2015 Ford Mustang engine and underhood spied for first time

908ssp

Established Member
This red render looks terrific. Sure hope it looks like that.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Jroc

Established Member
They're talking about the engine bay being tightened up, they need to quite BS'ing around and find a way to tighten up those strut towers, and throw a SLA front suspension in there to complement the new IRS.

kingnut

Established Member
Shit im almost gonna wait for this beast just because of the gauges. #1 thing i hate about the 13 is the lame ass boring gauges.

Badasp5.0

Established Member
They're talking about the engine bay being tightened up, they need to quite BS'ing around and find a way to tighten up those strut towers, and throw a SLA front suspension in there to complement the new IRS.

A SLA would ROCK. Its a shame the (new edge) FR500 was never produced or at least its SLA suspension.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
it's a test mule, they probably just threw some gauges in there. it's not like the people that will be driving it need some red marking to tell them where the rev limiter is, their the ones setting the rev limit.

Jroc

Established Member
it's a test mule, they probably just threw some gauges in there. it's not like the people that will be driving it need some red marking to tell them where the rev limiter is, their the ones setting the rev limit.

Exactly. The cars motor might redline at 7,500 rpm's for all we know. When developing these new sports cars the manufactures don't want real specifics getting out. That's why the camouflage them.

03dsgdreams

Established Member
Will the 15 be new from the ground up or will it be based off the current platform/chassis. I heard some one say it may be built on the new fusion platform which I doubt because that's a front wheel drive platform.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
Will the 15 be new from the ground up or will it be based off the current platform/chassis. I heard some one say it may be built on the new fusion platform which I doubt because that's a front wheel drive platform.
short answer: based on current platform

long answer:
it was originally to be built on a new 'global rear wheel drive' platform that would've also underpinned the australian ford falcon. the falcon is a massively important car to ford of oz and they didn't want north america ****ing it up, so they wanted to be the group that engineered this new platform. but ford HQ in north america wanted to develop the platform because it would underpin the mustang and was supposed to underpin a lincoln sedan.
fast forward about a year and the GRWD platform was stuck in development hell due to corporate politics, so it was canceled altogether. this means that the falcon's future is currently in limbo, with word that it will either continue on the current platform(and be uncompetitive and outdated against the holden commodore), show up as an AWD model on the ford taurus D3 platform, or be built on a stretched and modified mustang platform.
now, with the cancellation of the GRWD platform, the mustang will continue on the S197/D2C platform that it currently rides on. of course, it's being revised and improved upon, similar to the transition from fox body to SN95(maybe even greater platform changes for the '15 mustang).

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Established Member

Look up Fords Virtual Pivot Control Link front suspension. If the Mac is done, that's what it will have. It was made to compliment the Control Blade IRS. I will do some research and see if it's Short-Long Arm, Double Wishbone or Mac based and get back to you.

Edit: VP Control link is a design all it's own. It is similar to SLA/double wishbone however... It seems it shares more with a Multilink Rear suspension than a front. Still operates similar to SLA, designed to keep the tire base parallel to the road surface when suspension overloads.

Rather than having a single or fixed shape upper or lower suspension arm (A-arm) these designs use multiple links that allow for the geometry to change throughout the arc of steering and suspension movement. They were first seen on high-end Euro sedans (Mercs, Audi, BMW) in the 1990's and are now becoming more commonplace.
dd_virtualpivot.jpg

I thought it was going to be direct injected. It looked like there were overhead fuel rails.

The DI Coyote will likely be saved as an ace in the hole for a mid-model engine upgrade. No need to play that card yet... If it is available day one, I bet there is a PTWA Coyote coming soon, perhaps similar to the 5.4 to 5.8 upgrade. Maybe a nice Coyote 5.3 or 5.4 to use in the SVT down the road. There is the TT 5.0 still lurking.

Last edited:

Dan12GT

Established Member
I am not a fan of the renderings at all. Glad it will still have the 5.0 in it and am itching to see what kind of power it will make.

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Established Member
I am not a fan of the renderings at all. Glad it will still have the 5.0 in it and am itching to see what kind of power it will make.

The current 5.0 could see a small power bump due to the new, less restrictive exhaust route. With the solid axle, the exhaust is routed up and over the axle. With IRS, the exhaust is more direct. A small 5-10hp is all I would expect, if that. The only real change would be from the axle back, and that's not going to return a major increase.

Direct injection could be good for 20-30hp and there are other intake options. The Boss 302 is Ford's internal benchmark for the 2015 GT performance wise. Not a difficult task being 200lbs lighter and producing equal amounts of horsepower and torque.

Calling it now, 426hp, 396tq at 3419lbs before DI. 450hp/420tq and 29mpg highway on the 2nd Gen Coyote.

Last edited:

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
The current 5.0 could see a small power bump due to the new, less restrictive exhaust route. With the solid axle, the exhaust is routed up and over the axle. With IRS, the exhaust is more direct. A small 5-10hp is all I would expect, if that. The only real change would be from the axle back, and that's not going to return a major increase.

Direct injection could be good for 20-30hp and there are other intake options. The Boss 302 is Ford's internal benchmark for the 2015 GT performance wise. Not a difficult task being 200lbs lighter and producing equal amounts of horsepower and torque.

Calling it now, 426hp, 396tq at 3419lbs before DI. 450hp/420tq and 29mpg highway on the 2nd Gen Coyote.

The new Ford Racing intake is worth 26 horses over the old Boss intake. So if Ford were to incorporate that design into the 2nd gen coyote it would put it at 470 without direct injection. With direct injection and an NA coyote could be near 500.

Users who are viewing this thread