 5th gen roller chassis and the build this car for $48k. Your gonna be over $30k with the motor, trans, f/r brakes and wheels and tires alone. We haven't even touched the suspension, rearend, recaros, etc etc

kcsvt94l

1D 10 T Error
Established Member
It's a moot point, the car is silly, over priced, over hyped, and..... Still a 5th Gen! How can you not realize, you put the trofeo's on a c7 z51, it'll dominate the z/28 for 11-13k less. Chevy just keeps trying to milk every last dime out of the Camaro crowd. The ZL1 is a joke, and so is the z/28, GM should just stick to the one vehicle that is worth mentioning the rest should burn up with ignition switch failures. It's clear you're a Camaro fanboy, I'm sorry you're upset but facts are what they are.:pop:

4u 2 nv

I aint nobody
Established Member
Do some research. You will she thread after thread after thread of me mentioning how much I despise the 5th gen as a whole. The z28 though is far from a joke...or pile of junk...or whatever the word of the week is.

With that.....we both know the buyer of a Z28 is not sitting down with his sales rep doing a cost and bang for your buck comparison of the Z28 vs C7. For me money aside I'd take the Z28 all day for its niche status. Does the c7 do it for less? Sure. So does a $500 fox body with $50k in racing equipment on it.

Sonic605hp

Resident Prick.
Established Member
My God you're such a fanboy leg humper. No Camaro will EVER 'mop the floor' with a 911 GT3. You've had too much SKOAL today, go take a nap.

I total agree it's a hell of a car with a stick. anybody can drive auto. their nothing wrong with bench mark the 911. if here that word again, it was the alpha platform it would mop the floor with the 911. for car that weight what the z/28 do it did a dam good job against a car that 700lbs ligher.

kcsvt94l

1D 10 T Error
Established Member
Do some research. You will she thread after thread after thread of me mentioning how much I despise the 5th gen as a whole. The z28 though is far from a joke...or pile of junk...or whatever the word of the week is.

With that.....we both know the buyer of a Z28 is not sitting down with his sales rep doing a cost and bang for your buck comparison of the Z28 vs C7. For me money aside I'd take the Z28 all day for its niche status. Does the c7 do it for less? Sure. So does a $500 fox body with $50k in racing equipment on it.

What I do know is if a Z/28 hopeful is foolish enough to buy a Z/28 over a C7 he clearly hasn't done his research and will be the perfect target for "Salesman" They'll be pitching the Z/28 like it's the second coming of jesus christ. When stock for stock the difference between their track performance is splitting C-Hairs. I can hear them now "A C7 is no match for the almighty z/28!!!"

Fact of the matter is, it's still the ugliest Camaro to date, I dont' care if it were 20k I wouldn't wish my worst enemy to be caught inside one. It's a mid teen trap car for 75k! who cares that it wasn't "BUILT" for that purpose. While I wasn't overly hot on the 2000 Cobra R, at the time it was the fastest mustang to date, the fastest Ford period for that matter. It was also a lot more limited from a production standpoint, and it was the testbed for shoving the massive DOHC 5.4 into a mustang engine bay which was revolutionary for the brand. The Z/28 is like meh, we got some left over LS7's lets through them in a 5th gen and charge ridiculous money for something! They were dumb enough to buy the ZL1, lets make a "Handling" car and charge EVEN MORE!!

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
LOL Andy Pilgrim.

He's only been a GM racing driver for ever, currently is in the CTSV race car in SCCA world challange. A car that is basically identical to the Z/28 race car of the Rolex series, of course he likes the Z/28 better. I love the direction GM went with the Z/28 and wish more would follow suit but andy's word here means nothing.

This. Pilgram is a factory driver for GM. Of course he is going to be biased. GM marketing at its best!

Scratch that, 25 on the ring in the dry is classic GM marketing, when they had trouble breaking 40 in the dry.

Last edited:

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
This. Pilgram is a factory driver for GM. Of course he is going to be biased. GM marketing at its best!

Scratch that, 25 on the ring in the dry is classic GM marketing, when they had trouble breaking 40 in the dry.
I want to know who wants to drive a heavier, slower, less comfortable car on a road course. Oh yea, a GM paid driver.

Does anyone know if the new GT3 comes in manual?
THAT is is the ONLY reason why people would pick the car, & price aside (you get what you pay for), GT3 all the way.

Ninjak

Posting from The Shadow's
Established Member
As I have said many times Kudo's on building the car and having it do what it was built for.

Now lets talk in the realm of realities. The Z/28 is built to road race. Its missing many things that would make the car comfortable on the street. IT WILL NOT BE A DD or weekend have fun. It will be a go to the track on race day and do some laps, go home. Those wonderful tires will last how long ? Two full sessions ? maybe ? So the z/28 owner will be doing the same thing anyone else who does tracking.....buying new tires on the regular. Taking bets on what % will keep the original tires. The brakes. Yes they are wonderful as well. Again how long will they last ? Same bet on % that keeps the same setup.

Stock, the Z/28 preforms so well because of the tires it comes on. 50 tread wear ? People are acting like this a everyday tire you go to the store on. The other cars in the test are actually on a street tire. A expensive one for sure, but still a street tire. So I will stand with the group of put the similar tire on and test...either way. Street tire on Z/28 or Race tire on the other cars.

So for the % of people who actually buy this car, they will no doubt be doing the same exact thing all others do that go to the track events. It is then I would like to see time and numbers.

cam346

Established Member
My God you're such a fanboy leg humper. No Camaro will EVER 'mop the floor' with a 911 GT3. You've had too much SKOAL today, go take a nap.

never say never and yes I like gm and your point. I like all cars soi leghump a lot more cars than chevy. if this was a boss or gt500 running a time like this you be the biggest leghumper.thanks for your opinion. have a nice day

Got Torque

well do yah?
Established Member
Test is worthless.
Since the Z/28 is the Camaro road race car why not compare it to Porsche's true road race car, the upcoming GT3RS. Heck compare it to the 997 GT3RS to see how it compares to that.

For the poster who asked the 991 GT3 is only available with the PDK. Rumors have the 991 GT3RS having a 7sp stick option but it looks like the car has been delayed due to the fire issues and stop sale of the GT3. : (

Last edited:

aoc racer

Ford is hella cool
Established Member
Why the hell would anybody compare those two cars? A Z/28 isn't even in the same league as a GT3.

I think Chevy is making a desparate attempt to compare this car with the big players. I like how in the past few comparisons with other supercars, they mention how the camaro is better in the straights. Duh! with power like that it better. Still I am impressed with the Z/28 but would take the GT3 on any day of the week

kcsvt94l

1D 10 T Error
Established Member
I think Chevy is making a desparate attempt to compare this car with the big players. I like how in the past few comparisons with other supercars, they mention how the camaro is better in the straights. Duh! with power like that it better. Still I am impressed with the Z/28 but would take the GT3 on any day of the week

actually, they mentioned the opposite. it's slower in straights because it's terrible aerodynamics and fatness. The only thing the Z/28 has done is proven how great the Corvette engineering is as opposed to how Insane the LS7 motor is. That's ok i'm not knocking the motor, i'm knocking the ridiculous price and the marketing gimmick of 50 treadware tires on a 5th gen.

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
:lol::lol: The mullet pic is ****ing priceless.

On another note, I lost a little respect when i found out GM conducted this press event. It was not a magazine conducted test and they were limited in what they were allowed to release in regards to times etc...

Not to mention the more I read about GM latest bullshit, I am beginning to lose respect. Check out the article I posted today in Road Side.

I do like the way it looks though and as a lifelong Camaro fan I would own one at 55-60k just to have but with ADM forget about it.

Don't lose faith yet man. I bet the next one will give everything a run for it's money in every department. The Mustang probably won't have shit on it, except in the styling department. I'm waiting patiently....

However, until then, I will run a muck in these threads. This is the most disappointing car to ever have a Camaro badge with all things considered, (overall performance, styling, ergonomics, price, etc). It is so easy to create a false perception on the internet. The fact that the majority of people celebrating these "magazine lap times" have NEVER been to a road course event in their lives makes it even better.

When you're talking about a ZR1, GT-R, Z06 or Viper doing damage on road courses it's okay since they're light, powerful and very balanced in all venues. They dominate on all corners, hi-speed race tracks, the drag strip, street, etc. There's no need to trick anyone, run into one and you will likely have your hands full regardless of what last week's issue of motor trend told you.

However, when you talk about a fat piece of 4,000lb shit that has a ton of grip around lower speed tracks with magazines creating hype and publicity for it, I just want to bitch slap poodles. Especially when this is a ****ing $75,000 CAMARO.

If it was an overpriced black series gorgeous C63, or a CSL M3, fine. They aren't mind blowing, but they're super refined and great to look at. But when you have this goofy ass turd....:lol:

I just hope Ford doesn't follow suit in the hopes of creating a successful marketing campaign built around gayness. If they produce a no option, 4klb land yacht that's underpowered with a ton of grip on r-compounds to produce "rag lap times yo" I'll be ****ing pissed! Handling is nice and all, but these are pony cars! Buy a Corvette if you are a diehard road course hunter. Even the $50k Cobra R back in 2001 was not my cup of tea, and that thing was side by side next to 2001 Z06s in any venue.

Also, if you are a casual road course racer that races on factory tires, I'd like to introduce you to space. Float around for awhile. You won't even get through 3 full laps until the tires are bald and your brake pads need to be replaced, so you can let go of that fantasy.

Last edited:

Z25OH

WINGING IT
Established Member
Don't lose faith yet man. I bet the next one will give everything a run for it's money in every department. The Mustang probably won't have shit on it, except in the styling department. I'm waiting patiently....

However, until then, I will run a muck in these threads. This is the most disappointing car to ever have a Camaro badge with all things considered, (overall performance, styling, ergonomics, price, etc). It is so easy to create a false perception on the internet. The fact that the majority of people celebrating these "magazine lap times" have NEVER been to a road course event in their lives makes it even better.

When you're talking about a ZR1, GT-R, Z06 or Viper doing damage on road courses it's okay since they're light, powerful and very balanced in all venues. They dominate on all corners, hi-speed race tracks, the drag strip, street, etc. There's no need to trick anyone, run into one and you will likely have your hands full regardless of what last week's issue of motor trend told you.

However, when you talk about a fat piece of 4,000lb shit that has a ton of grip around lower speed tracks with magazines creating hype and publicity for it, I just want to bitch slap poodles. Especially when this is a ****ing $75,000 CAMARO.

If it was an overpriced black series gorgeous C63, or a CSL M3, fine. They aren't mind blowing, but they're super refined and great to look at. But when you have this goofy ass turd....:lol:

I just hope Ford doesn't follow suit in the hopes of creating a successful marketing campaign built around gayness. If they produce a no option, 4klb land yacht that's underpowered with a ton of grip on r-compounds to produce "rag lap times yo" I'll be ****ing pissed! Handling is nice and all, but these are pony cars! Buy a Corvette if you are a diehard road course hunter. Even the $50k Cobra R back in 2001 was not my cup of tea, and that thing was side by side next to 2001 Z06s in any venue.

Also, if you are a casual road course racer that races on factory tires, I'd like to introduce you to space. Float around for awhile. You won't even get through 3 full laps until the tires are bald and your brake pads need to be replaced, so you can let go of that fantasy.

sigh...........well said sir....well said

:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread